U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 09:57 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We just had ours in NC< but there is a cap on the amount you can buy and still get it tax free -- and only on certain items. I didn't have anything that I needed. I probably should have seen if a new phone (landline) as on the list. I forgot.
Iowa does a sales tax holiday. I think it's only on clothes and footwear. Even then there are restrictions.

Last edited by BJW50; 08-09-2013 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 10:42 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
I like my state's philosophy that food and clothing are necessities and therefore should not be taxed. For everything else we just go over the line to New Hampshire where there's no tax on anything. One good thing about living near NH. Of course it does hurt local businesses because of all the people shopping in NH.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:26 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
this is making my day

Eleven states get failing grades for nursing home care - CBS News

I've got to figure out how to avoid this. Maybe some live-in nursing students when I hit 80.

And from experienced with two elders, this is not a problem necessarily confined to lower-level nursing homes.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I like my state's philosophy that food and clothing are necessities and therefore should not be taxed. For everything else we just go over the line to New Hampshire where there's no tax on anything. One good thing about living near NH. Of course it does hurt local businesses because of all the people shopping in NH.
I was just at HD paying for my purchases on this no-tax weekend when I heard the elder gentleman next to me debating whether to use his "military" discount or the tax-free option (apparently you cannot use both on a single purchase). He wound up taking the military option. I did not know that HD offers a military benefit. So those of you who have served, no matter how old, be sure to check it out.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:21 AM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
this is making my day

Eleven states get failing grades for nursing home care - CBS News

I've got to figure out how to avoid this. Maybe some live-in nursing students when I hit 80.

And from experienced with two elders, this is not a problem necessarily confined to lower-level nursing homes.
I heard it on the radio and MA rated pretty well but like you, I know better. My mother was in a beautiful nursing home in the last months of her life and she said they were mean to her at night when no one was there. One time she needed the bedpan and the aide just ignored her and finally told her to just wet the bed! Even during the day they wouldn't bring her a blanket when she asked and when they brought her food, no one would help her cut it up so she could eat. One of us tried to be there, somehow, around lunch time and she never went a day without at least one of us coming in. We needed to advocate for her all the time, report things, take care of her ourselves. One of my biggest fears is being old and weak and having to depend on a place like that.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:31 AM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Going into the article about nursing homes, here is how they are graded
http://nursinghomereportcards.com/grading-methodology/

To be fair, it does not mean every nursing home in any one state is wonderful nor horrible but it sure does make it sound like oversight for them might be a consideration.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:14 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I was just at HD paying for my purchases on this no-tax weekend when I heard the elder gentleman next to me debating whether to use his "military" discount or the tax-free option (apparently you cannot use both on a single purchase). He wound up taking the military option. I did not know that HD offers a military benefit. So those of you who have served, no matter how old, be sure to check it out.
Yes - and so does Lowes. And Chrysler/Jeep, lol. And Carnival Cruise Lines.

These discounts can really help!

Last edited by brokensky; 08-10-2013 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 01:25 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
So happy! One of my childhood friends has moved back to this region from Florida and he is going to take over with all the renovations on this house! YAY!!!! I am so relieved . . . expert craftsmanship from someone I trust!!! Today has been a good day! :-)

Old 08-10-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I heard it on the radio and MA rated pretty well but like you, I know better. My mother was in a beautiful nursing home in the last months of her life and she said they were mean to her at night when no one was there. One time she needed the bedpan and the aide just ignored her and finally told her to just wet the bed! Even during the day they wouldn't bring her a blanket when she asked and when they brought her food, no one would help her cut it up so she could eat. One of us tried to be there, somehow, around lunch time and she never went a day without at least one of us coming in. We needed to advocate for her all the time, report things, take care of her ourselves. One of my biggest fears is being old and weak and having to depend on a place like that.
Let's form our own nursing home on the beach. We'll let nursing students live rent-free. My DP is a fabulous cook so he can do the meals. One of those huge places, you know...like the house of the seven gables with a view of the sea....

Old 08-10-2013, 01:58 PM

5,428 posts, read 6,645,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So happy! One of my childhood friends has moved back to this region from Florida and he is going to take over with all the renovations on this house! YAY!!!! I am so relieved . . . expert craftsmanship from someone I trust!!! Today has been a good day! :-)
childhood friends are the best! Congrats Ani

I still haven't made it back to Black Mountain to retire but when I do I know already who I can trust. Because I knew them back when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement