U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-03-2019, 07:08 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,862 posts, read 2,313,683 times
Reputation: 5709

Advertisements

It must be getting toward autumn as the last blossom on my Franklin tree dropped off today. Sure still feels like summer as the forecast is mid to high 80s for the next week. Come on cooler weather! Did get my electric bill today for August and it was $150, which I thought was pretty good for running the A/C in a really hot month. Sure better than my electric bills in Florida.

It is time for me to start stocking up an Little Debbies oatmeal snack cakes for Halloween. I hope that someone will run a good sale on them as I need about 40 boxes. The kids seem to like them as they are something different from the usual Halloween treats and the parents appreciate that they are individually wrapped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2019, 07:39 PM
 
1,107 posts, read 852,794 times
Reputation: 4439
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
It must be getting toward autumn as the last blossom on my Franklin tree dropped off today. Sure still feels like summer as the forecast is mid to high 80s for the next week. Come on cooler weather! Did get my electric bill today for August and it was $150, which I thought was pretty good for running the A/C in a really hot month. Sure better than my electric bills in Florida.

It is time for me to start stocking up an Little Debbies oatmeal snack cakes for Halloween. I hope that someone will run a good sale on them as I need about 40 boxes. The kids seem to like them as they are something different from the usual Halloween treats and the parents appreciate that they are individually wrapped.
After a few days of the 80's, we are supposed to be back in the 90's again.

I am over these temps and so are my horses. With the day's getting shorter, they already have a start on their winter coats. I shampooed them yesterday but it won't be the last for the year, especially with this heat. They spent much of the day in the barn, in front of big barrel fans, dodging those big horse flies and eating hay.

We love those Little Debbie oatmeal snacks. We live pretty remote so no Halloweeners; those Little Debbie snacks would be all ours! lollol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2019, 08:12 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,862 posts, read 2,313,683 times
Reputation: 5709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
After a few days of the 80's, we are supposed to be back in the 90's again.

I am over these temps and so are my horses. With the day's getting shorter, they already have a start on their winter coats. I shampooed them yesterday but it won't be the last for the year, especially with this heat. They spent much of the day in the barn, in front of big barrel fans, dodging those big horse flies and eating hay.

We love those Little Debbie oatmeal snacks. We live pretty remote so no Halloweeners; those Little Debbie snacks would be all ours! lollol
I like one of the oatmeal snacks with a cup of coffee for a quick breakfast. The reason I started giving them out about 30 years ago was I didn't like having leftover candy. So I figured out that if I gave these out, I could take any leftovers with my lunch that I used to pack.

Last year it was rainy here for Halloween and I had about 20 boxes left. So I kept three boxes and the local food bank got the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2019, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
5,096 posts, read 3,569,242 times
Reputation: 10926
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I like one of the oatmeal snacks with a cup of coffee for a quick breakfast. The reason I started giving them out about 30 years ago was I didn't like having leftover candy. So I figured out that if I gave these out, I could take any leftovers with my lunch that I used to pack.

Last year it was rainy here for Halloween and I had about 20 boxes left. So I kept three boxes and the local food bank got the rest.
I bet they really appreciated them too. That was a nice gesture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2019, 08:36 PM
 
459 posts, read 292,322 times
Reputation: 2982
Re Halloween treats, I do something a little different too. When a nephew was young, he wouldn’t touch candy or sweet treats, but liked salty treats. So to give kids like him a nod, I get variety multipacks of chips and other similar snacks, and depending on how quickly they go, let each kid take two or three. Leftovers get donated to the library to give out to kids at their sat lego club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 07:47 AM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,862 posts, read 2,313,683 times
Reputation: 5709
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I bet they really appreciated them too. That was a nice gesture.
Yeah, I figured the Little Debbies would be a bit of a treat for some people to add to the regular staples.

This week I am going to buy some powdered laundry detergent and drop it off. They divide it up into bags and hand it out. They say that it goes real quick, when it is available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 07:54 AM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,862 posts, read 2,313,683 times
Reputation: 5709
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
Re Halloween treats, I do something a little different too. When a nephew was young, he wouldnít touch candy or sweet treats, but liked salty treats. So to give kids like him a nod, I get variety multipacks of chips and other similar snacks, and depending on how quickly they go, let each kid take two or three. Leftovers get donated to the library to give out to kids at their sat lego club.
I think that the multipacks of snacks is a real good idea. I wish I could do it here, but having to buy for upwards of 500 kids makes it a bit too expensive for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 07:42 PM
 
5,720 posts, read 3,024,282 times
Reputation: 10869
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I think that the multipacks of snacks is a real good idea. I wish I could do it here, but having to buy for upwards of 500 kids makes it a bit too expensive for me.
When I was a kid, I loved getting the rare bag of homemade popcorn instead of yet more candy.

You could make that inexpensively, but parents now are so worried about noncommercial unsealed foods that I donít know if the kids would take them anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 08:32 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,862 posts, read 2,313,683 times
Reputation: 5709
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
When I was a kid, I loved getting the rare bag of homemade popcorn instead of yet more candy.

You could make that inexpensively, but parents now are so worried about noncommercial unsealed foods that I donít know if the kids would take them anymore.
I think back wistfully to the days when I went trick or treating in the small town in central New York where we lived. Popcorn balls, caramel apples, homemade cookies, etc. Never had to be concerned with getting anything dangerous. Different times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 04:57 AM
 
Location: Duncan, Oklahoma
2,606 posts, read 1,243,212 times
Reputation: 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I think back wistfully to the days when I went trick or treating in the small town in central New York where we lived. Popcorn balls, caramel apples, homemade cookies, etc. Never had to be concerned with getting anything dangerous. Different times.
When my brothers and I were trick-or-treating age in the early 1960s, our first stop was to ring the doorbell of Mrs. Buben who lived down the road from us. She always had fresh-made popcorn balls to give out on Halloween. Her house was always our favorite place to go Halloween night.

We also received homemade cookies, candy, caramel apples, and other treats in addition to pre-wrapped candy. Like you, JRR, we never thought about any dangers. We often ate our treats along the way to the next house and we weren't accompanied by adults. The three of us looked out for each other. We never had any problems and there were lots of other children out doing the same things as us.

Times certainly are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top