U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 09:48 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,649,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
...They just didn't really want to go to work! I was told by one of the old-timers here that the guys often are on unemployment, laid off status (whatever) and drawing a paycheck even when not working. I don't know if that is accurate or not.
It could be that it's such a paperwork hassle for them to take small or short-term jobs while on unemployment that it just isn't worth doing.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:06 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
It could be that it's such a paperwork hassle for them to take small or short-term jobs while on unemployment that it just isn't worth doing.
I am thinking that is probably right, oddstray. It would explain a lot.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:20 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wow, Ani, a difference between regions! Here the contractors, carpenters, driveway "guys," even those who haul trash are out straight. I know this because of the networking here and my son tells me he can hardly get hired temp help in his house building, as these young guys and gals are running around between jobs. They can just about command their price. This is also the time of year when people get rid of stuff and need haulers. Try to line someone up for that! It's like getting a doctors appt, weeks out! Almost all of the cordwood suppliers sold out back in May. They will only have green wood now. Any seasoned will cost a bundle. I guess the summer here is more "urgent" in terms of services because fall and winter come earlier than down south. You never know when the snow is gonna fly here! (I have "fond" memories of the October Surprise two years ago, when the blizzard knocked out power for over a week). Oh, and forget trying to find a new snow blower or generator after Sept 15!
Here we have the "summer crowd" and they stay usually til Halloween, but some stay til Thanksgiving. So prime time for workers here is mid April to Thanksgiving.

I called the only upholstery shop in February or maybe it was early March. Anyway, I assumed calling that early would mean I could bring my chair and upholstery by the shop (this was in Boone, not Charlotte) and get a fast turnaround. I was told they already had Decorator orders in for the "summer people." And they would call me when they had an opening. I still haven't gotten a call, lol. I think I will try again around Halloween.

There is a lot of money up here w/ part time homeowners . . . and they employ folks year round while they are gone, to do remodeling and interior design, landscaping, etc. So those people dont' have problems with working year round.

The work ethic for many people here, tho, is fashioned around a lifestyle. People just don't care if they don't make a lot of money -- as long as they can also hunt, fish, hike, whitewater raft - all the things they moved here to do. So there are also folks here who, even if their work is seasonal, they still want their "down" time to pursue what they love. It is one reason I so enjoy being here - folks are not driven by material things (the locals, that is). But at the same time, it makes it very difficult to get a project finished in a timely fashion.

Some of the workers here also follow homeowners back to Florida. The guy who was supposed to do my interior remodeling left in November to live on-site at a client's home in Florida . . . and stayed through May to act as contractor on an addition for his client's Florida house. He came back in June but told me he was going to be tied up with another big project that would take up the whole summer. I totally understood - he is a super guy and meticulous. And also - not cheap - $35/hr. But he is a perfectionist so worth the $$$. However, that left me without someone to do my work.

I would say folks find out about the best contractors and skilled laborers by word of mouth here - and so they never advertise, as they don't have to. So unless you know someone who can recommend these guys - you never know they exist. And most of them are so sought after - they stay booked - IF they want to stay booked, lol.

I have also found many of them act as caretaker of the homes here during the winter, while the homeowners are in Florida. My neighbor across the road has someone who must more or less move into his home once they head back to Florida, and the guy does all sorts of work during the winter. Last winter, he built a huge rock wall at the lower end of the property. The year before that, he basically finished off an unfinished basement in the house.

I just can't figure out why the unemployment figures here are so high, when it seems everyone is working - well, working as much as they want to work, lol.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
ani

I got home this afternoon to a truck sitting in my driveway and a guy measuring the driveway. I got out, perplexed, thinking he had the wrong house. He introduced himself as Frenchie, the driveway pro I had contacted back in April! I said is this the first you could get back to me and he said he's been out straight with work. If I want him to do the driveway I'd better book now. I'm still waiting for estimates and will do a contract with whomever I choose, but I have no idea how to get two others over here in time for Oct. Maybe with so many homeowners staying put, the economy for home improvement is booming.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:37 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,472,596 times
Quote:
Here we have the "summer crowd" and they stay usually til Halloween, but some stay til Thanksgiving. So prime time for workers here is mid April to Thanksgiving.

I called the only upholstery shop in February or maybe it was early March. Anyway, I assumed calling that early would mean I could bring my chair and upholstery by the shop (this was in Boone, not Charlotte) and get a fast turnaround. I was told they already had Decorator orders in for the "summer people." And they would call me when they had an opening. I still haven't gotten a call, lol. I think I will try again around Halloween.

There is a lot of money up here w/ part time homeowners . . . and they employ folks year round while they are gone, to do remodeling and interior design, landscaping, etc. So those people dont' have problems with working year round.

The work ethic for many people here, tho, is fashioned around a lifestyle. People just don't care if they don't make a lot of money -- as long as they can also hunt, fish, hike, whitewater raft - all the things they moved here to do. So there are also folks here who, even if their work is seasonal, they still want their "down" time to pursue what they love. It is one reason I so enjoy being here - folks are not driven by material things (the locals, that is). But at the same time, it makes it very difficult to get a project finished in a timely fashion.

Some of the workers here also follow homeowners back to Florida. The guy who was supposed to do my interior remodeling left in November to live on-site at a client's home in Florida . . . and stayed through May to act as contractor on an addition for his client's Florida house. He came back in June but told me he was going to be tied up with another big project that would take up the whole summer. I totally understood - he is a super guy and meticulous. And also - not cheap - $35/hr. But he is a perfectionist so worth the $$$. However, that left me without someone to do my work.

I would say folks find out about the best contractors and skilled laborers by word of mouth here - and so they never advertise, as they don't have to. So unless you know someone who can recommend these guys - you never know they exist. And most of them are so sought after - they stay booked - IF they want to stay booked, lol.

I have also found many of them act as caretaker of the homes here during the winter, while the homeowners are in Florida. My neighbor across the road has someone who must more or less move into his home once they head back to Florida, and the guy does all sorts of work during the winter. Last winter, he built a huge rock wall at the lower end of the property. The year before that, he basically finished off an unfinished basement in the house.

I just can't figure out why the unemployment figures here are so high, when it seems everyone is working - well, working as much as they want to work, lol.
The high demand people are many times paid in cash - great incentive. Unemployment doesn't know, - no one knows.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. General unemployment is one thing, but skilled labor/professionals another. Anyone with their own construction, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, hvac service is going to stay working, and trying to keep up with demand for their services. Anyone unemployed who is not skilled in these areas you wouldn't trust to do any of this work at any cost. The general unemployment figures include a ton of youth who cannot find jobs, recent grads, and people age 50+ who have lost their jobs. They are not the ones in biz for themselve.s

Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM

5,450 posts, read 3,541,947 times
There have been a lot of driveway scams in the last year or so. They promise to pave with certain materials, but pave with other less desirable, less quality materials instead. Or the driveway operations scam the homeowners in other ways.

There have also been reports that driveway paving scam artists just show up and pave without permission, and then try to bill the homeowners.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-22-2013 at 04:46 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
There have been a lot of driveway scams in the last year or so. They promise to pave with certain materials, but pave with other less desirable, less quality materials instead. Or the driveway operations scam the homeowners in other ways.

There have also been reports that driveway paving scam artists just show up and pave without permission, and then try to bill the homeowners.

So, how do I know that the quality materials promised are really going to be used on the job? I personally wouldn't!

For that matter, once the roofer shows up with samples of materials how do you know those same materials are actually going to be used instead of some substandard crap from China that looks like them? (think of all the fake pharmaceuticals out there!)

Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 PM

5,450 posts, read 3,541,947 times
If you are interested, newenglandgirl, type the following into google.com to retrieve paving driveway scams in Massachusetts:

paving driveway scams ma

Old 08-22-2013, 11:40 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,152,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So, how do I know that the quality materials promised are really going to be used on the job? I personally wouldn't!

For that matter, once the roofer shows up with samples of materials how do you know those same materials are actually going to be used instead of some substandard crap from China that looks like them? (think of all the fake pharmaceuticals out there!)
Word of mouth references, Angie's List, BBB, licensing bureaus, etc. are likely your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement