U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-08-2019, 12:16 AM
Status: "I Have A New Attitude Going Into 2020." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Spurs country. "Go, Spurs, Go!"
3,605 posts, read 4,191,483 times
Reputation: 9580

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I did, sort of...I think. Maybe. Found it through a friend who lives in the non disclosed town it was in, at about 7,500 feet in the foothills, somewhere in western Colorado. Talked to the owner, nice guy, retired lawman, just wanted to move to his hometown in another state.


My niece (one of hundreds) is a real estate agent, because I am considered middle poverty income for Colorado I qualified for a no down, low interest loan). House payment including insurance and taxes are less than what I was paying in rent. First payment due October.


In town, off the Main Street, which coincidently is named Main Street, corner lot, grass trees raised bed vegetable garden, fence in back yard, wood burning fireplace. Neighbors are nice, local kid mowing my lawn for me, a friend delivered 5 cords of firewood, for a steak dinner. People walk or drive by and wave and say hello. Kids walk by after school to pet my dog. "What did you learn today in school"? "nothing". Yup, school hasn't changed.


Deer sleep in the front yard which annoys my dog to no end because I won't let him chase them. He lays on the porch (yeah front porch, rocking chair), with his head in his paws glaring at them. They ignore him and me and anyone else who wanders by. No, I don't feed them it's against the law.


I can and do walk to "town", sit at a local café outside with the dog and have coffee and a sticky bun. Me and a few other cranky old guys make fun of tourists.


Anyway, not the town I wanted to retire to, but this was my second choice and it's growing on me. It'll be paid for somewhere around 2050. Just about the time Zefram Cochrane starts to invent warp drive.
It sounds like it couldn't be any more perfect. I am amazed that your buying the house is costing you less than the rent you were paying where you were so unhappy. I continue to enjoy your new stories about the pleasures in your life rather than your unhappiness with the events going on at the old house. BTW, how did you leave that place? Did you give notice? Did the LL find a new tenant? Again I am very happy for you, and your dog.

 
Old 09-08-2019, 10:22 AM
Status: "Happy New Year" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,371 posts, read 12,947,753 times
Reputation: 27418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
It sounds like it couldn't be any more perfect. I am amazed that your buying the house is costing you less than the rent you were paying where you were so unhappy. I continue to enjoy your new stories about the pleasures in your life rather than your unhappiness with the events going on at the old house. BTW, how did you leave that place? Did you give notice? Did the LL find a new tenant? Again I am very happy for you, and your dog.

Rent around these parts is insane. Expect to pay $2000 a month and up if you want a decent place, and NO PETS. You can find single wide trailers for $1,200 or so, and ghetto apartments for $1000. Now if you want to live in say Telluride, expect to pay $6,000 and up for rent.


I lucked out on this house, if it was in the small mountain town I want to live in it would be at least $500,000 if not more. I'll just say it was under $200,000. A lot under.


How I left my rental? I gave notice, packed, hired a local moving company, and left. Came back and cleaned, which didn't require much because I'm not a slob. Got my full deposit back. It's still empty, they raised the rent from what I was paying to an extra $400 a month, and of course, NO PETS.


LL "come back and see us". Um no thanks.


Slow gentle rain this morning, smells so nice in the pine trees.
 
Old 09-08-2019, 07:47 PM
 
5,900 posts, read 9,097,519 times
Reputation: 5158
I suspect I will be one of those tourists Jim is making fun of later this week. Should I wear a silly hat for your amusement?

I hope you can give a recommendation for camping at the nearby lake. Which campgrounds have vegetation and some seclusion? Not too far off the highway but least likely to attract ruffians? Since you want to remain obscure you can provide initials or just PM me.

Now that you have moved I'm dying to know where you lived that someone rented out a place where the wind was blowing through your walls. Sounds like the kind of place I need to avoid.
 
Old 09-08-2019, 07:55 PM
Status: "I Have A New Attitude Going Into 2020." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Spurs country. "Go, Spurs, Go!"
3,605 posts, read 4,191,483 times
Reputation: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Rent around these parts is insane. Expect to pay $2000 a month and up if you want a decent place, and NO PETS. You can find single wide trailers for $1,200 or so, and ghetto apartments for $1000. Now if you want to live in say Telluride, expect to pay $6,000 and up for rent.


I lucked out on this house, if it was in the small mountain town I want to live in it would be at least $500,000 if not more. I'll just say it was under $200,000. A lot under.


How I left my rental? I gave notice, packed, hired a local moving company, and left. Came back and cleaned, which didn't require much because I'm not a slob. Got my full deposit back. It's still empty, they raised the rent from what I was paying to an extra $400 a month, and of course, NO PETS.


LL "come back and see us". Um no thanks.


Slow gentle rain this morning, smells so nice in the pine trees.
This is just unreal in my world. He**, I don't bring in this much a month, I never made this much a month, let alone pay this for rent a month!

Enjoy the smell of the pines, so fragrant, so soothing. Thanks for sharing.
 
Old 09-08-2019, 09:57 PM
Status: "Happy New Year" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,371 posts, read 12,947,753 times
Reputation: 27418
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

I hope you can give a recommendation for camping at the nearby lake. .

Ridgway State Park. You'll never want to leave.


https://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/Parks/ridgway
 
Old 09-09-2019, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
1,172 posts, read 1,039,079 times
Reputation: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have seen some things on TV regarding America's farmers. I feel very very bad for them. They work so darned hard for our benefit.
I don't keep up with all the politics, so I'm sad to say I don't know what happened. But how can we let this happen? Don't we have a moral obligation to help these people?

What is happening to our country?
I feel bad to a point. Elections have consequences and most of them probably won't change how they vote next November.
 
Old 09-09-2019, 11:09 AM
 
6,146 posts, read 3,307,833 times
Reputation: 12071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
This is just unreal in my world. He**, I don't bring in this much a month, I never made this much a month, let alone pay this for rent a month!

Enjoy the smell of the pines, so fragrant, so soothing. Thanks for sharing.
$6000 per month might be the rate for a seasonal rental. But even if not, Telluride is expensive, to put it mildly.
 
Old 09-09-2019, 03:00 PM
 
5,900 posts, read 9,097,519 times
Reputation: 5158
Thanks, Jim. Do you have any opinions on the larger lake/reservoir to the northeast?
 
Old 09-09-2019, 03:28 PM
 
1,613 posts, read 2,283,348 times
Reputation: 2836
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I feel bad to a point. Elections have consequences and most of them probably won't change how they vote next November.

Yep, here in Iowa, most farmers are upset with Trump but will still vote for him, especially the big Ag producers
 
Old 09-09-2019, 04:11 PM
Status: "Happy New Year" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,371 posts, read 12,947,753 times
Reputation: 27418
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Thanks, Jim. Do you have any opinions on the larger lake/reservoir to the northeast?

Northeast? Like Maine? Have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top