U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 09:52 AM

7,420 posts, read 1,640,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
i was looking for a thread about these events, but nothing. I guess that isn't allowed in the current events or state forums?
There are several under the Politics and Other Controversies. When I first started reading City Data, I wondered why they weren't under Current Events, but that is because, invariably, they turn into a discussion of gun control vs. the Second Amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 07:21 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
Heavy thunderstorms woke me up around three and continued until six this morning. The distant thunder lulled me just to the point of sleeping again when a large clap of thunder went off directly overhead. Power went out for a few seconds, long enough to send our generic Roomba out of its docking station to start vacuuming. It took a few seconds to realize what I was hearing. I was fully awake after that.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:37 AM

7,420 posts, read 1,640,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Heavy thunderstorms woke me up around three and continued until six this morning. The distant thunder lulled me just to the point of sleeping again when a large clap of thunder went off directly overhead. Power went out for a few seconds, long enough to send our generic Roomba out of its docking station to start vacuuming. It took a few seconds to realize what I was hearing. I was fully awake after that.
Funny!! Thanks for that!

Old 08-06-2019, 08:26 AM

11,196 posts, read 12,670,225 times
Going to get my drivers license renewed this morning. In Colorado you can renew online unless you're TOO OLD like me and have to renew in person for a vision test. Guess I'll bring my lunch, a book, sleeping bag?

UGH

Old 08-06-2019, 08:48 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,269,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Going to get my drivers license renewed this morning. In Colorado you can renew online unless you're TOO OLD like me and have to renew in person for a vision test. Guess I'll bring my lunch, a book, sleeping bag?

UGH
Jim, Why do they make you go down there? Don't they just give you that silly 'read the second line from the bottom' test? I thought I had to go down to renew too but was able to renew mine online after getting a vision test by a eye doc. I had to give DMV the name, address and license number of doctor which was written on the paper he gave me along with the results.
I paid DMV, and got my license.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:49 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Quote:

UGH

Do you wear glasses? If you do, your eye doctor can fill out a form with your vision info and you won't have to take the eye test.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:59 AM

24,354 posts, read 18,155,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Just a small vent. My daughter just e-mailed me that her car is acting up again and she had to take it to the dealership and she can't really afford a repair and she doesn't know how she will get to school (where she is training to be a beautician). She lives more than 200 miles away, so what does she expect me to do about it -- unless she wants to take another amount from the emergency fund we had set up for her? (She has taken a third of it in the last four years, and "when it's gone, it's gone".) Maybe she was just venting, but ARGHHH!

What makes me so angry/irritated is that she divorced a good man just because he was "too critical", and so now she's a single mom of three young kids and "crying" to me because she is having problems?! ARGHHH!

(I told her I was sorry to hear it, and to let me know how it goes. Again, I'm just venting here.)
A car problem in an area where there is little to no public transportation is really a showstopper. I couldn't function without a car for more than a few days.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:23 PM

11,196 posts, read 12,670,225 times
Well that took exactly 5 minutes. Took longer for me to drive there. Here after 65 you're required to renew in person. I don't wear glasses vision 20/20. So after 5 minutes and $32.00 later, I have my driver's license for another 5 years, my REAL ID license.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:40 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
Two plastic buckets I have outside had over 8” water in them from rain the last few days. I dumped them and refilled the birdbath, so there’s no stagnant water for mosquitoes to hatch. It’s steamy hot today.

I have a new pineapple growing, the passionfruit vine has flowers and fruit and the cocoplum has some ripe fruit. I’ve never tasted a cocoplum and heard they don’t have much flavor. I’ll try one and send the rest, minus the seed, for the kid’s chickens. I’ve only had store eggs all these years and fresh eggs from their chickens are so good!

Chat Thread-d1f05ef3-3f57-4db9-8ab3-3257672caf4e.jpeg

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-06-2019 at 01:12 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 01:26 PM
JRR

3,867 posts, read 2,318,170 times
Quote:
Well that took exactly 5 minutes. Took longer for me to drive there. Here after 65 you're required to renew in person. I don't wear glasses vision 20/20. So after 5 minutes and $32.00 later, I have my driver's license for another 5 years, my REAL ID license.
The last time we renewed our license in Florida, it was not a fun time. Set up an appointment online, walked in the door and there wasn't even an empty chair to sit and wait. The actual vision test and getting the new license was quick, but we were still there close to 90 minutes. None of the staff was the least bit friendly. Cost was over $50

When we moved here and got our new Tennessee license, We just walked in the door. It took about 20 minutes, everyone was what we have come to call "Cookeville Friendly" and the cost was $28. And it is good until 2525
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement