U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-09-2019, 08:44 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
Reputation: 15595

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm checking in after a L-O-N-G absence.



Well I am now officially retired. Officer Clark transitioned into "semi-retirement" last September, but since the beginning of this summer I am now fully retired.


I bought a new car ... a Hyundai. I took a couple of road trips in my new car. With a buddy I took a few weeks driving down south to Miami via Norfolk, Charleston, Savannah, and St. Augustine. On the way back we went a different way: through northern Georgia, the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Shenandoah, etc. It was a great trip. My buddy, an attorney who also just retired this year, was something of a nag though (a motorcyclist, he always wanted me to go faster even though I was exceeding the speed limit).

 
Old 08-09-2019, 09:16 PM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Reputation: 9036
Congratulations on being fully retired! That route through Virginia was my favorite to drive with the mountains and scenery. Nice trip to break in a car!
 
Old 08-10-2019, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Reputation: 26582
Spent the day with the doggie and a friend playing in the ….. snow.
 
Old 08-10-2019, 09:54 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
Reputation: 15595
I just got back from another road trip ... a short 5 day one through central and southwestern Pennsylvania. It had a theme: tragedy and triumph: Gettysburg battlefield, Flight 93 National Memorial in Shanksville, and the Flood Museum in Johnstown.



A neighbor of mine was a passenger on Flight 93, an elderly woman named Hilda. She was the oldest passenger on that ill fated flight. She lived across the street from me in Budd Lake, New Jersey.


Johnstown is a very historic little city in southwestern PA; about 65 miles east of Pittsburgh. It was prone to flooding because of it's location at the confluence of two rivers in a deep valley. Like the Great Chicago Fire and the San Francisco Earthquake, the Great Johnstown Flood of 1889 is one of the greatest natural disasters in US history.
 
Old 08-10-2019, 10:11 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Reputation: 5721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I just got back from another road trip ... a short 5 day one through central and southwestern Pennsylvania. It had a theme: tragedy and triumph: Gettysburg battlefield, Flight 93 National Memorial in Shanksville, and the Flood Museum in Johnstown.



A neighbor of mine was a passenger on Flight 93, an elderly woman named Hilda. She was the oldest passenger on that ill fated flight. She lived across the street from me in Budd Lake, New Jersey.


Johnstown is a very historic little city in southwestern PA; about 65 miles east of Pittsburgh. It was prone to flooding because of it's location at the confluence of two rivers in a deep valley. Like the Great Chicago Fire and the San Francisco Earthquake, the Great Johnstown Flood of 1889 is one of the greatest natural disasters in US history.
I've always be fascinated with Gettysburg. First visit of many was in the early 60s when I begged my parents to stop on a trip from Florida to New York state. Luckily, my wife is a good sport about with my interest in the Civil War. Last time there was about 6 years ago for three days. Hired a guide for one afternoon and it was really great to learn some new detailed information about the events on the first day. Hoping to make it back again sometime soon.

You mentioned your trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Shenandoah Valley, another favorite spot of ours. When we left Gettysburg, we came on down through Bull Run and Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania battlefields and then to a farmhouse that I had rented for a week near Harrisonburg in the Valley. Spent the whole week just poking around the area. It was the last of October and the scenery was just gorgeous.

Last edited by JRR; 08-10-2019 at 10:19 PM..
 
Old 08-10-2019, 10:21 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Reputation: 5721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Spent the day with the doggie and a friend playing in the ….. snow.
Please send some of that snow down to us! Forecast for Tuesday here is a high of 94 with heat index of 105 plus
 
Old 08-11-2019, 08:39 AM
 
Location: SoCal
6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Reputation: 5882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Hi everyone! I'm checking in after a L-O-N-G absence.



Well I am now officially retired. Officer Clark transitioned into "semi-retirement" last September, but since the beginning of this summer I am now fully retired.


I bought a new car ... a Hyundai. I took a couple of road trips in my new car. With a buddy I took a few weeks driving down south to Miami via Norfolk, Charleston, Savannah, and St. Augustine. On the way back we went a different way: through northern Georgia, the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Shenandoah, etc. It was a great trip. My buddy, an attorney who also just retired this year, was something of a nag though (a motorcyclist, he always wanted me to go faster even though I was exceeding the speed limit).
The comeback a motorcyclist should recognize is, "Ride your OWN ride!"
 
Old 08-11-2019, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Reputation: 26582
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Please send some of that snow down to us! Forecast for Tuesday here is a high of 94 with heat index of 105 plus

Well we had to go to 13,000 feet elevation to play in it. I'll send some and an oxygen tank!
 
Old 08-11-2019, 09:09 AM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
Reputation: 5721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well we had to go to 13,000 feet elevation to play in it. I'll send some and an oxygen tank!
That reminds me of when we were in Hawaii and went to the top of Mauna Kea at 13,000 ft +. Breakfast was on the lanai overlooking the ocean; at sunset we were in parkas and gloves, throwing snowballs at each other. Quite an experience

By the way, I'm really glad to see the difference in your situation from a couple of months ago. I was beginning to think that you were going to be in that other place for a long, long time. You sound so much happier with the change!
 
Old 08-11-2019, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Reputation: 26582
SOOOOOOOOOO, this morning walked down to the local café with the doggie, sat outside with my coffee and pecan sticky bun thing, light sprinkles, cool breeze. Some other folks sitting around. Local cowboy walks up to get coffee, now he looks like he just stepped out of a Roy Rogers tv set, complete with western belt holster and a very nice Colt 1873 .45 revolver on his side that's been in his family for generations.


ANYWAY....a lady yelled "he's got a GUN!" I looked at her and said, lady everyone here has a gun, you just can't see them. Bob (yeah Cowboy Bob, I know), is a rancher. Everyone else just shook their heads and chuckled. She got in her Audi with, well license plates from a state west of here, and left.


Today's entertainment. I'm going fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top