U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-05-2019, 06:30 AM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,516 posts, read 1,741,218 times
Reputation: 9036

Advertisements

Very subtle signs of approaching fall here. My orchids that were in shade all summer are now in full sun in the morning with the changing angle of the sun. My spotted bee balm is blooming which is a harbinger of autumn and I planted my Everglade tomatoes outside that I started from seed.

Our August electric bill was $135, it’s our highest bill of the year and we are total electric with a pool. It was $1 more than last year. Our lowest bill is in December, $70 last year. FPL has decent rates. We looked at adding solar, but the return is dismal for the cost at this time.

I like to give out packs of pretzels for Halloween. Any leftovers I use as after school snacks for the grandkids. I ordered the annual Lego Advent calendars for the grandkids yesterday and later saw a timely post on FB for a reverse Advent calendar: fill a box with one food item from the list every day and deliver the box to a food bank on Christmas Eve. I printed the list and will put it with the advent calendars when they arrive so I don’t forget.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-05-2019 at 06:56 AM..

 
Old 09-05-2019, 06:51 AM
 
8,018 posts, read 11,795,387 times
Reputation: 10606
Michigan - June was a cool rainy bust, kept farmers out of the field and everyone off the lakes. Now late August and Sept are cold too! The small lake I bought a lot on cooled off end of August! So I spent a ton of money on this place and enjoyed it for a month and a half. Well not even that actually because I was only up there half the time.

Small complaints compared to the farmers. My nephew crop farms. Too much rain in June, then not enough rain, his soybeans didn't fill out. Feel so bad for him, very stressful times farming.
 
Old 09-05-2019, 06:55 AM
 
7,467 posts, read 1,650,318 times
Reputation: 18157
All this talk about Halloween as it was when we were kids is making me very nostalgic.

(And some people wonder why we seniors think that life was so much better when we were kids -- for the most part, anyway.)
 
Old 09-05-2019, 07:31 AM
 
Location: MidMichigan
52 posts, read 30,491 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I sent an email to both my senators and my representative expressing my concerns about the current situation with many things going on in the country. Not that I expected anything other than a canned reply; just getting it off of my chest.

I was rather surprised to open up my emails this morning and there was a reply from one of my senators. Instead of a canned response, it was a rather lengthy reply which went into detail in response to my concerns. Whether it was done by the actual senator or one of his aides, I appreciated the reply. This is the first time I have ever got back a personalized response from one of my emails to Congress. From my other senator and my representative, not a peep. Too bad that the one who got back to me is retiring.
JRR, if you haven't already, I hope you take a moment to send a thank you note back to the senator. Public service these days has become such a thankless job - and probably factors into the impending retirement plans of the senator. I have no doubt that a note of appreciation would be gratefully received.
 
Old 09-05-2019, 07:59 AM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,871 posts, read 2,320,936 times
Reputation: 5715
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereWarm View Post
JRR, if you haven't already, I hope you take a moment to send a thank you note back to the senator. Public service these days has become such a thankless job - and probably factors into the impending retirement plans of the senator. I have no doubt that a note of appreciation would be gratefully received.
Did that right after I got the email. Thanked him for the reply. Said that even though I didn't always agree with him, that overall I felt that he was a good senator and thanked him for his service to the state and the country. Wished him well in his upcoming life after Congress.
 
Old 09-05-2019, 10:27 AM
 
7,467 posts, read 1,650,318 times
Reputation: 18157
I saw this on the Good News thread under Current Events, and thought I'd share it here.

https://www.today.com/news/grandson-...-parks-t160954
 
Old 09-05-2019, 01:11 PM
 
5,761 posts, read 3,042,193 times
Reputation: 10983
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
All this talk about Halloween as it was when we were kids is making me very nostalgic.

(And some people wonder why we seniors think that life was so much better when we were kids -- for the most part, anyway.)
It was better overall.

No shooters targeting grade schools
No Internet = lower risk of sexual predation
Parents less hurried, generally
More meals eaten together at home
Less self-absorption in separate TVs, computers, phones etc—most homes had one phone line, one TV
More places to play, because there were simply fewer people and houses
 
Old 09-05-2019, 05:51 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 856,422 times
Reputation: 4452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Michigan - June was a cool rainy bust, kept farmers out of the field and everyone off the lakes. Now late August and Sept are cold too! The small lake I bought a lot on cooled off end of August! So I spent a ton of money on this place and enjoyed it for a month and a half. Well not even that actually because I was only up there half the time.

Small complaints compared to the farmers. My nephew crop farms. Too much rain in June, then not enough rain, his soybeans didn't fill out. Feel so bad for him, very stressful times farming.
Both sides of my family were either dairy or beef and my parents had a small "Old MacDonalds" dairy farm. The farmers and ranchers have always held a spot in my heart.

I am so sorry for you nephew

I saw this on RFD-TV several days back but this is a CBS article. Is there any chance your nephew might qualify for help from this program --- which I hope is not a farce.

It does mention soybean farmers

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-f...heir-payments/
 
Old 09-05-2019, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Reputation: 12638
I have seen some things on TV regarding America's farmers. I feel very very bad for them. They work so darned hard for our benefit.
I don't keep up with all the politics, so I'm sad to say I don't know what happened. But how can we let this happen? Don't we have a moral obligation to help these people?

What is happening to our country?
 
Old 09-05-2019, 08:50 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,871 posts, read 2,320,936 times
Reputation: 5715
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have seen some things on TV regarding America's farmers. I feel very very bad for them. They work so darned hard for our benefit.
I don't keep up with all the politics, so I'm sad to say I don't know what happened. But how can we let this happen? Don't we have a moral obligation to help these people?

What is happening to our country?
Along with the always possibility of adverse weather, farmers have been caught up in the politics of the trade war with China. Sad to say, but they are experiencing collateral damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top