U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 10:07 AM

7,056 posts, read 3,891,410 times

Advertisements

Reading about Jim's experience at the RE closing reminded me of when my daughter bought her first little house. The closing at the title company was scheduled well in advance. I was there as well as the sellers but no daughter and no bank mortgage rep. We got a call from my daughter who was at the bank with the mortgage rep -- they were going to be delayed but would be there soon. When they finally got there over an hour late, it turns out that the bank didn't have enough money on hand to write a check for the sellers. This was a small-town branch of a huge banking outfit in Kansas City. They had to convince the parent bank to send the local branch enough money to write the check and that delayed everything. The title people handling the closing were livid. The sellers were concerned but calm. Apparently, nobody thought to look in the safe until the last minute. This was not a huge amount of money so it makes you wonder how the banking system operates.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:24 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,272,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Reading about Jim's experience at the RE closing reminded me of when my daughter bought her first little house. The closing at the title company was scheduled well in advance. I was there as well as the sellers but no daughter and no bank mortgage rep. We got a call from my daughter who was at the bank with the mortgage rep -- they were going to be delayed but would be there soon. When they finally got there over an hour late, it turns out that the bank didn't have enough money on hand to write a check for the sellers. This was a small-town branch of a huge banking outfit in Kansas City. They had to convince the parent bank to send the local branch enough money to write the check and that delayed everything. The title people handling the closing were livid. The sellers were concerned but calm. Apparently, nobody thought to look in the safe until the last minute. This was not a huge amount of money so it makes you wonder how the banking system operates.
I'm in NYC and when I went to take out $10,000 from our own acct to pay various home repair people, the bank told me I should have called beforehand to make sure they had enough money on hand. It really makes you wonder about what they do with your own money. One thing I do think is that where ever they're putting it, it's probably making more for them than it is for us.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:09 AM

8,023 posts, read 11,797,335 times
I may have mentioned that last year, after sitting in my apt and wasting 2 yrs of my life trying to find a house in northern michigan to retire to I finally moved about halfway back to my parents old house. In the midst of that a lot on a small lake that had been on the market and I'd seen several years ago, went back on the market. Not thinking I wanted to live in my home town forever I decided I didn't want to let the lot go by since I'd been looking so long even though I did not want to build. So I bought it while I was still moving.
Meanwhile, I've found much to my surprise, I'm relatively content in my crap old home town and my parents old house.
The lot is a nice little spot, but it was a spot to live in full time. Had I known I would be setting it up for seasonal use (I put an RV on it) I would have elected for something more remote. There is no wildlife. I have more wildlife at my parents old house, if you count woodchucks, skunks, racoons etc. as wildlife. For seasonal i would have gone to the UP with the hopes of
experiencing wolf howls at night before I die. Little worried about all the money I've spent in the last year. More than in the last 20! I've overpaid for everything. Don't know how people not do that. The RV dealer had the best interest rates through a couple of local banks, but they turned me down since I had no credit history other than my credit card. Apt for the last 11 years, cash for car. That was sort of weird. My small home town bank loaned me the money.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:19 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,272,230 times
Gisela, if you don't want or need that lot, can't you rent it out to make extra money or even sell it so you can afford to go the UP to hear those wolf howls?
I imagine the RV on it would come in handy for someone who's planning to build on, or just rent for while because of the lake access. It may be that dream location for someone who enjoys fishing or canoeing.

Being content where you live is a good thing! Even dream locations can lose their appeal or become the norm after you live there for any length of time. That's something that I can't through to my husband as we search for our retirement home. He want's easy access to the shore so he can spend summers laying in the sun on the beach. The irony of that is we live on an island. We're literally 5 minutes drive time away from the beach but we never go. We've lost the excitement of living so close to our beaches because we're just so used to them, been there, done that etc... so on vacation we go to another beach town.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:56 AM

7,478 posts, read 1,655,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Being content where you live is a good thing! Even dream locations can lose their appeal or become the norm after you live there for any length of time. That's something that I can't through to my husband as we search for our retirement home. He want's easy access to the shore so he can spend summers laying in the sun on the beach. The irony of that is we live on an island. We're literally 5 minutes drive time away from the beach but we never go. We've lost the excitement of living so close to our beaches because we're just so used to them, been there, done that etc... so on vacation we go to another beach town.
Good point, Elliedeee!

When we were looking for our retirement home, we really had to examine if we wanted to pay more for a waterfront lot when we could get a very nice wooded lot less than a mile from the community (and very scenic) waterfront park for about 40% of the cost. We decided to go the cheaper route, and what entered into our decision was (1) for about six months out of the year, the bay is frozen over, so it is indistinguishable from a very large white meadow or field, (2) the bay is only warm enough to swim about two months out of the year, and we don't swim or "sun", anyway, and (3) sunsets last only about a half hour at most (usually).

We decided that if we do want to enjoy a sunset, we will pack a small picnic with a bottle of wine, walk to the waterfront park, and enjoy the view at zero cost to us -- plus the walk will do us good!

Last edited by katharsis; 07-30-2019 at 10:16 AM..

Old 07-30-2019, 10:38 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Just listening to the 9:30 news here in the Phoenix area, and we have had a Lyft driver murdered!! They showed his picture; a nice-looking older man, possibly a retiree working for extra $$. Survived by a heart-broken wife and family.

So now the police are searching for a murderer. I hate this violence!!!

Old 07-31-2019, 05:45 AM

4,880 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Same here, Holly. The mother of 3 small kids was murdered by her husband a few days ago. She was found in a landfill. She was divorcing him.

Three little kids left without a mother. They are in protective custody.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:56 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,619,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
...I hate this violence!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Same here, Holly...
Recognizing that things like these have always happened, and that there were some serious societal problems of that era...I sometimes yearn for the innocence of the 50's and 60's when we were youngsters. People seem to have more respect for each other back then. It all started changing in the late 60's, (for reasons we all know and need not be rehashed for the umpteenth time).

This is probably why I wanted to escape the multi-million population megalopolis of my work life and retire to a smaller, somewhat isolated town. Mayberry does still exist, albeit in very few places.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-31-2019, 12:26 PM

7,478 posts, read 1,655,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Recognizing that things like these have always happened, and that there were some serious societal problems of that era...I sometimes yearn for the innocence of the 50's and 60's when we were youngsters. People seem to have more respect for each other back then. It all started changing in the late 60's, (for reasons we all know and need not be rehashed for the umpteenth time).

This is probably why I wanted to escape the multi-million population megalopolis of my work life and retire to a smaller, somewhat isolated town. Mayberry does still exist, albeit in very few places.
I feel the same way. (Sometimes I think I would like to have a group of us "nice" posters form our own little real life community, and just shut the rest of the world out as much as possible!)

Old 08-01-2019, 12:57 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,678,707 times
SOOOOOOOOOO now that I have a real lawn with green grass and everything, I decided to get an electric mower. No more gas, no more pulling that stupid cord, push a button and it starts and it's quiet. I already have an electric weed eater.

A neighborhood kid walked by asked if I needed help with yard work as he is looking to make money for school supplies. You're hired kid. So I sit back and watch this kid mow and weed eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement