U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2019, 08:39 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,678,707 times

Advertisements

Well dealership called about my dreaded check engine light, it's the ESM switch and Evac protector, whatever those are. A staggering $300 total to fix will be ready this afternoon.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:50 AM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've always had at least two cats. They can play and keep one another company. It was nice when I was working but I'm home all the time now so can enjoy them more.
I would have loved to have two but feel fortunate to be able to have even one. Apartment living at its best.

I don't even know if my girl could get along with others. When I saw her she was in a cage by herself. She wouldn't even look at me when I talked to her.

It took a long time for her to trust me and even let me pet her. Even now she only let's me pet her when SHE wants to be petted. She does always sleep with me though, and then will walk on me when she figures I've slept long enough and she wants to eat.

It's wonderful, and sometimes humorous, how pets interact with their humans.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:26 AM

5,753 posts, read 3,046,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I was going to mention that I did a search on cat colors and cat behavior and the article said that black cats get a bad rap but they are actually the best natured of all cats.

Right now mine has been staring at my dish washer for over an hour - he hasn't moved. Only one thing could get his attention this way ~~~ a mmmmmmmouse
LOL. Let us know what happens! Both of the dogs we had were extremely prey-driven. However, one of them was scared of entering the Monster Lair—the utility room, where the vacuum cleaner lived!

I had been hearing critter noises from that room. One day I flung the door open and a chipmunk squatted waaay down as flat as it could. We knew chipmunks were running around after squeezing into the crawl space from outdoors. They did not cause any trouble. However, where chipmunks can go, so can mice, which pee and poop and chew and breed inside.

So I unleashed the hounds, errr, ONE hound! Her sniffer zeroed right in—I mean in a split second—on a place low on the utility room wall, while the other dog fretfully watched from a safe distance lest The Monster should roar to life. I saw a tiny opening where mice must have been gaining access to INSIDE the walls. Hah! I gave Her Highnose a yummy treat and told her Good Girl.

Then the next time I heard noises in there, I was armed with a household cleaning implement (broom) to smack the mouse, killing it. The broom end merely stunned it so I had to whack it HARD with the stick end. Finis!

Now, a cat would have left me a delightful beheaded carcass instead.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:31 AM

4,880 posts, read 3,382,746 times
^^^^^ Your kitty sounds a little like mine.

When I went to the SPCA to find a new pet, the worker took me over to her cage and explained to me that she had been brought in with another cat, presumably a litter mate. Then someone adopted the litter mate and left my kitty who was very shy and scared and sat in her cage facing the corner. They brought her out of the cage and let me hold her and she was quite timid. I decided that I wanted her to come home with me but their regulations said you couldn't take an animal till they had been seen by the vet and spayed. Well the vet kept not showing up or didn't have time, or whatever. It took me a few weeks in order to bring her home but I would go visit her often, take snacks and water and a brush to spend time with her. She has been here for a couple of years and is still timid, only letting me touch her when she thinks it's OK. But she is learning. I don't overdo it. She decides if it's OK and for how long. I have found if I talk softly to her when picking her up she seems more OK with it.

The second cat I adopted from the SPCA came about a year later. He was an "adult". He looked absolutely stunned sitting in that cage. Traumatized almost. After he was neutered and good to go I picked him up and took him home. He peed in his carrier and was very scared. It took him a while to adjust. He and my little female cat do get along well but he is a lot bigger and tends to be a bully. But there is a real sweetness between them at times.

We just have to give them "time" to make the huge adjustment they are making.

So if you get a second cat, it will all work out, but you would have to give them time and let them work it out. Give them the space they need.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:26 AM

8,764 posts, read 9,839,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Aw, that is sweet. Congrats on the new family members!

Thanks. I've been keeping a close eye on them and my little Bo is a stinker! I can't tell if he's being mean or just wanting to play with this sister. Yesterday she was using the litter box and he walked over and bopped her on the head! Then he laid down like he was going to jump on her, I reached over and tapped his butt with my foot and he jumped a foot in the air and yeowed really loud! lol By the time I went to bed last night they were both laying on the couch, all zonked out. At least he left ME alone last night and no 3:30 AM 'play time".

Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I was going to mention that I did a search on cat colors and cat behavior and the article said that black cats get a bad rap but they are actually the best natured of all cats.

Right now mine has been staring at my dish washer for over an hour - he hasn't moved. Only one thing could get his attention this way ~~~ a mmmmmmmouse

Yeah, poor black cats always get dissed. Even my room mates commented, "Just in time for Halloween". No. Just is time for ME!

I've noticed that mine can spend a ton of time just concentrating on one thing. Maybe they all can and I just never paid attention. The only mouse around here is a toy...or my computer mouse, which Bo was checking out yesterday! For some reason he likes to lay behind my keyboard and chase my fingers. lol

Old 08-20-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I would have loved to have two but feel fortunate to be able to have even one. Apartment living at its best.

I don't even know if my girl could get along with others. When I saw her she was in a cage by herself. She wouldn't even look at me when I talked to her.

It took a long time for her to trust me and even let me pet her. Even now she only let's me pet her when SHE wants to be petted. She does always sleep with me though, and then will walk on me when she figures I've slept long enough and she wants to eat.

It's wonderful, and sometimes humorous, how pets interact with their humans.

My two were in a small room together with every toy imaginable all over the place. I didn't get to spend much time with them before we came home because it seemed like I spent a LONG time filling out paperwork, etc. and my room mate stayed with the cats.

My baby girl won't let me touch or hold her yet. If she'd just relax and let me hold and pet her I think she'd get over her shyness faster but I'll just leave it be and let her decide when is the 'right' time for her. Bo won't leave me alone! lol He is so curious about everything all you have to do is walk around and he's right there wanting to know what you're doing, where you're going and getting underfoot.

This is funny but the only way I can tell them apart right now is by their tails. Hers is missing the very tip and is squared off. His is still intact. Right now they are both in here with me but we'll see how long that lasts!

Old 08-20-2019, 01:16 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Hi AZDesertBrat: Congratulations on your new family! You will have tons of fun with those little ones.

Bo, I think he's the male, sounds like he's got a lot of energy in him. His bopping Princess's head when she was in her bathroom is kind of normal. He's just playing with her. She will do it right back at him. They will be running through your apartment like crazy and then crash from being tired. So fun to watch.

I think females are not quite as affectionate as the male cats are. That has been my experience with about 3 of the females I've had. Once they let you touch them, it will be on "their terms".

When I was a kid I had an all black male cat, Willie. I loved him so much, he was my comforter when things were scary in my house. At night he would sleep in my bed, always draped over the back of my neck. My mother would move him because she thought he would smother me. Unfortunately some rotten sob poisoned Willie. I discovered him suffering. When my father got home from work, he put Willie out of his misery. I cried for days.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:52 AM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Another early morning, today it was 4:30. I've been waking up early since I moved to Arizona, whereas while living in Minnesota, after retirement, I would go to bed late and get up late.

I like getting up early except for the fact that since I live in an apartment, I feel like I have to be very quiet to respect other people who are sleeping. So I don't make noise until after 8:00.

That's not a bad thing but, if I need to do laundry it feels like the quiet hours are wasted time. Oh well, it's better than I used to feel in Minnesota, as if I was wasting my day away.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 AM

Default Nice surprise!

Had a nice surprise the other day but need to call SS and find out 'why'. Checked my bank account online and there was a $135 deposit from SS. A day later I got a letter from them stating that, starting Aug. 1st, the state of Arizona is going to be paying my Medicare and it will no longer be deducted from my check. They were simply paying back my Medicare for August. Since I don't get much to begin with that's really a nice thing but I don't know why they have picked it up. Anyone have any idea??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement