U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2019, 12:24 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Friends and relatives in Florida are keeping a close eye on Tropical storm Dorian which is swiping Puerto Rico right now. Looks like the track could have it coming into Florida on Labor Day as a major hurricane. Too early to tell exactly where and how strong. It brings back memories of Frances in 2004. We had finally got cleaned up from Charley coming over us three weeks earlier. And here we were spending Labor Day on our screen porch, again with no power, listening to the battery powered radio, eating cold food and hoping that the wind would not bring down any more trees.

Can't say that I miss those days of knowing that by mid August, it was time to pay close attention to what was going on in the tropics.
I learned the hard way with Irma to be aware, but not to be stampeded into a panic by the news or social media. We prepared in June at the start of this hurricane season. So it’s life as usual, unless that changes as we get closer to the weekend. The only time I see similarities between here and North is when snowstorms and hurricanes are predicted: the grocery and hardware stores are mobbed in both areas.

We built a support last night for my dragon fruit and planted it this morning. A person on a Florida FB group advised me to plant it in a cement block on top of the ground next to the post to keep the roots from rotting in all the rain this time of year. It’s what the nurseries do in Homestead. So we are heading to Lowe’s to get a block and replant, when DH is finished working for the day.

Attached Thumbnails
Chat Thread-6d27414b-e96c-4881-a00d-f80e1ae7d95c.jpeg  

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-28-2019 at 01:04 PM..

Old 08-28-2019, 01:00 PM

1,352 posts, read 866,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
she said "we can make wellness checks" and I said "No! just call the sheriff. If the box is full, I may have been here awhile".
Anyway. This might be a help to others who wonder how they are going to get found.

The police in my rural town make wellness checks too. When you're added to the list, you call the police every morning to let them know you're alive and well. If they haven't heard from you, they come to your home to check on you. I haven't personally used the service, but was told about it by another senior.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:52 AM
JRR

3,871 posts, read 2,320,936 times
It is not looking good for my friends and family in Vero Beach FL. The cone area for Hurricane Dorian is narrowing and Vero is a bulls eye. One friend who was there in 2004 when they caught the brunt of the bad side of Frances and Jeanne, just had one thing to say "Oh crap, here we go again".

Our weather here for the next week is going to be a bit warm with highs in the mid-upper 80s and nothing but sunshine. Got a couple of concerts in the park over the holiday weekend. Local symphony on Sunday evening and a big band group on Monday evening. These will be the last ones until next spring so we will have to get our music over at the university until then. We do have Shakespeare in the Park the last week of September. The are doing two this year; Antony and Cleopatra and Cymbeline.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:20 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,170,879 times
well what a difference a day makes. it looks like it won't be as terrible for Vero Beach as originally thought.

JRR the music sounds lovely!

Old 08-31-2019, 09:28 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
well what a difference a day makes. it looks like it won't be as terrible for Vero Beach as originally thought.

Yeah, they are breathing a bit easier now. However, it appears that there is still some uncertainty of when the Bermuda high pressure will weaken and turn Dorian away from the US. And good news for some is not so good news for others. Now the friends we have who live in the Outer Banks of NC have to keep a close eye on Dorian.

And I really feel sorry for the people living in Freeport and the Northern Bahamas. It looks like the storm may pretty much stall and be over them for around 24 hours. That amount of time with winds of 140 mph, up to 2 ft of rain and storm surge of 10 ft +, does not paint a pretty picture for those islands.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:24 PM

7,466 posts, read 1,650,318 times
I just read that it has reached Category 5 status.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/hu...st-2019-09-01/

Hoping for the best for those who live in Florida, Carolinas, and Georgia.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:47 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post

Just got back a bit ago from the concert by the symphony. Really nice; ran the gamut from Strauss/Tchaikovsky to Chuck Mangione/music from Wonder Woman. Perfect evening with clear sky, sliver of a moon and 70 degrees with a couple of fireflies stopping by. Amphitheater was pretty full; probably about a thousand people.

When we were debating about where to relocate for retirement, we wanted somewhere that would give us evenings like this. We feel real lucky to have found one here.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:38 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,218 times
We went to an anniversary get together for the other grandparents at their neighbor’s house last night. Many friends, other neighbors and our kids and grandkids made for a good time. We love being together with family here. The other grands head back to England in six weeks and we’ll miss them. The six months they are here every year fly by so fast! We met them a week before the kid’s wedding fourteen years ago and the four of us went along on the honeymoon. That was the beginning of our friendship and I hope we will celebrate many more anniversaries with them.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-02-2019 at 06:54 AM..

Old 09-02-2019, 10:30 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
I need to vent.

I wanted to change my password with a department store in my area (don't know if I'm allowed to type the real name of the place, but it rhymes with coal).

I went on line to do this. I burst out laughing. What a confusing horrible mess. Tons of directions, but which ones to use? And when you attempt an option, you still don't know if you did it right. And trying to find my balance so I could pay it off? LOL, another burst of laughter.

I thought going online would be easy. I've never ever had a problem like this.

Yes, I do intend to let them (if I can ever figure out who that person is) know what I think.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:14 AM
JRR

A couple of weeks ago, I sent an email to both my senators and my representative expressing my concerns about the current situation with many things going on in the country. Not that I expected anything other than a canned reply; just getting it off of my chest.

I was rather surprised to open up my emails this morning and there was a reply from one of my senators. Instead of a canned response, it was a rather lengthy reply which went into detail in response to my concerns. Whether it was done by the actual senator or one of his aides, I appreciated the reply. This is the first time I have ever got back a personalized response from one of my emails to Congress. From my other senator and my representative, not a peep. Too bad that the one who got back to me is retiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement