U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-06-2013, 06:56 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
We seem to be finished with the rain, which lasted for weeks on end. August started with perfect #10 weather, the kind one associates with the best of New England....ocean/sailing weather. I hope it lasts the rest of the month because we haven't made it to the Maine beaches. I'll have to overcome my travel woes, but in weather like this it's awfully hard to sit still. Right after the kids go back to school (before Labor Day, thankfully) is the best time to be at the beach. The high pressure weather had better old up. We're also needing dry in order to get the driveway redone. I'll send good thoughts your way for sun.

We are having very Fall-like weather the last 3 days! In fact, some of the leaves are already turning yellow and red. Folks are speculating if we will have an early Fall (wh/ means we really had no summer! Just MONSOON!!!)

Thank you for the good thoughts. I found out this afternoon that there is a problem with my permit - the Architectural Review Committee has not approved it. Well, hells bells. My roof is leaking, folks. I don't really care whether it has been approved or not - if I have a chance of getting my roof, let's do it. The Big Shots need to review a roof replacement? Same materials? HUH?

All this bureaucratic BS . . . all I am doing is replacing the roof, not building another structure, for heaven's sake.

 
Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We are having very Fall-like weather the last 3 days! In fact, some of the leaves are already turning yellow and red. Folks are speculating if we will have an early Fall (wh/ means we really had no summer! Just MONSOON!!!)

Thank you for the good thoughts. I found out this afternoon that there is a problem with my permit - the Architectural Review Committee has not approved it. Well, hells bells. My roof is leaking, folks. I don't really care whether it has been approved or not - if I have a chance of getting my roof, let's do it. The Big Shots need to review a roof replacement? Same materials? HUH?

All this bureaucratic BS . . . all I am doing is replacing the roof, not building another structure, for heaven's sake.
Mention that your roof has been leaking and the longer you have to wait the more damage that will be done. Timing with all the rain is critical. Imagine if the roof caved and someone was hurt all because they delayed the permit (hint).
 
Old 08-07-2013, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Mention that your roof has been leaking and the longer you have to wait the more damage that will be done. Timing with all the rain is critical. Imagine if the roof caved and someone was hurt all because they delayed the permit (hint).
An ice dam formed under our roof in our last house and weakened the entire ceiling, part of which fell. Luckily no one was home.

Ani, take photos of any damage and bring to the permit office. Why would a permit be denied anyway? It's money for the town coffers.
 
Old 08-07-2013, 09:39 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Mention that your roof has been leaking and the longer you have to wait the more damage that will be done. Timing with all the rain is critical. Imagine if the roof caved and someone was hurt all because they delayed the permit (hint).
You are so smart! This is exactly what I did. I said - emergency situation. Thank you for taking the time to help me think this through!
 
Old 08-07-2013, 09:48 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
An ice dam formed under our roof in our last house and weakened the entire ceiling, part of which fell. Luckily no one was home.

Ani, take photos of any damage and bring to the permit office. Why would a permit be denied anyway? It's money for the town coffers.
This is not a permit for the town. This is for the Architectural Review Committee for our community. I had realized I need to pay them to get the "permit" and no problem with that - they just charge to my POA account. However, I was told that since the crew had worked here before, there was no problem with letting this particular roofer back onsite.

The ARC and POA/Prop. Mgt. folks won't let just anyone onto the premises, if you can believe that. Even if they are licensed and have the proper insurance. They have a list of "approved" contractors. I can't even get a handyman to come to my house unless he goes thru/ this scrutiny and unless I submit a request for a permit, pay a fee, and get the work approved. This was not the way things were when we bought the home, but the resort went bankrupt in the late 90s or early 2000 -- and was sold to a corporation of club members. It is very complicated.

So this has nothing to do with a legal permit from the county/city. This is just a revenue generating thing - and a group of old men who like having control over every aspect of the property here. Even though I am putting on the same shake roof as I had, they have to "approve" it.

If I didn't love it here so much, no way I would put up with these crazy rules and restrictions.

I have gotten bids from 3 of the contractors on the "approved list" -- starting last summer. None of them could even schedule me last year . . . and this one contractor has been trying to get here since April. The rest were booked up and told me they would try to work me in at the end of the season (most likely - October). So I told folks this morning - I have to have help - and someone needs to work with me, or they will be working with my attorney. That is not a hollow "threat" - I have no choice -- the longer this goes on, the more the damage and the more the cost to me to mitigate the damage.

We had already gotten into a battle earlier this year about putting tarps on the two areas that have leaks. They denied my request. So I am more than a little bit fired up, lol. However, the folks in Property Mgt are good people and nothing but cooperative -- so my ire is not aimed at them . . . they are just following the rules. It is the owners of the corporation (board officers) who are the typrants in this scenario.
 
Old 08-07-2013, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
We had a big storm last night. Hail bigger than golf balls, high winds. I was out driving right afterwards and 1/2 the traffic lights and a majority of the street lights were out - spooky.

And then I went to let my dogs out - a huge tree limb (1/4 of the maple) had fallen across my patio. With everything else I'm trying to get done here - I really needed this new headache.

The news is showing huge trees down on top of homes, cars - a real mess.
 
Old 08-07-2013, 11:00 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
We had a big storm last night. Hail bigger than golf balls, high winds. I was out driving right afterwards and 1/2 the traffic lights and a majority of the street lights were out - spooky.

And then I went to let my dogs out - a huge tree limb (1/4 of the maple) had fallen across my patio. With everything else I'm trying to get done here - I really needed this new headache.

The news is showing huge trees down on top of homes, cars - a real mess.
OH NO. That sounds awful!

Have you assessed to see if there is any damage to such things as your roof and gutters? We have incurred hail damage before when it was fast falling but smaller hail than what you had last night.

And your cars . . . we didn't realize til later that the roof of our car had hail damage - we just couldn't see the damage except when light fell on it a particular way/angle. Hopefully, your cars were in the garage and no worries!

I hope nothing on your patio was damaged. Clean up is a real PITA!!! So sorry you are dealing with this, Umbria - and glad you and the doggies were not hurt!
 
Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
My handyman was next door doing some work and will be coming soon to do some things (I have a very long list) and he will look it over. I good handyman is hard to find - I swear we would all resort to fisty cuffs over this guy. He loves the attention - believe me, we lay it on Now I need to figure out something good to make for lunch - some women fight over men, others fight over the handyman

Dogs are fine and the cars were in the garage - the news reported that an entire lot of cars were dented from the hail.

Good luck with your roof - refused the tarps??????? They really have set themselves up for legal trouble - with all your rain, more and more damage is happening each time it rains. Not very smart of them.

Last edited by Umbria; 08-07-2013 at 11:56 AM..
 
Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
My handyman was next door doing some work and will be coming soon to do some things (I have a very long list) and he will look it over. I good handyman is hard to find - I swear we would all resort to fisty cuffs over this guy. He loves the attention - believe me, we lay it on Now I need to figure out something good to make for lunch - some women fight over men, others fight over the handyman
ABSOLUTELY!!! I would fight for mine, lololol!!!

I provide lunch, coffee, desserts, bottles of water . . . to make it a pleasant experience to be at my house!!

I do have a great person to work with at our Charlotte house. Can't find anyone here -- very hit and miss (including reliability - most folks just don't show up! weird! they call it "working on mountain time" lol).

I am having a steak sandwich (leftovers!) for lunch along with a mixed salad. I guess I shouldn't eat the bread but I really really like a good sandwich for lunch. However, bread is my downfall as far as carbs. :-(
 
Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Not to change the subject, but here is some news we can live with.

Two cups of hot cocoa a day sharpens seniors' brains, study suggests - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top