U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 06:08 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,100 times

Advertisements

Had a nice weekend. It was nice to get away from everything and relax. My wife has to go back to work on Weds. She has she wants to set up her classroom tomorrow and Tues.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:28 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Had a nice weekend. It was nice to get away from everything and relax. My wife has to go back to work on Weds. She has she wants to set up her classroom tomorrow and Tues.
Glad to hear this was a relaxing weekend.

The summer has gone too quickly . . . I had not realized how soon school will be starting back in many districts.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Glad to hear this was a relaxing weekend.

The summer has gone too quickly . . . I had not realized how soon school will be starting back in many districts.
My wife's district starts the 12th. She has three days of meetings and luncheons. The kids do get a lot of time off during the school year. Plus it's a good way to her mind off this mess...

We're planning on taking my great-grands to the zoo next weekend. Hard to believe my great-granddaughter will be starting kindergarten this year. They grow up so fast.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
My wife's district starts the 12th. She has three days of meetings and luncheons. The kids do get a lot of time off during the school year. Plus it's a good way to her mind off this mess...

We're planning on taking my great-grands to the zoo next weekend. Hard to believe my great-granddaughter will be starting kindergarten this year. They grow up so fast.
Yes, they do grow up too fast . . .

What a great trip to round out the summer! And something to talk about when your ggrand starts kindergarten and is asked "what did you do this summer?"

The 12th seems so early but having breaks throughout the year would be a good balance.

I hope getting back into a routine and focusing on the new school year will be a very positive thing for your wife at this point. I know you both must be living with heavy hearts these days. A friend once told me, after her son's death, that she was learning to "accept the unacceptable" and that the most wise thing that she had read was to be kind to herself as she learned to "walk beside the pain rather than in it." She said she was trying to learn what that meant -- and how to do it. I will never forget her saying that b/c it made sense to me, but how hard that would be to do - to find that equilibrium - when our hearts are broken.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, they do grow up too fast . . .

What a great trip to round out the summer! And something to talk about when your ggrand starts kindergarten and is asked "what did you do this summer?"

The 12th seems so early but having breaks throughout the year would be a good balance.

I hope getting back into a routine and focusing on the new school year will be a very positive thing for your wife at this point. I know you both must be living with heavy hearts these days. A friend once told me, after her son's death, that she was learning to "accept the unacceptable" and that the most wise thing that she had read was to be kind to herself as she learned to "walk beside the pain rather than in it." She said she was trying to learn what that meant -- and how to do it. I will never forget her saying that b/c it made sense to me, but how hard that would be to do - to find that equilibrium - when our hearts are broken.
It is a great way to round out the summer. We volunteered to watch her this weekend. She lives with my other son and his long term girlfriend, her grandparents. That's a mess I want nothing with He's having teeth extracted Thur. She can be a pain. She likes to "help".

It's been a hard summer for my wife. Her mom had some health issues. Hopefully we are done dealing with those. She was being over medicated. She went from 10 prescriptions down to four. It should be a lot easier, now that my sister-in-law is retired and can help more. Although she didn't raise my son, she considered him her son as well. I regret all the years lost fighting with him over his drinking and the way he lived his life.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
It is a great way to round out the summer. We volunteered to watch her this weekend. She lives with my other son and his long term girlfriend, her grandparents. That's a mess I want nothing with He's having teeth extracted Thur. She can be a pain. She likes to "help".

It's been a hard summer for my wife. Her mom had some health issues. Hopefully we are done dealing with those. She was being over medicated. She went from 10 prescriptions down to four. It should be a lot easier, now that my sister-in-law is retired and can help more. Although she didn't raise my son, she considered him her son as well. I regret all the years lost fighting with him over his drinking and the way he lived his life.
I know you can't help but think about such things as the years lost fighting . . . and for anyone, that would be a regret . . . but I am going to bet that the arguments all grew out of love and concern for his health and well-being. I would suspect that you and your wife were simply trying every way you knew to help him see that he needed help. What were you supposed to do -- stand by and say nothing? I would think it would be easy to get that out of perspective while going through grief . . . but I hope you can remind yourself that anything you did and said and thought and felt -- I know it was because you loved him and wanted only the best for him.

Any parent would have done the same thing, I would think. We do what we can, what we know how to do . . . we can always look back and find an imperfection in our methods or choices, but what matters is -- we did our best, we did what we could. In the end, addiction is not something we can rescue anyone else from . . . we can intervene, we can give our loved ones the tools, we can beg and plead and be stern and lay down rules . . . but we never quit loving and hoping.

Despite all that . . . we can't fix them. They have to do that for themselves. And that's at the core of the heartache and the heartbreak for parents.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Big storm came through this morning. Heavy rain and 70mph winds.Looked like a hurricane outside. Lost power for awhile.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Big storm came through this morning. Heavy rain and 70mph winds.Looked like a hurricane outside. Lost power for awhile.
Hope all is well and no one was in danger!!

We are getting ready for another round of rain. It rained yesterday and some last nite (very light - actually a pleasant kind of rain).

But the next few days look like real "storms" blowing up . . .

The roofer was supposed to come tomorrow. Looks like that is unlikely.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:

We are getting ready for another round of rain. It rained yesterday and some last nite (very light - actually a pleasant kind of rain).

We seem to be finished with the rain, which lasted for weeks on end. August started with perfect #10 weather, the kind one associates with the best of New England....ocean/sailing weather. I hope it lasts the rest of the month because we haven't made it to the Maine beaches. I'll have to overcome my travel woes, but in weather like this it's awfully hard to sit still. Right after the kids go back to school (before Labor Day, thankfully) is the best time to be at the beach. The high pressure weather had better old up. We're also needing dry in order to get the driveway redone. I'll send good thoughts your way for sun.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:

Bummer! You finally find a guy and then the weather acts up. Those construction etc... guys must be hurting this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement