U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 07:45 PM

32,157 posts, read 13,188,374 times

Advertisements

Yes way too much rain, I'm getting moldy!!

Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,019,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
After what you have been through, being out in nature can be a healing experience. I do not know how to fish, but when I see a person out in mid-stream fishing within the great outdoors, I think how at-one s/he must feel with just the sounds of the natural world. I wish you a beautiful peaceful day in the setting you choose. I'm sure others here join me in this thought.
Had many good memories fishing with my sons. My daughters never really got in to fishing. The day before he died, my son caught a 30lb catfish. He was so proud of it.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:46 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Twenty four days of rain????? I'd be dying. Allergies can make you really sick, dragged out, headachy, grouchy. I hope you get some sun to dry the mold out.
Yes, we have been referring to it as the Monsoon season. So much terrible flooding as a result. And trees simply falling over . . . I have had flooding inside my home on three occasions. I am just so glad I was here to attend to it as it came through the space between my door sill and door (whatever that is correctly called). We had about 7 inches of water that pooled at one side of our house (the other side is on a hill). At times, we have had an inch of rain per hour.

Then there was the laundry room flooding but that was only a few inches and once we got the drain unclogged, no more big issues (still not sure how that drain backed up much less got clogged . . . couldn't get a plumber here to help us).

Thank goodness for shop vacs, lol.

A friend in the same situation suggested sand bags but I haven't been able to locate any here at this time. I used to carry 4 sandbags around in my trunk in the winter to stabilize the rear end of my car, but sadly, when I had some renovation done on the deck, evidently the workmen carried them off when they cleaned up the site, as they were stored in a covered area under our deck.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Yes way too much rain, I'm getting moldy!!
That's right - you are in NC, too, aren't you?

I hope you are not in Catawba County. What a terrible mess those folks have had.

Just one of many stories on the flooding in the foothills of NC:

Flooding in North Carolina kills 2 - CNN.com

Old 08-03-2013, 09:57 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,771,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Mine have gone wild, too . . . I am highly allergic to mold/fungi and can you imagine what is growing here at this shady mountain house after 24 days of rain in July? LOL

Yes, thank god for allergy meds!!!
WOW! And I thought we were soggy after about nine inches in the last week or so, two of them so far this morning and flash flood warnings through Monday.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
WOW! And I thought we were soggy after about nine inches in the last week or so, two of them so far this morning and flash flood warnings through Monday.
Yes, it was a record rainfall situation in many counties of western NC. The sad thing is -- we have had abnormally high rainfall since March.

I was to have my new roof put on this mountain house in April. The contractor has not been able to even start on it. There has not been a full week of sunshine here during April, May, June or July. Now, it is typical to have small afternoon showers, of course, and the roofer can work around that.

The problem has been - maybe two days of sun or three at the most in succession- without a huge thunder and lightning type storm.

https://www.facebook.com/WataugaCountyRoadConditions

That is a really interesting FB page, which I consult sometimes several times a day! Lots of great info on the weather and road conditions -- and local folks post photos on the site, as well. You might enjoy checking it out.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,128,339 times
Ugh, that much rain can get old quickly. Time for the rain clouds to move on and stop soaking you guys. Forget the new roof, you might need that contractor to build you an ark soon.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:43 AM

606 posts, read 563,663 times
WoW ! On the Olympic Peninsula, west of Seattle, we finally had rain early yesterday morning ! The grass was brown, yellow, haven't mowed much except with the mower,
usually use a lawn tractor as we (I) have over of land. Today, grey too after mostly
Friday of welcomed rain !

Blessing others with items from the sheds, one used for the garden, the other personal storage or taking to the recycle shop or---garbage/trash ! Garage is looking better too!
Feel lighter with items I haven't used in a long time now being used by someone else !

Old 08-03-2013, 03:23 PM

Firing up the grill! So far, a day WITHOUT RAIN! whooooo weeeeeeee!!!!!!

It's cloudy out there and there has been rain today nearby (within 10 miles!) but so far . . . we have skirted more precip.

Of course, hubby is convinced that as soon as I get ready to put the chicken on the coals . . . we'll get a downpour, lololol!!!

Old 08-03-2013, 03:42 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,703,133 times
Wish we would get some of that rain, here, in Oregon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement