Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times

Advertisements

Can y'all see this? Copied from IE but also have in Firefox. Help! For some reason the highlighted links in red will not show on the cut and paste. And yes, after reading the initial replies I double checked. If I start having visual hallucinations, it's time for me to call it a day. Don't worry NEG, your google ads periodically change. Seriously, I have to skim past the damn ads before I see your post/reply.

06-12-2012, 07:16 AM
newenglandgirl

5,982 posts, read 3,013,179 times

[LEFT]Ads by Google

Download Google Chrome - A free browser that lets you do more of what you like on the web - [SIZE=-1]www.google.com/chrome [/SIZE]

Senior Communities WI - Amenities Beyond Compare! Beautiful & Affordable - [SIZE=-1]www.highlandscommunities.com [/SIZE]

U.S. Census Records - Search the U.S. census collection 1790-1930. Find millions of names. - [SIZE=-1]Ancestry.com/Census [/SIZE]
[/LEFT]

The ads are actually much larger and more obnoxious looking than I'm seeing on the "preview post."

Old 06-15-2012, 12:18 PM

I think I figured it out. Note the ads are google. I have several gmail accounts, both business & professional. Naturally, gmail is run by google. I'm used to seeing some ads on other internet sites but this is taking it too far. Goodbye GMail, etc.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Am I missing something? Where are you seeing these ads? I don't see them.

Time for a rest in the country, Lenora. When are you heading to NH? It is unbelievably gorgeous up here in New England right now. Today is a 12 (on a scale of 1 to 10).

I'm supposed to be heading up to NH after the 4th of July. I decided I should wait until after my father has his annual picnic. I'm trying not to think about it because I will need to figure out how I am going to drive 8+ hours with two small crazy mutts. Tranquilizers for the dogs or for me?

Old 06-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Don't see ads, either.
But I'm on Firefox with NoScript installed.
Just went to IE without NoScript, and there are ads all over the place.
Wow.
Yea for Gandalara! I installed NoScript and the ads are gone! Hooray! I think this calls for a glass of wine, Cheers.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Yea for Gandalara! I installed NoScript and the ads are gone! Hooray! I think this calls for a glass of wine, Cheers.
Why do you think c-d has this website? Do you enjoy it? Is it wrong that it should be a viable business? If they decided that they could only continue it on a fee basis how much would you be willing to pay? Right now the advertisers are paying. How long will they pay if they see that it's not a worthwhile venue?

Do you fell "entitled"? If so, why?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Yea Gandalara!!!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Why do you think c-d has this website? Do you enjoy it? Is it wrong that it should be a viable business? If they decided that they could only continue it on a fee basis how much would you be willing to pay? Right now the advertisers are paying. How long will they pay if they see that it's not a worthwhile venue?

Do you fell "entitled"? If so, why?
Gosh, I dunno. I was kind of feeling special since I was one of the few getting ads. Are you feeling less special? If the ads are that important, perhaps you should consider asking Gandalara how you can enable the ads so you can show your support for CD. Seriously, I've always had ads showing up on CD. They were placed at the top or the bottom of each page. The problem I encountered was when, for some unknown reason, the ads were embedded in someone's post or placed between each reply. To add insult to injury, the links were a bright red. It made it very difficult to 1) read a post and 2) progress through the thread as if it were a conversation.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I would go mad if I had to deal with ads such as you described, Lenora. The ads show up at the "usual" places on my browser thus far, but glad you all explained what to do if something changes.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Been wondering about why I am getting these adds for movers etc.

I have apple and am on firefox

So when my millineal age daughter comes back, I will ask her to clear the cache or something technology related.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
I think I figured it out. Note the ads are google. I have several gmail accounts, both business & professional. Naturally, gmail is run by google. I'm used to seeing some ads on other internet sites but this is taking it too far. Goodbye GMail, etc.
I see the same ads and I don't have a gmail account. They've always been there, far as I remember. I just got used to them and never even notice anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement