Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

We've had "terrorists" in the skies over Las Vegas for the past 2-3 weeks now: clouds! If you only knew what wimps we are here when it comes to humidity, when our bodies are conditioned to humidity levels as low as 3%, the driest big city in the country with our measly 4 inches of rain a year!

I'm ready to get my gun out and start shooting at the clouds! Make them go away!

I made the mistake, last night, of getting on Trulia.com to check the real estate prices in Tucson, which I hadn't checked in over a year, which is where I'm retiring next year. What happened? The townhouses I was looking at a year ago have jumped $20-40k, and the townhouse prices in my complex have only inched up towards $60k. Now what!!! Look for an alternative?

Yes, the western side of Tucson is still affordable, but I'd need to really brush up on my Spanish to buy a place over there and buy a better gun?

Ah well! It wouldn't be all that painful to stick it out in here in the "Detroit of the West" another year or 2!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
FIGS - yum yum yum!

CATTNAP: TY for sharing your appetizer how-to . . . can't wait to try this!

TJefferson is my favorite historical figure so that was a neat factoid you shared.

AZDesertBrat: the quote/unquote thing is very interesting . . . I am now rather fascinated w/ why your mom started this. A dear friend of mine started this parenthetical thing she does w/ her hands - you know - making little quote marks in the air with two fingers of each hand. Now, I have certainly done that myself on rare occasion, but it has become habitual w/ my friends. Why she started doing this out of the clear blue - no clue!!! Hearing about someone else's use of a similar type "additive" in conversation makes me wonder what would spur something like that.
I've done that too. When I'm actually quoting something but not often. I have no idea why/when my mom started doing this. I just think it's pretty funny and wonder what other people think about it when she says it. Her friends love her to death and probably just blow it off but I bet they wonder too! lol I think I'll ask Mom next time I see her. I wonder if she even realizes she's saying it.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:16 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
On the subject of ageism...very interesting...my SO has been in a rehab center, they don't listen to him at all. However, when I was there, they definitely listened to me...and things changed...just like that.

If you are a patient, you really need someone there, who makes sure that you get the care that is appropriate for you, and things managed correctly.

Rehabilitation centers are so CYA now, that it is hardly even rehabilitation...It seems to me that over regulation has not necessarily been a good thing for healthcare.

On a different issue, I am practically paralyzed and overwhelmed right now by cleaning out forty years of stuff in a house. The dumpster comes tomorrow. It holds six tons.

Six tons.

Last edited by jasper12; 09-05-2013 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 09-05-2013, 02:40 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Default Update from Ani~~~

Just wondering if Ani has an update on her shoulder? Sounds terribly painful.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 PM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
On the subject of ageism...very interesting...my SO has been in a rehab center, they don't listen to him at all. However, when I was there, they definitely listened to me...and things changed...just like that.

If you are a patient, you really need someone there, who makes sure that you get the care that is appropriate for you, and things managed correctly.

Rehabilitation centers are so CYA now, that it is hardly even rehabilitation...It seems to me that over regulation has not necessarily been a good thing for healthcare.

On a different issue, I am practically paralyzed and overwhelmed right now by cleaning out forty years of stuff in a house. The dumpster comes tomorrow. It holds six tons.

Six tons.
whatcha gonna do with the rest of it?

I totally agree with you on the over regulation of health care.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:

Six tons.
I can relate, though I have nowhere near as much stuff as you.

DP came home to find me on the upstairs rug, nearly passed out. He didn't check my pulse and I lifted my head to yell at him for not doing that. I always said I'd die in the house and he wouldn't check on me tlll 3 days after, at least. What was I doing? I was getting rid of six heavy bags of clothes - including (I'm in shock) ALL our winter wool sweaters, prize possessions for living in the North. I am so done with washing and air-drying pullover sweaters. We are going in for the layered look, Nike-type zip-ups that dry in minutes. Then, another half dozen bags of corduroy and wool pants. Too heavy, too labor-intensive. Wool blankets put in the bags too, to be replaced by lightweight down comforters.

Backpacks? Heavy luggage? All in the giveaway. I kept two carry-on's and 1 backpack.

I also (over the summer) got rid of all those ugly plastic tubs and now store stuff in nice covered baskets that someone will someday want to keep.

I have boxes more papers to shred. The shredder let out a shriek today and died.

That danged marble top table my sister pawned off on me, which is in two pieces and weights two tons, is going bye with miscellaneous unneeded furniture.

This is hard work but will leave the heavy lifting to others. I want everything to be lightweight now. I am now casting an eye on his office and he tells me to stay out. Waaay too much stuff in there.

I wonder how lightweight lawn furniture would look in my l.r.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:14 PM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Terrific!

I have honestly been considering getting some wicker and using it in my living room. Maybe paint it a darkish color so it doesn't look too summery. Corduroy cushions for winter, chintz for summer.

No interior decorator will ever set foot in my house!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:15 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I can relate, though I have nowhere near as much stuff as you.

DP came home to find me on the upstairs rug, nearly passed out. He didn't check my pulse and I lifted my head to yell at him for not doing that. I always said I'd die in the house and he wouldn't check on me tlll 3 days after, at least. What was I doing? I was getting rid of six heavy bags of clothes - including (I'm in shock) ALL our winter wool sweaters, prize possessions for living in the North. I am so done with washing and air-drying pullover sweaters. We are going in for the layered look, Nike-type zip-ups that dry in minutes. Then, another half dozen bags of corduroy and wool pants. Too heavy, too labor-intensive. Wool blankets put in the bags too, to be replaced by lightweight down comforters.

Shame - blasphemy

Backpacks? Heavy luggage? All in the giveaway. I kept two carry-on's and 1 backpack.

I also (over the summer) got rid of all those ugly plastic tubs and now store stuff in nice covered baskets that someone will someday want to keep. I have many of these - really helps if things are stored where there could be humidity or BUGS.

I have boxes more papers to shred. The shredder let out a shriek today and died.

That danged marble top table my sister pawned off on me, which is in two pieces and weights two tons, is going bye with miscellaneous unneeded furniture.

This is hard work but will leave the heavy lifting to others. I want everything to be lightweight now. I am now casting an eye on his office and he tells me to stay out. Waaay too much stuff in there. I'm with him - STAY OUT!

I wonder how lightweight lawn furniture would look in my l.r.

If you ever come to my house and get that gleam in your eye it's you that will get the heave ho

Old 09-05-2013, 06:51 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:

Six tons.
Remember the days when we could pack everything we owned into our car? Amazing to think that after college I packed up the car, drove off to my first job in Texas, and didn't even bother to get an apartment until after I got there. I simply drove into town, got the paper, and found a great apartment before the day was done. How things have changed!

Old 09-05-2013, 11:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Well, it is not my stuff, I have already downsized into what will fit in my cubby at the nursing home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement