U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 12:32 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,074,335 times

Advertisements

The fox story....too funny...who knew a fox could do such a thing? We see a fox once in a while...in the meadow behind our house. He is shy and furtive and as far as I know, has no tendencies to swipe anything.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
We see him carrying them around like a dog carries it's chew toy, so maybe it's the same sort of instinct. What puzzles me is why he drops them on the drive way instead of taking them to his den (which is about 50 or so feet from where he drops them). When I come back from my circuit, I pick the papers up and put them in a stack to the side of the drive. He probably sees me doing this, but he never comes back for them after that point.

Wouldn't it be interesting to read an animal's brain and see what on earth he's thinking and what he thinks everything means?

Nature is funny--our fox is kind of squirrelly, and the squirrels tend to be rather foxy.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I have been painting the inside of a closet - yep, inside a closet, and I swear the walls eat the paint. I just finished coat #2 and the paint dries super fast and it never looks "right" (I almost hate using the " marks). Same paint used on the BR walls - no problem there. I am done - it is a closet.
Sounds like the inside of the closet was never painted with primer. Try a coat of primer, then a coat of paint on top of that.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
I have been painting the inside of a closet - yep, inside a closet, and I swear the walls eat the paint. I just finished coat #2 and the paint dries super fast and it never looks "right" (I almost hate using the " marks). Same paint used on the BR walls - no problem there. I am done - it is a closet.
Are you painting oil over latex? Or, latex over oil?

I agree with Oddstray.

Don't asphyxiate yourself in that closet.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Are you painting oil over latex? Or, latex over oil?

I agree with Oddstray.

Don't asphyxiate yourself in that closet.

latex over latex. Even if there was never primer used, a previous coat(s) of paint (this house was built in 1960) should have closed the "pores". I just noticed 2 spots where the previous crčam color shows through - this is after 2 coats of paint. The wall is eating the paint.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:35 AM

LOL, sounds like the beginning of a horror movie.

Who knows, maybe it will turn out there was an ancient curse on the house and now paint sucking ghosts live in your closet walls.....

Old 09-09-2013, 10:41 AM

Don't know the answer to the paint sucking walls, but if you need to buy more paint you might want to consider the Oops Paint they sell at Home Depot. They usually have a few gallons of some light tint of beige that was mixed up for a customer and then never sold for some reason. Granted, you get whatever color they goofed on, but OTOH it's a closet, so does it really matter? A lot of tones would probably work as long as it's light and you avoid anything greyish. And they usually sell it for under $5/gallon, just to get rid of it.

Bummer to have to repaint a closet, though. Closets always seem to have a lot more surface to paint than you'd think.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
latex over latex. Even if there was never primer used, a previous coat(s) of paint (this house was built in 1960) should have closed the "pores". I just noticed 2 spots where the previous crčam color shows through - this is after 2 coats of paint. The wall is eating the paint.
I was advised that the paints that contain primer can cause the problem you're experiencing. One professional painter said to keep the primer and paint separate.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I was advised that the paints that contain primer can cause the problem you're experiencing. One professional painter said to keep the primer and paint separate.
Good info (I am not using this). I saw these after I bought several cans of primer thinking I should have just bought the combo. I'm priming the frequently used rooms and then painting - this is taking FOREVER. I did not prime this room (small BR turned sewing room & misc.)

Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Don't know the answer to the paint sucking walls, but if you need to buy more paint you might want to consider the Oops Paint they sell at Home Depot. They usually have a few gallons of some light tint of beige that was mixed up for a customer and then never sold for some reason. Granted, you get whatever color they goofed on, but OTOH it's a closet, so does it really matter? A lot of tones would probably work as long as it's light and you avoid anything greyish. And they usually sell it for under $5/gallon, just to get rid of it.

Bummer to have to repaint a closet, though. Closets always seem to have a lot more surface to paint than you'd think.
Good to know. I have a couple gallons of "oops" paint that I bought at one point and then decided on another color thinking I could use the oops paint elsewhere (LL storage room). Then the paint gets old and I don't know if it's any good anymore.

When I'm done with this house I will never pick up another paint brush (I'm sure I will).

I shampooed the carpet there this a.m. so when it's dry and all the stuff is moved back in (oops - NEG - I really don't have a lot of stuff) I will shut the door - forevah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement