Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,020,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Ani, I feel the same emotional attachment to furniture. There's just something about it, dishes too. And kitchenware. Dh has just refinished my mom's old Art Deco cedar chest that I almost didn't take after she passed away.

So glad I did take it because now it gleams and the inlay looks nice. It used to look like a piece of junk. Then there's the little cedar chest that my mom's father made (I never knew him) but that is going to my niece someday, all agreed upon. Then there's my OWN cedar chest. Yes, I have three.

It is freezing here today. In a nearby town at the beach there is a movie being made today!! Denzle Washington. Dh has gone already to have a look--last night they built a huge ferris wheel next to the beach. I'm not into movies but who can resist out of curiosity?
I love to decorate so I naturally love furniture, art, accessories....I adore mahogany antique furniture and beautiful old dishes, silver....I am careful to not overdo it though.....I am not ready to downsize to a closet - maybe some day....but for now I enjoy our "stuff."

Old 09-06-2013, 07:04 PM

26,650 posts, read 28,568,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
YES! Dishes, too! I collect china. Sets of it, lol. And I have NO CONTROL. I just bought another tea set last week! And for my birthday, hubby got me a set of adorable majolica salad plates . . . and earlier this summer, I bought 4 strawberry plates (they look like strawberries, lol). I cannot help myself!! I should be downsizing and I am still acquiring. Love to entertain and so . . . my tableware is part of that . . .

Cedar chests are wonderful! I store linen in mine. I am so glad you decided to take that piece - and restore it. It is a very useful item.

You must check out the movie set! Take photos! It sounds so interesting!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Oh the dishes! Now that is exciting. Nothing wrong with it if you're really using it. I used to love Wedgwood and still have too much. And Blue Willow. Oh, and a certain Chintz pattern. And brown transferware. And............it could go on forever. I don't know many people around here so I never get to use any of it.

I did get over to the movie set this afternoon and there was Denzel Washington. I made sure I had my camera and made sure I put new batteries in it. And then it did not work when I went to take a picture of him. Oh well. I saw it all anyway. You have a nice weekend too.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:27 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,374,576 times
Going to a fish fry on Sunday. It's going to be ungodly hot again this weekend.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Going to a fish fry on Sunday. It's going to be ungodly hot again this weekend.
Where are you that it's hot? Where I am it's fall and it pretty chilly, blankets on the bed. I think I'd like it to be warm for a little bit longer but not hot.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:30 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,940,891 times
Quote:
Where are you that it's hot? Where I am it's fall and it pretty chilly, blankets on the bed. I think I'd like it to be warm for a little bit longer but not hot.
We're both up at five a.m., lol. I never awake this early. I woke up under a flannel quilt and could use another one. Feels like fall is coming early this year, I can imagine the wood stove on whereas just a week or two ago it was summer. Then again we usually get an "Indian Summer" (autumn heat wave) after a cold snap. Wonder where that name comes from. Looking it up.... here it is...
Indian summer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Welsh, it is known as Haf Bach Mihangel or (St.) Michael's Little Summer.

In France, the phrase l'été indien (indian summer) is widely used, although the expression l'été de la Saint-Martin (Saint Martin's Summer) is also used.

In Italy, St Martin's summer, Estate di San Martino, is expected and celebrated as a rural tradition with ancient origins and is marked by a festival on November 11.

In Spain, an unseasonable spell of warm weather in autumn is called Veranillo de San Miguel or Veranillo de San Martín, depending when it occurs. It can also be called Veranillo del Membrillo (little summer of the quince).

In many Slavic-speaking countries, the season is called Old Ladies' Summer (LOL)

Old 09-07-2013, 03:46 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,020,277 times
Love it newenglandgirl!

I'm up too as sleep eludes me most of the time. It is cold in the morning now - my husband put his new down vest on to get the paper....but the days are quite warm - the humidity perfection - if it could only stay like this. I brought an extra blanket to bed last night bud didn't needed it - wore long P.J's and turned the ceiling fan down. I woke at 2 and downloaded some sleep apps, put my ear buds in and slept for 2 hours...so I guess I'm up now. We are going to a blue grass festival at one of our favorite nurseries/sculpture gardens - here is a link - fun place. Newsletter

Old 09-07-2013, 06:26 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,001,593 times
Quote:
It was 93F and very humid here yesterday and today it will be the low 90s -hot hot hot. It did cool down last night and had to pull out the blankets in the middle of the night - crazy. Right now it's a bit chilly but will heat up fast - this is fall in MN.

OK - off to Home Depot My life has been soooooo exciting lately.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,020,579 times
Bike riding through Gettysburg turned out to be a lot more interesting than I would have guessed. What a pretty place to ride--and how nice to ride where there isn't much through traffic speeding by. Just tourists slowly driving around looking at monuments, and lots of backroads with no traffic at all. The roads are smooth, there's plenty of shade and rolling hills (but not steep hills), the views are spectacular from a few spots, and there all sorts of interesting monuments to look at.

We saw lots of people from the town out jogging or simply taking a walk. For them, this is a local park. Which made me take a second look at the town of Gettysburg as a potential retirement town. Someone like LoveAutumn might really like this town. Now, just to be fair, I don't know too much about things like what hospitals are nearby or what the taxes are like. But the town was much more interesting that I expected it to be. Quaint, but with some hip little businesses (possibly due to having a college). We saw a lot of residents out and about, and the people we saw were fit, healthy, and appeared to be happy. It's a very small town--might be too small for a lot of people--but Frederick is about 20 minutes away, so you could easily get to a larger city. Beautiful scenery, and I saw quite a few retirees there working (or maybe volunteering) for the national park.

I could see someone like LoveAutumn enjoying life there.

Last edited by Caladium; 09-07-2013 at 06:46 AM..

Old 09-07-2013, 06:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,020,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh my. This sounds like SOOOO much work! How are you managing? Do be careful -- you don't want to mess up your back.

I think you can rightfully skip the gym!!!
I second this! Jasper, hope you're taking regular breaks and that you're almost done. Sounds like one of those thing you have to get through, but what a PITA.

We've been slowly moving furniture and boxes down to the new house, so I have a lot of sympathy for you. And we're lucky to have months to complete this move, so we can do it a little bit at a time. It's rough to have to do it all in one trip like you are. Be careful, and be sure to reward yourself big time when this is all through.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
We're both up at five a.m., lol. I never awake this early. I woke up under a flannel quilt and could use another one. Feels like fall is coming early this year, I can imagine the wood stove on whereas just a week or two ago it was summer. Then again we usually get an "Indian Summer" (autumn heat wave) after a cold snap. Wonder where that name comes from. Looking it up.... here it is...
Indian summer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Welsh, it is known as Haf Bach Mihangel or (St.) Michael's Little Summer.

In France, the phrase l'été indien (indian summer) is widely used, although the expression l'été de la Saint-Martin (Saint Martin's Summer) is also used.

In Italy, St Martin's summer, Estate di San Martino, is expected and celebrated as a rural tradition with ancient origins and is marked by a festival on November 11.

In Spain, an unseasonable spell of warm weather in autumn is called Veranillo de San Miguel or Veranillo de San Martín, depending when it occurs. It can also be called Veranillo del Membrillo (little summer of the quince).

In many Slavic-speaking countries, the season is called Old Ladies' Summer (LOL)
^^^^I love this kind of stuff. Once when I looked up the meaning of Indian Summer the definition was PC--guess they've censored that out now but back then it said Indian Summer was a fake, deceptive summer. Named after deceptive Indians, that some other countries copied the name. I seek the truth on this so will do some research.

Newenglandgirl, we were both up at 5:00 maybe because that was when it turned absolutely frigid in NE. I got up to get the down comforter out. Can't believe it so soon. Good thing we New Englanders know enough never to really put the winter stuff away in summer and the summer stuff away in winter. Keeps us on our toes.

Maybe that heat in the midwest you people are suffering though will meander out here. Send us some if you get sick of it, okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.