U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 03:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,128,339 times

Advertisements

Speaking about decks, Ani, I think you've given me a good idea. It's time for some serious deck time! It's going to be a gorgeous day and I feel like doing nothing much but soaking it all in. Just got back from doing my circuit and that's enough activity for today. For some reason I am sore sore SORE, even though I just did my usual route. Funny how some days I feel energized after my circuit and other days not so much.

Think I'll just spend the day outside, snoozing, drinking lemonade and reading. I'm reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I highly recommend it. Light summer reading--but also thought provoking. It's about illusionists and other circus acts. There's a mystery and a romance, but the part I find most interesting is the descriptions of some of the more unusual circus acts that evolve over the year and some intriguing ideas on illusion. I'm reading it for my book club, but may have to look for other books by this author. She has a very thought-provoking style of writing.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:32 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Nursing home? School? Library? Friends? Neighbors?

Yes, your prices probably didn't even cover the price of the pots . . . but I know when I go to a yard sale, I expect pennies on the dollar. I have gotten a lot of my pots for my plants at yard sales.

I am sorry to hear about the funeral - never an easy situation.
My sis and I both went to a funeral in the morning and then on to a memorial lunch for someone else - a girl we grew up with in our original neighborhood. (That is another post in and of itself.) Since my sister loves house plants (she actually has too many, which imo is in poor taste), I decided just before leaving my house for hers to load up my back seat with the plants from the tag sale after I abruptly closed it down. She was thrilled to receive these and so I know they got a good home, and best of all I didn't have to bring those dear plants back inside my house. But she was waiting for me with a heavvvvvvvvy little marble topped table she had from our mother's house. She thought I was still having the yard sale so she had her hubby load it into the back seat of my car. I am not having a sale ever again but I drove home with something 10 x as heavy as the plants. I just can't win at this downsizing effort.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Sitting on a deck on a beautiful day--ahhhhh! Now this is what retirement is for. Don't care how long you were out there, it's not my idea of wasting time.

I've always thought how odd it is when I drive around town and see all these homes with decks and condo buildings with balconies--and nobody is sitting out on them. Why is that? When you go to other countries, you see people constantly out on their decks. (Of course, maybe here in the US people prefer private decks hidden from view in the backyards, not the ones that someone driving by would see.)
YES!!!! In Europe, people take advantage of even those tiny balcony set ups. I had always been "big" on sitting out on a deck or balcony, but after spending time in Europe, I wanted a balcony outside my bedroom (knock out double windows). However, this was a construction/structural nightmare to do . . . so I gave up on that idea (at the Charlotte house). Instead, I knocked out windows at the mountain house and built a deck there. It is a small space! Just enough for a bistro set. So thrilled w/ this arrangement.

If we do get another house/condo (smaller) . . . hubby and I are in complete agreement about two things: a balcony or sitting area outside our bedroom and an elevator if in a condo that is not on ground level.

One reason I fell in love with Paris - the windows that open and allow one to walk out onto a balcony. I wonder why we don't (commonly) have those windows here? Easy to clean, too.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Speaking about decks, Ani, I think you've given me a good idea. It's time for some serious deck time! It's going to be a gorgeous day and I feel like doing nothing much but soaking it all in. Just got back from doing my circuit and that's enough activity for today. For some reason I am sore sore SORE, even though I just did my usual route. Funny how some days I feel energized after my circuit and other days not so much.

Think I'll just spend the day outside, snoozing, drinking lemonade and reading. I'm reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I highly recommend it. Light summer reading--but also thought provoking. It's about illusionists and other circus acts. There's a mystery and a romance, but the part I find most interesting is the descriptions of some of the more unusual circus acts that evolve over the year and some intriguing ideas on illusion. I'm reading it for my book club, but may have to look for other books by this author. She has a very thought-provoking style of writing.
I will have to download that book, Caladium. Really appreciate a recommendation. I am reading a light piece by Nicholas Sparks. I thought it may help inspire me to keep writing - to read something easy/breezy and note the construction. It has helped somewhat - if only to encourage me that so many of these novels don't have complex plots! I feel timid about the process, b/c having read so much "great literature" . . . I feel incompetent knowing D. H. Lawrence's works, etc, lololol. I feel like an upstart and that I must be insane to try to write something folks would read when true giants of the literary world have already written it all - and so much better than I!!!!

This is what too many years of reading/writing literary critiques does to one's writing style and confidence.

Anyway, to get back to the topic . . . yes! I hope you have a lovely day simply enjoying being outside. I am going to be doing the same thing! Have a great afternoon!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My sis and I both went to a funeral in the morning and then on to a memorial lunch for someone else - a girl we grew up with in our original neighborhood. (That is another post in and of itself.) Since my sister loves house plants (she actually has too many, which imo is in poor taste), I decided just before leaving my house for hers to load up my back seat with the plants from the tag sale after I abruptly closed it down. She was thrilled to receive these and so I know they got a good home, and best of all I didn't have to bring those dear plants back inside my house. But she was waiting for me with a heavvvvvvvvy little marble topped table she had from our mother's house. She thought I was still having the yard sale so she had her hubby load it into the back seat of my car. I am not having a sale ever again but I drove home with something 10 x as heavy as the plants. I just can't win at this downsizing effort.
No, you are not making progress on the downsizing!!!! But it does sound like a lovely piece!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I hope you have a lovely day simply enjoying being outside. I am going to be doing the same thing! Have a great afternoon!
It's been great! I've been out here all morning, listening to birds, watching people jog down the street, and just enjoying a lovely morning.

It's nice to have a down day every once in while. I've been into checking items off the bucket list and doing all our favorite local things before we move, and it's great to have such a busy, fun filled scheduled. Well, most of the time it's great. Sometimes, though, I thnk it's even better to take a day off from fun fun fun.

It's always good to remember that we're also allowed to do nothing all day if that's what we want to do.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
It's been great! I've been out here all morning, listening to birds, watching people jog down the street, and just enjoying a lovely morning.

It's nice to have a down day every once in while. I've been into checking items off the bucket list and doing all our favorite local things before we move, and it's great to have such a busy, fun filled scheduled. Well, most of the time it's great. Sometimes, though, I thnk it's even better to take a day off from fun fun fun.

It's always good to remember that we're also allowed to do nothing all day if that's what we want to do.
For me, it's the work ethic thing. "Idle hands, idle mind" . . . "every day, in every way, better and better." I feel I must be doing something productive, even if the productive thing is taking photos, sweeping off decks and windows, etc. Ugggh. Trying to change that mindset. The only passive activity I can engage in without feeling a sense of guilt is reading (well, meditation, too, but that is not actually passive - that is an activity). Anyway, I am working on stopping the script in my head that demands every waking hour PRODUCES something.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:21 AM

When my mom retired, she used to regularly remind herself of the same thing by saying "We were created to be human BE-ings, not human DO-ings." Hmmm.... migt be a good saying to take up myself.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:34 AM

20,129 posts, read 20,246,972 times
Quote:
For me, it's the work ethic thing. "Idle hands, idle mind" . . . "every day, in every way, better and better." I feel I must be doing something productive, even if the productive thing is taking photos, sweeping off decks and windows, etc. Ugggh. Trying to change that mindset. The only passive activity I can engage in without feeling a sense of guilt is reading (well, meditation, too, but that is not actually passive - that is an activity). Anyway, I am working on stopping the script in my head that demands every waking hour PRODUCES something.
If you figure out how to accomplish that, please share.
Although memorizing this one may help
""We were created to be human BE-ings, not human DO-ings."

So far, I have tried to appease the 'gotta be productive' feeling by determining to accomplish one 'project'
a day...a project being a one-off something outside the usual day to day.
And it doesn't really matter if it's not some major undertaking.
Then I can say "There...that's done" and feel like I've earned the right to pick up a book

Old 08-25-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If you figure out how to accomplish that, please share.
Although memorizing this one may help
""We were created to be human BE-ings, not human DO-ings."

So far, I have tried to appease the 'gotta be productive' feeling by determining to accomplish one 'project'
a day...a project being a one-off something outside the usual day to day.
And it doesn't really matter if it's not some major undertaking.
Then I can say "There...that's done" and feel like I've earned the right to pick up a book
YES! Love your approach!

I somewhat appeased the "production gods" last summer by having a daily goal of clearing 30 volunteer saplings on my land per day. These were little volunteer trees that had sprung up over several years in a "cleared" area. Most were not bigger around than 2 fingers. I would go meet my goal and then sit on the deck, survey my progress, and feel I could "allow" myself some reading time - accompanied by that cup of coffee or sometimes, a nice glass of wine.

One project a day would definitely assure that things got tackled around this place. And you are right - no reason to have this daunting list and feel daily I didn't do "enough." One thing a day is 30 projects a month. Sounds darn productive to me!!!

Thank you for sharing that, Old_Cold. I am a human BE-ING!!! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement