U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 10:14 AM

8,776 posts, read 10,004,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Smoked a beef brisket, ribs and sausage for the neighbors yesterday, and for the guy who brought me 5 cords of firewood, and my horsey friend. Chilly enough last night to have a fire in my fire pit.

Real honest to gosh normal people, trees, shade. Made sure local police and sheriff deputy got a plate too.

I am so glad for you that you have good neighbors now. You sure went through a lot to get there! It does make a difference doesn't it? Yay for you!

Old 08-26-2019, 11:39 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,438,989 times
Default "Keep-on-Truckin"... do not give in to the "bodies weaknesses"....your interests and hobbies are vital to your longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Driving home today from Salmon Arm, British Columbia provided a lot of time for thinking. Something dawned on me that makes sense for my situation. Just had my 68th birthday about a week ago and still enjoy doing physical activities, such as cycling, mountain trekking, kayaking, etc. However my body is really starting to protest.

I think I am caught in that awkward stage between a middle-aged person and an old person. My body and my mind are not in sync. The mind wants to do young people things, but my body is telling me to slow down.

I am not giving in! I refuse to grow up!
..........Mr. Volosong:............I am writing the following to let you know that you CAN continue to persue your interests and lifestyle. With your background, intelligence and common sense, I'm confident you'll figure it out!!!!!

I am about 19.5 yrs older than you and I know EXACTLY what you are experiencing but my situation was compounded by the lingering and debilating
after effects of having survived a double fatality auto accident that killed the two acquaintances on my left in the front seat of a convertible that hit a large tree in excess of 90 mph........this occurred many, many years ago....: resulting in: (16) fractures:..Pelvis, 4 lumbar vertebrae, 4 ribs, sternum, shoulder, arm 2 places, wrist, clavicle, & knee.
.......almost 4 months in body cast, reconstruction surgery on Knee, 16 weeks in hospital, approx 145 Physical Therapy sessions, wear custom Knee Brace every day of my life..........

Now in my 88th year, I can look back on many years ----post accident----- of successfully accomplishing most of my goals and bucket list!!!!

I still hunt and fish (got my Kodiak Brown Bear at age 65 wearing two knee braces and a back brace)----- still drive and travel where I want to go (some limitations on length of travel), my use of and degree of interest in firearms is as strong as ever.
Fishing?**At age 70 I caught several King Salmon up to 38 lbs and several Halibut up to 90lbs over a 20 day period in the waters off of Sitka, AK.
Being able to shoot on my property allows me to continue to hand load certain types of ammo etc.
Having lost my wife after 51 yrs of marriage (14 yrs ago), I am a pretty good cook and even bake a loaf of bread occasionally.
My dog and I, (Rex, a Brittany almost 14) thank God every day for the unbelievable blessings HE has bestowed on me to get to this age.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:52 PM

11,371 posts, read 12,947,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I am so glad for you that you have good neighbors now. You sure went through a lot to get there! It does make a difference doesn't it? Yay for you!

Thank you. I still want to live in the mountain town I first moved to when I retired, but unless I win the lottery, that'll never happen. This place is a nice second choice.

It's GREEN here instead of desert brown, and no dust storms.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:35 PM

4,893 posts, read 4,825,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
..........Mr. Volosong:............I am writing the following to let you know that you CAN continue to persue your interests and lifestyle. With your background, intelligence and common sense, I'm confident you'll figure it out!!!!!
Ouch! You've sure had more than your fair share. I'm just frustrated, probably about my left hand, (I'm left-handed). Several months ago, I asked the doctor about something and he immediately said I had "trigger finger". Opted for no surgery and to let it be to see how it progressed. Don't have many episodes of trigger finger any longer, but it is painful to flatten my hand completely and I've seem to have lost grip strength in that hand. I'm concerned about not being able to hold a tennis racket properly due to the pain or grip weakness. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the encouragement. I will not give in . . . at least not yet.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-26-2019, 10:54 PM

15,761 posts, read 18,281,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
No windows open here until October. That could never come soon enough before. Now that we have a pool, there is nothing like working in the garden in this heat and humidity, sweating buckets and then jumping in the pool which is 84 degrees. Aaaah! It is such a pleasure and makes gardening a whole new experience. And for TMI, we cannot pull on our swimsuits when we are that sweaty, so we quit trying. There’s no need to with an eight foot privacy fence and neighboring single story homes!

I’m heading over to a house on a nearby street that sells many different tropical fruits to pick up a dragon fruit plant. I will try hard not to be tempted by anything else. For me, plants are in the same category as so many books and too little time.

That is a beautiful enclosed pool y'all have. Looks like a very comfortable area. You have a beautiful pup, too...
My mom loved & often enjoyed her glass room with a jacuzzi. She & family were out there all the time...

Old 08-26-2019, 11:15 PM

677 posts, read 441,393 times
Jim!! So glad you finally got your place! It sounds wonderful! It sounds alot like my place!

Old 08-27-2019, 07:02 AM

2,694 posts, read 1,844,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
That is a beautiful enclosed pool y'all have. Looks like a very comfortable area. You have a beautiful pup, too...
My mom loved & often enjoyed her glass room with a jacuzzi. She & family were out there all the time...
Thank you! We are happy with our home and yard now that we can give it our full attention. The pup is even better than we hoped. She has a gentle nature, loves the grandkids and her exuberance might be moderating...maybe.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:34 PM
JRR

4,115 posts, read 2,467,360 times
Went to a piano recital by one of the music professors at the university this evening. A bit of Bach; a bit of Liszt; a bit of Sibelius with some rag by Scott Joplin to finish. Then a stop by Dairy queen for a cone.

Mixed up the sauce for some shredded pork for this coming weekend. That and some potato salad will be a couple of meals or more for us. I do the pork in a slow cooker. Brown the pork, throw on the sauce and cook overnight. Shred the pork and put the juice in the fridge for several hours. Skim off the hardened fat and mix in the shredded pork and let it sit for a couple days. Then heat it up slowly in the cooker. It was something that I always was requested to make for any potlucks at work.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:24 AM
JRR

4,115 posts, read 2,467,360 times
Friends and relatives in Florida are keeping a close eye on Tropical storm Dorian which is swiping Puerto Rico right now. Looks like the track could have it coming into Florida on Labor Day as a major hurricane. Too early to tell exactly where and how strong. It brings back memories of Frances in 2004. We had finally got cleaned up from Charley coming over us three weeks earlier. And here we were spending Labor Day on our screen porch, again with no power, listening to the battery powered radio, eating cold food and hoping that the wind would not bring down any more trees.

Can't say that I miss those days of knowing that by mid August, it was time to pay close attention to what was going on in the tropics.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:34 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,079,221 times
The last piece of the puzzle!

I live in a rather isolated rural area. I asked our postman today if she could call the sheriff to make a wellness check if my box got stuffed with mail. She said she would. So now the problem of how to get the word out that I am gone is solved.

she said "we can make wellness checks" and I said "No! just call the sheriff. If the box is full, I may have been here awhile".

I don't know why this strikes me funny. She is a nice woman and I saw her face change as the significance of my request dawned on her. I don't get much mail

Anyway. This might be a help to others who wonder how they are going to get found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement