U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
ani

I got home this afternoon to a truck sitting in my driveway and a guy measuring the driveway. I got out, perplexed, thinking he had the wrong house. He introduced himself as Frenchie, the driveway pro I had contacted back in April! I said is this the first you could get back to me and he said he's been out straight with work. If I want him to do the driveway I'd better book now. I'm still waiting for estimates and will do a contract with whomever I choose, but I have no idea how to get two others over here in time for Oct. Maybe with so many homeowners staying put, the economy for home improvement is booming.
OH MY! Since April? <jaw drops>

Are you ready to go ahead w/ the project? Cause I am with ya - better grab your slot. Plus, you do NOT want to be trying to pour a driveway (concrete or asphalt, either one) once it gets cold.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
The high demand people are many times paid in cash - great incentive. Unemployment doesn't know, - no one knows.
Absolutely correct! I have had folks tell me they would take on a job if I would pay in cash. No further explanation, of course, and I knew to not ask, either, lololol.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. General unemployment is one thing, but skilled labor/professionals another. Anyone with their own construction, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, hvac service is going to stay working, and trying to keep up with demand for their services. Anyone unemployed who is not skilled in these areas you wouldn't trust to do any of this work at any cost. The general unemployment figures include a ton of youth who cannot find jobs, recent grads, and people age 50+ who have lost their jobs. They are not the ones in biz for themselve.s
That may be true where you live, but it isn't here!

As Umbria pointed out, some folks have remained on unemployment (officially, "on the books") and are working off the books on a cash basis. So that skews the UE figures.

And the other thing here is . . . folks typically DO have their own companies, but they simply CHOOSE not to work. The work ethic is entirely different in these mountains than anywhere I have lived before -- and remember, I grew up spending a lot of time here b/c my parents have a second home -- and it was less than an hour from where we lived. It has always been this way - folks are not interested in a lot of material wealth . . . or paying taxes. They would rather work when they wish to work, make just enough money to cover their expenses, and then enjoy outdoor activities on their days or weeks off.

I personally know quite a few skilled tradesmen in this area who won't work for weeks at a time b/c it is hunting season and that is all they will be doing. Deer and turkey hunting are huge in this region. And I would suspect they see it as an offset in cost, b/c folks dress their own venison and turkey, freeze the meat, and live off it for a year at a time.

I just talked to a contractor last night (ran into each other a mutal friend's home) and he told me things had been screwy this summer, b/c he couldn't pick and choose the days he wanted to work, due to so much rain. He said it sucked b/c it wasn't as though he could get out and fish when its pouring rain, so this summer had been ruined. He wasn't lamenting the lack of money - only the lack of good fishing days!!! lolololol

Old 08-23-2013, 08:40 AM

You can bet that my friend who is coming to work on this house will be taking day's off to fish and hunt. Only thing is - he will invite me to fish and hunt with him, lol. I will definitely take him up on the fishing and I may take him up on the turkey hunting. My daddy has promised I can borrow my grandfather's shot gun for the turkey hunt.

Life here is just different, folks. I live in between two worlds; the folks around me in this resort are almost all part time residents and live in Florida when not here. Lots of snobbery here - and all golf fanatics (not putting golf down! love the game! Just can't play any longer b/c of back problems). But the locals are typically folks whose families have been here since the 1700s, and who fought native Americans to claim their land. Self-reliant, stubborn, multi-talented, and wary of outsiders. They do their own thing, their own way.

Since a child, I heard folks jokingly refer to "mountain time." The locals will wink and say - we operate on mountain time. No one has to be in too much of a hurry in these hills. Folks "get to it" when they can. It's a different world up here!!!!

Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
I guess it's much more competitive for work up here. Skilled professionals in home building, etc want to work and they're out to get the job. They know if they goof off it'll "get around." Son tells me he and his crew work well past 7:00 some eves on a work site, and no one complains, they just put their nose to the grindstone and keep working. When his crew put the roof on my house he would only give them short breaks, while I served coffee and pizza for lunch so they wouldn't starve. Same with other workers we've had. The only thing I'm inexperienced with is new driveways, so will check out son's recommendations for that and will be sure to have a contract. I was just thinking today about that little house on one floor with no yard, something I can let weather and age in the ocean air and not care about upgrades.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I guess it's much more competitive for work up here. Skilled professionals in home building, etc want to work and they're out to get the job. They know if they goof off it'll "get around." Son tells me he and his crew work well past 7:00 some eves on a work site, and no one complains, they just put their nose to the grindstone and keep working. When his crew put the roof on my house he would only give them short breaks, while I served coffee and pizza for lunch so they wouldn't starve. Same with other workers we've had. The only thing I'm inexperienced with is new driveways, so will check out son's recommendations for that and will be sure to have a contract. I was just thinking today about that little house on one floor with no yard, something I can let weather and age in the ocean air and not care about upgrades.
Yes, that image of such a house pops up for us all, from time to time!

Enjoy your afternoon!!!

Old 08-23-2013, 06:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, that image of such a house pops up for us all, from time to time!

Enjoy your afternoon!!!
Thanks, but actually I had an unsettling day. Funeral in the morning, and then I decided to piggyback my neighbor's big tag sale with a table of my beautiful houseplants that I nurtured since babyhood (cuttings). I had prices like 5, 8, and 11 bucks each, which included the glazed ceramic pots that are so pricey. No offers whatsoever. I decided it's degrading to offer nice things for pennies (what people want to pay) at yard sales. I'd rather give them for free to a good home. Now I have all these plants outside that I don' t want to bring back in after the emotional decision to give them away....it had better not rain as they will then be too heavy to lift. Now, where to donate....

Old 08-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks, but actually I had an unsettling day. Funeral in the morning, and then I decided to piggyback my neighbor's big tag sale with a table of my beautiful houseplants that I nurtured since babyhood (cuttings). I had prices like 5, 8, and 11 bucks each, which included the glazed ceramic pots that are so pricey. No offers whatsoever. I decided it's degrading to offer nice things for pennies (what people want to pay) at yard sales. I'd rather give them for free to a good home. Now I have all these plants outside that I don' t want to bring back in after the emotional decision to give them away....it had better not rain as they will then be too heavy to lift. Now, where to donate....
Nursing home? School? Library? Friends? Neighbors?

Yes, your prices probably didn't even cover the price of the pots . . . but I know when I go to a yard sale, I expect pennies on the dollar. I have gotten a lot of my pots for my plants at yard sales.

I am sorry to hear about the funeral - never an easy situation.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 AM

Sunny today - the first "real" total day of sunshine in well over a week! And the forecast is for sun tomorrow, as well! YAY!!!!

Going to grill this evening . . . making up my menus for the rest of the week so I can get most of the items I need when I head grocery shopping later in a bit.

So thrilled to see the sunshine - I have wasted too much time on the deck this morning! I sat out there so long I completely drained the battery on my iPad, wh/ I never do.

I think I will go and sit some more! Temps in low 70s, slight breeze - a perfect mountain day.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:02 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So thrilled to see the sunshine - I have wasted too much time on the deck this morning!
Sitting on a deck on a beautiful day--ahhhhh! Now this is what retirement is for. Don't care how long you were out there, it's not my idea of wasting time.

I've always thought how odd it is when I drive around town and see all these homes with decks and condo buildings with balconies--and nobody is sitting out on them. Why is that? When you go to other countries, you see people constantly out on their decks. (Of course, maybe here in the US people prefer private decks hidden from view in the backyards, not the ones that someone driving by would see.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement