U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 11:14 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times

Advertisements

Thought I would check in so you don't think I really did jump out the window I appreciate all your responses - sometimes I feel so sure of this move and other times - . This is why I will store my things and take my sweat time checking out many different areas. I should have been doing just that these past years but for a long time I was shell shocked when the market tanked that I focused on salvaging that as much as possible.

I'm also a strong believer that many a corner was cut when this recession hit and unfortunately, you can't see behind the walls. I don't think houses built today are going to hold up like the houses built in much earlier years. I fear that strong work ethic may have faded away a while ago.

Yes, mold will be even more of a problem with all the rain this summer. And bugs I have such a phobia with bugs.

Looks like rain may finally make here - we really need it.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:38 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
There is a LOT I could say about western NC, Asheville, Waynesville, Maggie Valley . . . and areas in between and around . . . on over to Boone and Blowing Rock . . . just too much to get into here and w/ my shoulder/arm hurting.

What I will say at this point is: I have a love/hate relationship with Asheville. It totally depends where I am in the area, what time of day, and who I am with as to how I feel about Asheville and surrounding areas. I have family who settled in that region -- and are considered one of the "pioneer" families by the local historical society. So I know the area well (Buncombe as well as surrounding counties).

I am much happier, by far, in the Boone area. The vibe is entirely different.

Again, it is an individual thing . . . totally depends what you are expecting and what you are looking for (and where, exactly, you are spending your time) as to how the Asheville area will "feel."

I spent some time at a friend's home high on a mountain with a pristine view of Asheville below (twinkling lights at night! romantic!) - very private, 11 acres and a guest house - and during a beautiful snowfall . . . had that been my only experience in Asheville, I would be describing it as heaven on earth.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 PM

Ani - Your poor shoulder!! Hope it feels better - that really limits what you can do.

Let me hear exactly how you feel about Asheville - don't bother censoring anything. This is an important move and I want to know all I can. This vibe difference - can you give more info about that?

Old 09-10-2013, 05:56 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
This is why I will store my things and take my sweat time checking out many different areas.
Visit the South in the fall, winter or spring or it will be "sweat time," lol.

The only time in my life I nearly passed out from heat was in Greenville, SC. Good lord, get me into a.c.

Last edited by RiverBird; 09-10-2013 at 06:09 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Visit the South in the fall, winter or spring or it will be "sweat time," lol.

The only time in my life I nearly passed out from heat was in Greenville, SC. Good lord, get me into a.c.
This is why the mtns sound so good. We had 95F with 85% humidity yesterday - horrible.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:08 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Default A bit of stolen humor from another C-D forum

Wish I could say I made this up myself, but I didn't:

"She should buy a dog, name it Clue, then she'd have one."

Of course somebody else couldn't resist adding, "And if the dog ran away, she would be Clue-less!"

Old 09-10-2013, 08:14 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,100 times
Quote:
This is why the mtns sound so good. We had 95F with 85% humidity yesterday - horrible.
It was 99 here yesterday in NE Nebraska.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Quote:
Thought I would check in so you don't think I really did jump out the window
Phew! Defenestration is never a good thing.

(Although I'm not sure you're genuinely defenestrated if you jump... hmmm, something to ponder...)

On a completely different note, is anyone doing anything to note that it's September 11th today? The fire department here is hosting a flag disposal ceremony. My crew is hosting, so I guess I'll check it out. Never been to one of these ceremonies before.

I get it--the idea is to respect and honor the flag--but at the same time it seems an odd choice. I don't feel quite right burning flags today. But, who knows it could turn out very differently than I'm imagining right now.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
For me, visiting NC all three times in summer, there was a definite difference in temp and "feel" between eastern NC (humid) and WNC (in the hills, cooler and the air not so stagnant). I have no idea about other seasons there. Many may adjust to the southern summer heat just fine; I would have to live in a mountainous area to survive. I hate air conditioning though I had to resort to using my central air for a four-day stretch this past summer. Even then I had to open the windows at night to let in real air. Living in a.c. full-time in summer, no way. The tradeoff is living with a heater for 5 mos in winter. Anyway, whenever I went to scope out a place in VA or NC I deliberately went in July.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Phew! Defenestration is never a good thing.

(Although I'm not sure you're genuinely defenestrated if you jump... hmmm, something to ponder...)

On a completely different note, is anyone doing anything to note that it's September 11th today? The fire department here is hosting a flag disposal ceremony. My crew is hosting, so I guess I'll check it out. Never been to one of these ceremonies before.

I get it--the idea is to respect and honor the flag--but at the same time it seems an odd choice. I don't feel quite right burning flags today. But, who knows it could turn out very differently than I'm imagining right now.
I didn't think burning an Am flag was ever OK. Have not heard of any special plans for today but then I keep focusing on that window () and haven't watched much TV.

My buddy Roger the Handyman is coming to recaulk the outside windows - the fun just keeps on coming. My next stop - a yurt

I was sitting here and caught a whiff of a foul order - it's my dog Wonder what he got into - did I say the fun just keeps on coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement