U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-14-2019, 03:31 PM
 
Location: The sleepy part of New York City
2,063 posts, read 1,272,230 times
Reputation: 4564

Advertisements

Horses don't love me either Meo. I've been on a horse 3 times and was thrown each time. The last one was a Shetland pony, something spooked him, and he reared up and threw me off too. Other animals love me though for some reason. Horses, not so much.

 
Old 08-14-2019, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,879 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12638
I believe animals are highly intelligent. I'm sure there are some here who will laugh at that. But if you pay close attention to them, it's very obvious.I think with horses they can sense when you are fearful and will not encourage you to ride them.

Meo, the horse you rode the first time when you were 8 months pregnant (!!!) took care of you, whether or not you realize that. He/she knew something wasn't good so didn't move with you on him/her. Smart horse.

The second time, horse trying to brush you off by walking close to trees, etc., could also sense your fear. You might have thought you weren't fearful, but as my first sentence said, horses are very smart.

I wish people would learn more about animals and realize their intelligence.

The detestable phrase "dumb animals" is so very wrong.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 05:57 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 857,196 times
Reputation: 4452
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I believe animals are highly intelligent. I'm sure there are some here who will laugh at that. But if you pay close attention to them, it's very obvious.I think with horses they can sense when you are fearful and will not encourage you to ride them.

Meo, the horse you rode the first time when you were 8 months pregnant (!!!) took care of you, whether or not you realize that. He/she knew something wasn't good so didn't move with you on him/her. Smart horse.

The second time, horse trying to brush you off by walking close to trees, etc., could also sense your fear. You might have thought you weren't fearful, but as my first sentence said, horses are very smart.

I wish people would learn more about animals and realize their intelligence.

The detestable phrase "dumb animals" is so very wrong.
^^^^^Ditto that

Meo, yes the horse you rode when you were 8 months pregnant was taking care of you

Years ago I rescued an Arab who ended up being unridable for adults but was an excellent lesson and happy memory horse for small children. Even with me leading him, if the child wouldn't stop screaming & crying, my Arab would stop and refused to move until the child either stopped its hysteria or was removed from his back.

He was seven when I rescued him, his sweet self made it to 29 and is laid to rest on our farm

Horses might be categorized in the livestock group but they are a very long way from being dumb --- very much misunderstood by many, but hardly dumb.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
1,157 posts, read 1,020,100 times
Reputation: 1030
Kids here went back to school today. My “kid” grandsons are in 7th and 5th grade. My great-granddaughter is a 6th grader. My oldest great-grandson is in 2nd grade. My middle great-grandson starts preschool tomorrow. My youngest great-grandson is still too young for school.

My youngest daughter went back to being a lunch lady. The para job didn’t work out. She couldn’t get along with the teacher. My granddaughter started working as lunch lady. She worked in laundry at the nursing home, her childcare situation changed. It works good for her with her son being in preschool
 
Old 08-14-2019, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Southern California
24,947 posts, read 8,843,267 times
Reputation: 16246
Talking about grandkids...Had a nice visit from 19 yr old and his mom yeserday. He's home from studying overseas in London and will be back in Pepperdine in a couple weeks to start Sophmore yr. What a smart young man...Spent some quality hrs with them.

His sister 22 is Bali studying to be Yoga certified, she is a UCLA graduate recently. She does not want to push a pen or a computer. Hope she achieves her dreams.

Their mom has done a good job the last 5 yrs or so since their father's passing.

Oh I made 81 yesterday, Happy B-D to me. I was in good spirits.
 
Old 08-15-2019, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Yavapai County
758 posts, read 502,183 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
SOOOOOOOOOO, this morning walked down to the local café with the doggie, sat outside with my coffee and pecan sticky bun thing, light sprinkles, cool breeze. Some other folks sitting around. Local cowboy walks up to get coffee, now he looks like he just stepped out of a Roy Rogers tv set, complete with western belt holster and a very nice Colt 1873 .45 revolver on his side that's been in his family for generations.


ANYWAY....a lady yelled "he's got a GUN!" I looked at her and said, lady everyone here has a gun, you just can't see them. Bob (yeah Cowboy Bob, I know), is a rancher. Everyone else just shook their heads and chuckled. She got in her Audi with, well license plates from a state west of here, and left.


Today's entertainment. I'm going fishing.
Haha! That is a funny story, Jim.
 
Old 08-15-2019, 08:24 AM
 
5,753 posts, read 3,046,581 times
Reputation: 10983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
^^^^^Ditto that

Meo, yes the horse you rode when you were 8 months pregnant was taking care of you

Years ago I rescued an Arab who ended up being unridable for adults but was an excellent lesson and happy memory horse for small children. Even with me leading him, if the child wouldn't stop screaming & crying, my Arab would stop and refused to move until the child either stopped its hysteria or was removed from his back.

He was seven when I rescued him, his sweet self made it to 29 and is laid to rest on our farm

Horses might be categorized in the livestock group but they are a very long way from being dumb --- very much misunderstood by many, but hardly dumb.
I have never owned a horse but from observing them, I agree that they are not dumb. They just don’t act like animals who can do “smart” in the way humans appreciate, as is the case with most domesticated dogs.

Researchers have been finding that many species considered “just dumb animals” are, in fact, highly intelligent. We humans assumed that because animals don’t communicate exactly like we do that they are stupid. Corvids, other birds including pigeons, porpoises and dolphins...and ever more creatures turn out to have forms of intelligence that people are barely beginning to appreciate. Heck, TREES and other plants have a kind of intelligence, it turns out.

Human beings are an arrogant species.

Last edited by pikabike; 08-15-2019 at 08:33 AM..
 
Old 08-15-2019, 08:43 AM
 
Location: middle tennessee
1,958 posts, read 1,029,782 times
Reputation: 7262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Talking about grandkids...Had a nice visit from 19 yr old and his mom yeserday. He's home from studying overseas in London and will be back in Pepperdine in a couple weeks to start Sophmore yr. What a smart young man...Spent some quality hrs with them.

His sister 22 is Bali studying to be Yoga certified, she is a UCLA graduate recently. She does not want to push a pen or a computer. Hope she achieves her dreams.

Their mom has done a good job the last 5 yrs or so since their father's passing.

Oh I made 81 yesterday, Happy B-D to me. I was in good spirits.


It sounds like a wonderful day! happy birthday
 
Old 08-15-2019, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Yavapai County
758 posts, read 502,183 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
For my birthday this year (in June) it was just my house-mate, Professor Robert, and me (our other housemate Rod is in upstate New York - he landed a job managing a spiritual retreat center near the Adirondacks). The professor (yes he is a real professor ... went to Harvard .... teaches at Drexel) treated me to dinner at a Cheesecake Factory restaurant right downtown. After that I treated him to cocktails at a posh restaurant and bar nearby. Robert has been living in my house for 14 years now.
Having a professor around must be fun. I bet you have some interesting conversations! What does he teach?
 
Old 08-15-2019, 04:01 PM
 
238 posts, read 197,812 times
Reputation: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh I made 81 yesterday, Happy B-D to me. I was in good spirits.

Happy belated Birthday Jaminhealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top