U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 10:55 AM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
They were good! We have figs-a-mundo right now, since all our trees are loaded and we're trying to pick what we can before the birds and deer get to 'em. So she cut up a whole bowl of figs and put them in the pancakes. Would never have thought of pumpkin and fig as a combo, but they were really good. I'll have to try that again.
Won't be long now until we're carving jack o' lanterns That's supposed to be crying.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:21 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Won't be long now until we're carving jack o' lanterns That's supposed to be crying.
You can take a trip west and carve the pumpkins with me, we're actually growing them this year. The kids and I always loved doing this, and one of them won a prize one year. Pumpkins are big biz out this way.

I'm putting away summer clothes this week, cleaning out more files, organizing my writing (once again), having artwork scanned to put on CD, and watching others do a cleanup of my yard.

My second-floor room (two rooms made into one big one) is finally done and I have a studio once again. Progress is sometimes made. [smiley face, not the yellow one.]

Old 09-02-2013, 12:56 PM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

I'm putting away summer clothes this week,
I don't like that pessimistic attitude missy!
Except for a few days here and there, I hardly feel we have had summer yet.
Except for the grass....the GD rain loving evergrowing GDamn grass!

Old 09-02-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I don't like that pessimistic attitude missy!
Except for a few days here and there, I hardly feel we have had summer yet.
Except for the grass....the GD rain loving evergrowing GDamn grass!
And away they go. In these parts you don't where white or pastels after Labor Day. I saved out darker color T-shirts (3) and a pair of shorts. Now I have to drag down the fall and winter stuff, but fortunately it's less and less every year. I'm really good at paring down clothing. Soon I will only have a year-round wardrobe with layering of lighter stuff in winter. Remember Heidi?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:09 PM

This is one very cool 64-year-old lady.

Diana Nyad completes historic Cuba-to-Florida swim - CNN.com

photos: www.cbsnews.com/2300-201_162-10018057.html

Old 09-02-2013, 03:36 PM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Quote:
And away they go. In these parts you don't where white or pastels after Labor Day. I saved out darker color T-shirts (3) and a pair of shorts. Now I have to drag down the fall and winter stuff, but fortunately it's less and less every year. I'm really good at paring down clothing. Soon I will only have a year-round wardrobe with layering of lighter stuff in winter. Remember Heidi?
All this talk about downsizing houses but, you know, there's one benefit of having all these empty bedrooms....being able to use all the closets! No packing the seasonal stuff away .
That prompts a big one of these.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
All this talk about downsizing houses but, you know, there's one benefit of having all these empty bedrooms....being able to use all the closets! No packing the seasonal stuff away .
That prompts a big one of these.
Too much stuff gives me panic attacks. I'm happier with a minimum amount of everything esp clothing. My sister is always giving me bags of hardly used fashion items I would never wear, so I have to give away her stuff too. Her latest is a little marble top table that it would take two hefty people to lift. I paid her back by brining her half a dozen plants. It seems l can never get a handle on this downsizing thing.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I wore something white on purpose the other day knowing that after Labor Day it would be illegal to do so. (Let's see. Is that a )

Trouble is, we can't put it all away at once because there will be Indian Summer and we'll need those shorts again. I'm donating some clothing and getting ready to store summer stuff in those low boxes on wheels that you can just slide under the bed. I'm not getting things out of the cedar chest just yet though. It's IN BETWEEN TIME.

In winter I'm getting better at wearing a lightweight top and a wool or cashmere cardigan. Like a uniform. All winter long. No more pull on over your head sweaters, sick of that.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:33 PM

It was so muggy here today and then we got a robo call that the town will be spraying for mosquitoes so--close all the windows. This happens every year at this time now. West Nile Virus in mosquitoes.

One thing about winter coming------------I cannot WAIT to wear my new down parka. I got it brand new for about $200 less on ebay. I LOVE IT. (and oh, how I do love a bargain!)

Old 09-03-2013, 05:19 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It was so muggy here today and then we got a robo call that the town will be spraying for mosquitoes so--close all the windows. This happens every year at this time now. West Nile Virus in mosquitoes.

One thing about winter coming------------I cannot WAIT to wear my new down parka. I got it brand new for about $200 less on ebay. I LOVE IT. (and oh, how I do love a bargain!)
I got a down parka last winter - love it - also on sale. Actually, I love winter clothes best so this means a 4 season climate is a must.

But, but, but, not ready for winter for while yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement