U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,068,342 times

Advertisements

Umbria you are very funny! I needed a laugh this morning - ty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:21 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,609,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Great pic! I had you as a brunette - funny how we put a picture in our minds of people and reality is quite different.

Shucks - missed the wooly worm festival (hate bugs) - I have heard the saying about them predicting the winter weather.

We have a cooler day (80s) today before we get hit with another 98F tomorrow I shouldn't complain.

My dogs started barking and I looked out just as my neighbor was stealing my newspaper Ole squeaker is too cheap to buy his own - this is when I wish I had a megaphone and could blast out "STOP! Put that paper down Mr Squeaky" - scare the H out of him.
NO! Your neighbor didn't!

Will he sneak it back and pretend you just didn't find it earlier? GET THAT MEGAPHONE!!!!!

Yes, I am a redhead and w/ the help of L'Oreal - much redder than nature endowed, lololol.

It is like Fall here in the mountains! Leaves are starting to fall. I have a bit of heat on just to take the chill out of the air and eliminate some humidity.

We simply didn't have a summer here. We had a short spring, then a monsoon, a couple weeks of summer in August . . . and now, the beginnings of Fall. I love the weather right now, but dread thinking about the winter. The Farmer's Almanac is predicting a cold winter here.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:23 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,609,304 times
JASPER: how are you holding up? I hope you are enjoying some relaxation today.

Just wanted you to know . . . thinking of you and hoping the day is going well.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:59 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
NO! Your neighbor didn't!

Will he sneak it back and pretend you just didn't find it earlier? GET THAT MEGAPHONE!!!!!

Yes ~ He~ did And it's not the first time. I have a plan~~~~I'm going to wait and watch next Sun and when he creeps over (my dogs are great at alerting me) I'm going to fly out the front door screaming like a banshee - like some crazy woman - think that will cure him? I'm already laughing in anticipation. I think it bothers me more because these people have oodles of $$ and she has told me repeatedly "We have a Cadillac AND a Lexus" <as she frowns at my Honda & Mazda>. (And what else do you steal besides newspapers??????)

OK - enough of the missing newspaper caper - alas, it is something I look forward to on Sunday

Ani - do you think WNC will get a lot of snow this winter - wondering because of all the rain this summer if that pattern will continue?

Last edited by Umbria; 09-08-2013 at 10:45 AM..

Old 09-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Just a note~~remember the story I told of the woman that lives in the neighborhood that apparently was a hoarder and had mountains of stuff in her front yard when they were attempting to move her out?

It took 4 weeks to clear it all out and there's still piles leaning against the side of the house.
The main route to get out of the neighborhood goes by her house and twice now she has been sitting in her car in front of the house - just sitting there. Kind of sad. This is where she raised 3 boys and they stopped coming many years ago, my guess is due to the condition of her house.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Quote:
Nothing like a wool sweater when it gets cold. You should have grabbed the whole bag back.

I have this vision of walking into your house and it's completely empty with you sitting in a lawn chair in your skivvies - "Look! I downsized!"
It's coming to that. In the DMI (directory mental illness), I have the opposite of hoarder (obsessive-compulsive spartanism). I do hoard bed linens and towels, but in general "stuff" and bric-a-brac makes me break out in a rash. I loved the minimalist painters (Rothko, Stella, etc) as there's nothing extraneous on the canvas. I love Danish modern. My house is not that sleek, yet. DP doesn't care as long as I stay out of his territory.

I inherited this problem from my dad, who was always giving away things when my mother was out of the house, and chopping down trees and vines from the yard. I never went into any of the kids' or hubby's rooms, however, never crossed their thresholds, other than to glance in and advise a cleanup (command, with the kids).

The other reason I have this is that we have moved halfway cross the country twice, once with all the kids, and had to get rid of and pack so much stuff. Then I "inherited" the cleanout when MIL moved to CA (she was a real hoarder, with hundreds of undated cans and jars of food and clothing back to the 1930s in the basement).

Then .... my sister and I had to clean out 55 years worth of heavy stuff (that couch weighed at least 200 lb) from our mother's house when we gently but firmly forced her to move out of her house at age 90. Lots of dishware, bakeware, and bric-a-brac though, and hardback books that weren't read in 50 years and a cellar full of tools and lawn furniture. Then, when she died, it fell to me and DP to singlehandedly clear out the little house she moved to. AND we've moved several times since being back in New England. So...I am an expert on household "stuff efficiency." I was young then and didn't have a mobility problem.

The house has our framed artwork (semi-abstract), lots of plants and books, so no, it's not a barren place!

Those (in general) who tend to hang on to so much stuff are able to because they (generally) stayed in one place most of their lives and/or never had to move someone else. Of course there as such things as professional movers, but being frugal newenglanders, we have so far done this ourselves (though I will never lift again, unless it's spiritual levitation).

Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,118,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We have black bears here, but there is a very specific way we predict weather here . . . wooly worms! Yes, we even have a festival!

Here's an article I wrote about wooly worms for my "old" blog b/f I migrated it to wordpress.org platform.

A Winterís Tale

And here is info about the Wooly Worm Festival:

Woolly Worm Festival

PS> All the talk about photos in another thread . . . mine should show up if you scroll down the page . . . that is my current FB photo, actually, lol.
Love the photo, Ani. You are a truly beautiful woman. Our Wooly Bears are the same thing as your Wooly Worms. Don't know how they came to be called "bears" up in my neck of the woods, since these little weather predicting caterpillars are smaller than my middle finger. The festival sounds like a hoot! I might just have to drive down and check it out. I've driven to Asheville from here--is Banner Elk that much further?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Umbria...you made me laugh out loud
Neg...if we were having Umbria's temperatures right now you probably would have let them go easily instead of wanting to wear one today
It's been wonderfully cool here all week and cold at night. If it were high temps I would've let the wool sweaters go and thrown in the heavy wool coat too. Maybe my down quilt could double as a down coat (?)

Old 09-08-2013, 10:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,118,688 times
Quote:

OK - enough of the missing newspaper caper - alas, it is something I look forward to on Sunday
LOL, and I'm kinda looking forward to next Sunday. Can't wait to hear how this turns out.

In the meantime, if you want a spare newspaper, stop by my house. The fox delivered 6 of them today. The neighbors usually stop by to retrieve them but there's always one or two that go unclaimed. It's yours if you want it!

Old 09-08-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, and I'm kinda looking forward to next Sunday. Can't wait to hear how this turns out.

In the meantime, if you want a spare newspaper, stop by my house. The fox delivered 6 of them today. The neighbors usually stop by to retrieve them but there's always one or two that go unclaimed. It's yours if you want it!
This is the best story - that darn fox I bet your neighbors are somewhere on the internet right now telling about this neighbor (you) that trained a fox to steal their newspaper. It would be fun to somehow set up a camera to record the little thief. I think the fox needs therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement