U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 10:28 PM

238 posts, read 197,812 times

Advertisements

NYgal1542: Could it be sleep apnea?

Old 08-23-2019, 12:27 AM
JRR

3,872 posts, read 2,322,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
For every action there is always a reaction, I hope the headaches are gone for your wife. How much longer does she have to have treatments?

DH had prostate cancer surgery last December. He sailed thru like a trooper -- until they put those radiation seeds in. He is still trying to get his butt back to some semblance of normalcy.

We are also in Middle Tennessee. I hope you're right about the 90 degree days fading away and I hope those 70 degree dewpoints go with them. I have to be at the barn by 7:00 AM, if I want to get the horses turned out, stalls cleared and manure dumped before I fall over from heat stroke.

I laid my two 12 year old brother kitties to rest this year - one from ear cancer, one from heart failure. My only remaining cat (a house cat) seems not at all bothered by their demise. She weighs ~8 pounds with an 80# attitude and seems happy being Queen of the Hill.

I still keep cat food out, down at the barn. I set up the game cam to see who was eating it since I don't have anymore barn cats:

1. The neighbor's gray cat.
2. An orange stray nobody wants to claim.
3. A rabbit -- yes there is a rabbit getting up on the food prep counter in the barn, eating cat food, lol
My wife has three more infusions and will wrap it up in November. Be glad to have that over with. It has been handy having the cancer center just ten minutes away.

I looked at the temp predictions for us here in Cookeville and it looks to stay under 85 for the next 10 days. I noticed today that some of the tulip trees are starting to turn their leaves yellow/gold. Looking forward to the full autumn color change.

My black cat Cassie would probably feel the way your cat does. If the young ginger cat was to disappear tomorrow, Cassie would be OK with that.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:04 AM

758 posts, read 502,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well dealership called about my dreaded check engine light, it's the ESM switch and Evac protector, whatever those are. A staggering $300 total to fix will be ready this afternoon.
We just had to have some ac valve replaced on a vehicle with less than 30,000 miles on it. (off warranty due to age). That cost us over $300 too. I don't think you can have anything done for less than 300 these days!

Old 08-23-2019, 08:40 AM

758 posts, read 502,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
My black cat Cassie has been laying in the doorway of my office all evening. Every time I get up to go to another room for something, she stretches our for a belly rub. It is like the toll I have to pay for leaving the room.
Belly toll! lol! My pup would love to start collecting that.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:32 AM

4,880 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Xenah[/b];56003028]NYgal1542: Could it be sleep apnea?

I've never been tested for sleep apnea. Since I live alone I have no one who could tell me if I do any of those things I've read are symptoms.
However, I can say I think it comes more from one of the cats I adopted. He is an early riser about 3 or 4 a.m. and I'm a bit of a night owl (go to bed around 1 a.m.).

He's getting better, he's up more like between 4 and 6 a.m. which isn't as bad as before. I guess I have hope eventually he will sleep longer in the morning when he gets a little older. He's about 3, my female cat is about a year older and has never been a problem. Of course, she is not "allowed" on the bed if he is on it, which is every night. I've put him out of the bedroom and shut the door but he's scratching the door and making other sounds that I get up to make him (LOL) stop.

Believe me, I have thought about re-homing him many times, but I can't do it. He has an endearing personality and a very expressive face. I just can't give him up. And the girl cat....... she'd be lost without him.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:40 AM

13,450 posts, read 25,851,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

Have you tried to find ANYTHING worth watching on TV in the wee hours?? lol So much 'stuff' people are trying to sell us, teach us and just plain annoy us.

Heh, for me if I wake up, there's "2-hour Red Sox"a tape of that day's Red Sox game, edited into two hours. Sort of ideal! National Geographic often has some interesting stuff.

And that's why I have Direct TV with MLB package.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:49 AM

8,764 posts, read 9,839,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have similar sleep problems and have wondered if it was "just me" or if others had it too.

A straight 7 hours of sleep seem to be my magic number but it has been a long time since I've managed to get it.

Seems I'm tired all the time, easily fall into a long nap, not feeling particularly rested. Nothing is getting done around here and it's not pretty.

Can this also be depression?

I'm starting to think it must be an 'age thing'. One day last week I was wide awake by 4 AM. Managed to stay awake till about 3 PM and laid down for a short nap. I slept till 7:30! Then I was just sure I'd never sleep that night but at 11:00 I went to bed and slept through till 5:00. So I guess I got enough sleep but hate it being broken up like that. And it happens oftener than I like. Maybe, somehow, it all evens out eventually.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:56 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,678,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
We just had to have some ac valve replaced on a vehicle with less than 30,000 miles on it. (off warranty due to age). That cost us over $300 too. I don't think you can have anything done for less than 300 these days!

The part was $6.00, labor $260, and "misc fees" whatever those are.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Lately it's been every day. Sometimes I'm lucky and sleep in until 6:30 but more often it's between 4 & 5. Since I live in an apartment, I don't have the tv on late at night.

My apartment in Minnesota was different because the building was one level so no one above or below me and the neighbors on either side were both hard of hearing and didn't wear their hearing aids at night so it made no difference. I watched tv until 2-3 in the morning. Not here, with having neighbors both above and below me.

One more reason I don't like apt. living. I have two room mates but my house is fairly good sized and I keep the TV kind of low. They keep theirs low too and nobody bugs the rest. After two years of apt. living in Alaska I swore I'd never live in another one and so far, so good. That was in 1992! lol

Old 08-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
It might be one of these programs:

Medicare Savings Plan (MSP) or LIS (Low income savings) I don't think this is just AZ though. I think it's a federal program but may be wrong.

Yeah, I'm sure it's because of my very low income. Wish they'd done it a year ago! I'll check it out, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement