U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 02:11 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
katharsis -- Sorry you are having a bad week. I think life tends to be like that -- things seem to happen in spurts. I hope it does get better.

Everybody is mentioning weather. Our weather is still hot, but it is getting more bearable. I even was able to do some gardening and tidying up yesterday -- it was not bad at all.

NYgal -- I hope the weather settles down for you, and that your eye is feeling better after surgery.

Jim -- A frost warning sounds delightful about now, but we will survive our heat. So glad you are enjoying your new home!

HollyhockGarden: Thank you! The eye surgery went OK but during the followup exam he commented there was still the "problem" but not as bad. I've really struggled with this whole deal. I am learning to realize it is what it is. I'm not blind. I'm still alive and for the most part good. My balance is not good. I keep "almost" stumbling, especially when I make a quick turn. I need a cane. But like other things, I have been putting it off. As I grow older I am thinking more about what is "coming" in the future.

Sorry, didn't mean this to be maudlin pity party for me. Sometimes it just smacks me in the face.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:01 PM

7,467 posts, read 1,650,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
We've been having a bad week. On Monday, our 14-year-old dog suddenly developed some severe weakness in her hind end for which our vet gave us some medication for her, but he said this might be the begging of her demise; on Tuesday, I pulled some muscles in my back at work on Tuesday, so I have been in varying degrees of pain with a lot of stiffness when changing positions since then; and yesterday my husband damaged our car which will cost almost $500 to fix. And this coming week, we are looking at spending almost $1,300 in getting our trees trimmed, and today we are having our front door put back into alignment, which will involve some trim work, and cost a minimum of $300.

We just seem to be going through a bad period right now, but "this too will end", I know! And at least the good news is that we are fortunate to be able to afford all the repairs, which I am very grateful for, at least.
Well, I spoke too soon and tempted fate. The front door alignment is actually more serious, so we are looking at about a $20k rehab job to have half of the entire front exterior wall rebuilt. (We are moving next year, anyway, so we will probably go the "Ugly Houses" route rather than go through that headache ourselves.)

Again, I know it could be much worse, though -- not nearly as bad as what some of those people in the Bahamas are facing! (Really puts things in perspective!)

Last edited by katharsis; 09-13-2019 at 04:11 PM..

Old 09-13-2019, 03:03 PM

5,775 posts, read 8,901,826 times
I'm happy to report that I'm evading the Tennessee weather by enjoying the coolness that is SW CO.

I drove past the Ridgway reservoir and my impression was that's a campground I couldn't wait to get out of. Fortunately the Montrose information office has directed me to a shady campsite near the unmentioned lake. The guy I spoke with is an nearly homeboy from Asheville who should understand my need for vegetation.

Based on Jim's obsfucation I suspect I will be driving through his unnamed town tomorrow. So if you see a tourist driving a bright navy blue subaru wagon with commercial tags be sure to wave. Probably there's a joke there, you have some time to figure it out. I didn't pack any funny hats so you could look for mottled brown sunglasses and beat up light blue and white boots if I'm walking.

I had lunch this afternoon in the beautiful burg of Ridgway. That is one quaint little burg and I am jealous of BDL for finding such a walkable locale. We haven't seen her around CD lately, have we?

Old 09-13-2019, 03:04 PM

5,775 posts, read 8,901,826 times
My goodness, what is the cause of the front wall deterioration?

Old 09-13-2019, 04:10 PM

7,467 posts, read 1,650,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
My goodness, what is the cause of the front wall deterioration?
Not sure, but probably something to do with the foundation shifting. There is a crack by the top of the front door heading over to the front window. (It's a 30-year-old home.)

Old 09-13-2019, 04:23 PM

5,428 posts, read 6,643,856 times
I am having one of those days too. small thing builds upon another small thing and I just feel lower than Job's turkey.

just little things but they add up.

received a letter from TRICARE that they refuse to pay recent doctor bills because I am not eligible for TRICARE. I know that. I gave the docs my medicare Part A and B and supplemental insurance cards. Why TRICARE got triggered I don't know. which means I call each doc office and say resubmit and do not push any button that goes to TRICARE.

Am taking French at the local college and I am definitely not doing as well as I want to do. The problem is the conversational part not the reading and speaking. I am wearing my hearing aids because I am not hearing well but French is a rapid language and there is truth to the mind being less flexible when older. I can feel my mind reaching to process what is said. It makes me slow to respond basically. I feel less than good about it.

the real problem that is bugging me is I do not feel well. Was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease stage 3 and am trying my best to eat kidney friendly and it is an effort. minimize phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and protein. eat ice berg lettuce but not spinach. summer squash but not winter squash. etc frustrating to grocery shop and to cook. fingers crossed this doesn't get any worse but I am checking out ordering renal friendly meal delivery and just be done with it.

then and most of all, I just lost my mother. She would be have been 92 in October. just sad that she suffered and I couldn't do anything to help. at least they gave her morphine on that last day. she went hard. Adult failure to thrive. I think her organs just failed all at once.

complaint over. thanks for listening.

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 09-13-2019 at 05:41 PM..

Old 09-13-2019, 06:04 PM

238 posts, read 197,663 times
TheOldNorthState,
I am very sorry to hear you just lost your Mother. I know that is hard to accept. Sending Hugs to you. I'm sure you did the best you could.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:34 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times
TheOldNorthState: I am really sorry to read your post that your mother recently passed away. It sounds like you were a very devoted "child."
You have so much going on right now and no doubt are feeling overwhelmed. If you are able to, lightening all your commitments would be a good idea. You need time to grieve.

Best wishes and prayers for you.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:39 PM

214 posts, read 195,218 times
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. My prayers are with you.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:45 PM

5,428 posts, read 6,643,856 times
Thank you all for your kind of thoughts. it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement