U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-31-2013, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656

Advertisements

This is how I’ve been using them for 5 years and will probably continue to use them, whenever it feels natural for me to do so. Others will use them in their own way. I've never stopped to ponder them at any rate. Maybe I'll go a month without any.

= friendly wink meant to convey goodwill – ‘please don’t take this as a personal criticism’
or 'I disagree with you but am not putting you down' or ‘this is amusing to me’

= ‘have a nice day (ha)' or I’m writing you off’ (I never use this one)

= ‘you lose on this argument’ or ‘touché’ or ‘you sure blew it with DW’ etc

= ‘crazy, isn’t it’ or ‘life is weird’ or 'nothing makes sense' or 'whatever'

= ‘yeah, right, if you say so’

= horror – ‘oh no’ ‘eek’ ‘egads’

 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:43 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Reputation: 42872
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Uh oh. Sometimes I use the wink when I'm being snarky, but otherwise the wink is friendly. On a related topic (heheh, don't forget I have ADHD) I can't wink and I can't whistle. I have hypermobility so I can do some rather weird stuff, but I can't wink or whistle. What's up with that?!
Well, that's a bummer. How's a gal supposed to get a sailor if you can't wink or whistle?
 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:48 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Reputation: 42872
Hypermobility is sort of like being double jointed, right? What an interesting condition to have, lenora. (I think, don't know much about it but it sounds interesting.) Is it painful? One of those quirky things that can be amusing or is it more of an annoyance? It sounds like something that could come in handy at times. My best friend has trigger fingers and as a result never learned how to snap her fingers. All she has to do is close her hand with a flick to make the same snapping sound, so she never learned another way. She gets a kick out of it, and says it's like having built in castanets.

Last edited by Caladium; 09-01-2013 at 04:08 AM..
 
Old 09-01-2013, 12:02 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This is how I’ve been using them for 5 years and will probably continue to use them, whenever it feels natural for me to do so. Others will use them in their own way. I've never stopped to ponder them at any rate. Maybe I'll go a month without any.

= friendly wink meant to convey goodwill – ‘please don’t take this as a personal criticism’
or 'I disagree with you but am not putting you down' or ‘this is amusing to me’

= ‘have a nice day (ha)' or I’m writing you off’ (I never use this one)

= ‘you lose on this argument’ or ‘touché’ or ‘you sure blew it with DW’ etc

= ‘crazy, isn’t it’ or ‘life is weird’ or 'nothing makes sense' or 'whatever'

= ‘yeah, right, if you say so’

= horror – ‘oh no’ ‘eek’ ‘egads’
Well . . . maybe I better quit using emoticons, as I do on occasion throw one in, b/c several of your perceived meanings are definitely different than mine.

I use when I am sharing a good chuckle. I would never use it the way you have noted. So I wonder if folks read it the way I mean it now!

-- hmmmm, thinking about that
-- hee hee hee
-- frustrated! difficult situation, not an easy answer . . . or . . . SMH, I give up.
-- quizzical or dubious, as in HUH?
-- "just between us"
 
Old 09-01-2013, 12:36 PM
 
Location: East Coast
2,907 posts, read 4,630,434 times
Reputation: 4330
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well . . . maybe I better quit using emoticons, as I do on occasion throw one in, b/c several of your perceived meanings are definitely different than mine.

I use when I am sharing a good chuckle. I would never use it the way you have noted. So I wonder if folks read it the way I mean it now!

-- hmmmm, thinking about that
-- hee hee hee
-- frustrated! difficult situation, not an easy answer . . . or . . . SMH, I give up.
-- quizzical or dubious, as in HUH?
-- "just between us"
I would use them in exactly the same way. <smiling in agreement>
 
Old 09-01-2013, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well . . . maybe I better quit using emoticons, as I do on occasion throw one in, b/c several of your perceived meanings are definitely different than mine.

I use when I am sharing a good chuckle. I would never use it the way you have noted. So I wonder if folks read it the way I mean it now!

-- hmmmm, thinking about that
-- hee hee hee
-- frustrated! difficult situation, not an easy answer . . . or . . . SMH, I give up.
-- quizzical or dubious, as in HUH?
-- "just between us"
Ditto
 
Old 09-01-2013, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Reputation: 42872
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

-- hmmmm, thinking about that
-- hee hee hee
-- frustrated! difficult situation, not an easy answer . . . or . . . SMH, I give up.
-- quizzical or dubious, as in HUH?
-- "just between us"
I'm with you, Ani. That seems like the list I saw years ago when I was first learning about the internet. Maybe we read the same guide. (or, in other words, hee hee hee). The only one I have different is , which I noted above--but I like your definition better so maybe I'll switch over to that one.

And I recall once reading that could also be used to say "nyah nyah nyah" since it has a tongue sticking out--but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone use it that way. Usually people just post "nyah nyah nyah".

The one I've never felt comfortable using is . Are you supposed to use it if you think you just said something cool? Or if the other guy said something cool? Somehow neither of those uses seem quite right.

This is the first time I've ever heard a negative interpretation of . Usually I see people use it to show they're happy about something, or as libra girl put it "smiling in agreement."

This is kind of a fun topic! Who knew there'd be uch a difference in how these little guys get interpreted?
 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Ditto
I'm sticking with how I use them.
 
Old 09-01-2013, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Prospect, KY
5,284 posts, read 18,074,335 times
Reputation: 6550
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well . . . maybe I better quit using emoticons, as I do on occasion throw one in, b/c several of your perceived meanings are definitely different than mine.

I use when I am sharing a good chuckle. I would never use it the way you have noted. So I wonder if folks read it the way I mean it now!

-- hmmmm, thinking about that
-- hee hee hee
-- frustrated! difficult situation, not an easy answer . . . or . . . SMH, I give up.
-- quizzical or dubious, as in HUH?
-- "just between us"
Sign me up for these too.....the hee hee one is my fav ......nice teeth on that one
 
Old 09-01-2013, 04:28 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm with you, Ani. That seems like the list I saw years ago when I was first learning about the internet. Maybe we read the same guide. (or, in other words, hee hee hee). The only one I have different is , which I noted above--but I like your definition better so maybe I'll switch over to that one.

And I recall once reading that could also be used to say "nyah nyah nyah" since it has a tongue sticking out--but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone use it that way. Usually people just post "nyah nyah nyah".

The one I've never felt comfortable using is . Are you supposed to use it if you think you just said something cool? Or if the other guy said something cool? Somehow neither of those uses seem quite right.

This is the first time I've ever heard a negative interpretation of . Usually I see people use it to show they're happy about something, or as libra girl put it "smiling in agreement."

This is kind of a fun topic! Who knew there'd be uch a difference in how these little guys get interpreted?
My son is the one who introduced me to emoticons and so the interpretations I heard were his and his friends! The "cool" emoticon -- I use it for simply affirming that something said or shared (like a video) was hip/cool or that I thought it was "cool" that the person shared it.

I hope the majority of folks understand emoticons as I do, b/c I would hate to think I had used them so many times and sent the wrong message!

The one that can be most "iffy" for me is . It can be taken as a sarcastic "whatever" or as a shrug, as in - who the heck knows. I have seen it used at times that I really felt the writer may have not understood what "rolling eyes" means b/c they obviously were not meaning to "brush the other person off." So I do wonder if that one means different things to different folks.

I usually use when I am being silly and nonsensical, and it often is used in a self-deprecating way. To me, yes, it is nyah nyah nyah.

Emoticons can help w/ the "tone" of what we are writing wh/ is why I would think they even came into existence. Sometimes it is really hard to tell when folks are being humorous or teasing and the emoticons can help.

One we never mix up is and I have hardly ever seen it used! The few times, it was in regard to something bad happening to someone, like a flood in their laundry room. And no one mixes this one up:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top