U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 11:14 AM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times

Advertisements

It looks like (fingers crossed) we may be done with the 90 degree mark here after today. Forecast for the next 10 days doesn't have us hitting that mark. Glad to see that as it has been pretty hot and humid at times this summer.

My wife got some fairly good news yesterday. She has been getting some really bad headaches over the last month. The oncologist thought that it was a reaction to the immunotherapy treatments. But just to be on the safe side they did an MRI to make sure there was no brain swelling or a problem with a tumor on her pituitary gland. Results of the MRI came back OK. So she just has to deal with the headaches. She had her monthly infusion yesterday so it will be interesting to see how the next few days go.

Two young black cats in the house ought to be a fun handful. Our ginger girl is now a bit over a year old and still races around the house like crazy. She wants to play with our older black cat, but that is a no go. Black cat just wants the young one to steer clear. Makes for some interesting situations at times.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:32 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Had a nice surprise the other day but need to call SS and find out 'why'. Checked my bank account online and there was a $135 deposit from SS. A day later I got a letter from them stating that, starting Aug. 1st, the state of Arizona is going to be paying my Medicare and it will no longer be deducted from my check. They were simply paying back my Medicare for August. Since I don't get much to begin with that's really a nice thing but I don't know why they have picked it up. Anyone have any idea??
The only thing I can think of is that you are eligible for the help from the state. I remember seeing a form to fill out regarding that. I can't remember the name of the program though.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:49 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
It might be one of these programs:

Medicare Savings Plan (MSP) or LIS (Low income savings) I don't think this is just AZ though. I think it's a federal program but may be wrong.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:07 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post

When I was a kid I had an all black male cat, Willie. I loved him so much, he was my comforter when things were scary in my house. At night he would sleep in my bed, always draped over the back of my neck. My mother would move him because she thought he would smother me. Unfortunately some rotten sob poisoned Willie. I discovered him suffering. When my father got home from work, he put Willie out of his misery. I cried for days.

My very first pet was an all black cat named (unimaginatively) Blackie.

I don't have any pets right now but a very friendly cat who belongs to a neighbor three houses down comes by and begs for food. I find myself buying cat food at the supermarket ... and I don't even own a cat!

Old 08-21-2019, 10:25 PM
JRR

3,873 posts, read 2,323,605 times
My black cat Cassie has been laying in the doorway of my office all evening. Every time I get up to go to another room for something, she stretches our for a belly rub. It is like the toll I have to pay for leaving the room.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:46 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Another early morning, today it was 4:30. I've been waking up early since I moved to Arizona, whereas while living in Minnesota, after retirement, I would go to bed late and get up late.

I like getting up early except for the fact that since I live in an apartment, I feel like I have to be very quiet to respect other people who are sleeping. So I don't make noise until after 8:00.

That's not a bad thing but, if I need to do laundry it feels like the quiet hours are wasted time. Oh well, it's better than I used to feel in Minnesota, as if I was wasting my day away.

Do you wake up that early often? Sure seems like I do, these days. When I was working I went to bed at 10:00 and slept till 5:00, my 'required' seven hours. Not working it doesn't matter what time I go to bed I'll sometimes only get four hours, be up for two hours and then get a few hours more, maybe. Sometimes I feel real lucky to get 6 hours.

Have you tried to find ANYTHING worth watching on TV in the wee hours?? lol So much 'stuff' people are trying to sell us, teach us and just plain annoy us.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:08 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
I was getting into wonky sleep patterns on nights DH is gone, traveling for work, and had a hard time getting back into a good sleep pattern. While it was fun staying up reading late, watching a movie or listening to music until the wee hours of the morning, it wasn’t worth it later. Now I try to go to bed around the same time every night when he’s gone and I’m back on track.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:46 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
I have similar sleep problems and have wondered if it was "just me" or if others had it too.

A straight 7 hours of sleep seem to be my magic number but it has been a long time since I've managed to get it.

Seems I'm tired all the time, easily fall into a long nap, not feeling particularly rested. Nothing is getting done around here and it's not pretty.

Can this also be depression?

Old 08-22-2019, 08:52 PM

1,112 posts, read 857,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
It looks like (fingers crossed) we may be done with the 90 degree mark here after today. Forecast for the next 10 days doesn't have us hitting that mark. Glad to see that as it has been pretty hot and humid at times this summer.

My wife got some fairly good news yesterday. She has been getting some really bad headaches over the last month. The oncologist thought that it was a reaction to the immunotherapy treatments. But just to be on the safe side they did an MRI to make sure there was no brain swelling or a problem with a tumor on her pituitary gland. Results of the MRI came back OK. So she just has to deal with the headaches. She had her monthly infusion yesterday so it will be interesting to see how the next few days go.

Two young black cats in the house ought to be a fun handful. Our ginger girl is now a bit over a year old and still races around the house like crazy. She wants to play with our older black cat, but that is a no go. Black cat just wants the young one to steer clear. Makes for some interesting situations at times.
For every action there is always a reaction, I hope the headaches are gone for your wife. How much longer does she have to have treatments?

DH had prostate cancer surgery last December. He sailed thru like a trooper -- until they put those radiation seeds in. He is still trying to get his butt back to some semblance of normalcy.

We are also in Middle Tennessee. I hope you're right about the 90 degree days fading away and I hope those 70 degree dewpoints go with them. I have to be at the barn by 7:00 AM, if I want to get the horses turned out, stalls cleared and manure dumped before I fall over from heat stroke.

I laid my two 12 year old brother kitties to rest this year - one from ear cancer, one from heart failure. My only remaining cat (a house cat) seems not at all bothered by their demise. She weighs ~8 pounds with an 80# attitude and seems happy being Queen of the Hill.

I still keep cat food out, down at the barn. I set up the game cam to see who was eating it since I don't have anymore barn cats:

1. The neighbor's gray cat.
2. An orange stray nobody wants to claim.
3. A rabbit -- yes there is a rabbit getting up on the food prep counter in the barn, eating cat food, lol

Old 08-22-2019, 10:10 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Do you wake up that early often? Sure seems like I do, these days. When I was working I went to bed at 10:00 and slept till 5:00, my 'required' seven hours. Not working it doesn't matter what time I go to bed I'll sometimes only get four hours, be up for two hours and then get a few hours more, maybe. Sometimes I feel real lucky to get 6 hours.

Have you tried to find ANYTHING worth watching on TV in the wee hours?? lol So much 'stuff' people are trying to sell us, teach us and just plain annoy us.
Lately it's been every day. Sometimes I'm lucky and sleep in until 6:30 but more often it's between 4 & 5. Since I live in an apartment, I don't have the tv on late at night.

My apartment in Minnesota was different because the building was one level so no one above or below me and the neighbors on either side were both hard of hearing and didn't wear their hearing aids at night so it made no difference. I watched tv until 2-3 in the morning. Not here, with having neighbors both above and below me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement