U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 05:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,128,339 times

Advertisements

Sounds like city-data had some problems yesterday. Some people said they were online when it happened and got sent to a page mocking city dater users, so I guess it was hacking.

Yesterday was a very sad day for us. We know quite a few people at the Navy Yard, so as you can imagine we were calling friends and sending out messages to make sure everyone we knew was ok. Very creepy to move away and then have something like this happen on your old stomping grounds.

Sadly, I found out I did indeed know one victim. I didn't know him well, but he was a familiar face I'd see every time I went over there. Man, you see these types of stories on the news but it's still a shock when you discover you know someone that was affected--even if it's just someone you used to say hello to, not someone you knew well.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 AM

20,317 posts, read 19,304,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Sounds like city-data had some problems yesterday. Some people said they were online when it happened and got sent to a page mocking city dater users, so I guess it was hacking.

Yesterday was a very sad day for us. We know quite a few people at the Navy Yard, so as you can imagine we were calling friends and sending out messages to make sure everyone we knew was ok. Very creepy to move away and then have something like this happen on your old stomping grounds.

Sadly, I found out I did indeed know one victim. I didn't know him well, but he was a familiar face I'd see every time I went over there. Man, you see these types of stories on the news but it's still a shock when you discover you know someone that was affected--even if it's just someone you used to say hello to, not someone you knew well.
No, yesterday was not a good day for that reason. For me it was that Newtown CT shooting of children because I have a cousin who lived there for years. Thank goodness her kids are now grown and they have moved away or they would have been among those children. It's different when it hits home.

It was strange having CD down yesterday and it does sound like hacking. There seems to be so much hatred in this country lately. (Yeh, I'm a cheerful one today.)

Old 09-17-2013, 07:05 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Just back from heaven (Popham Beach and Reid State Park beach) in perfect weather Even on the final day in light rain it was wonderful, such clean sweet salty air.
Attached Thumbnails
Chat Thread-b350366ab320376670626300eb5df81027b6d65e.jpeg  

Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,472,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just back from heaven (Popham Beach and Reid State Park beach) in perfect weather Even on the final day in light rain it was wonderful, such clean sweet salty air.

Fun! Just where are these beaches? Did you run around in your bikini?

Old 09-17-2013, 09:42 AM

16,597 posts, read 10,549,444 times
Quote:
and you didn't take me? How rude!

Glad the weather co-operated.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Ahhhhh, I feel refreshed just looking at your photo. Looks like a heavenly place, indeed.

You know, Neg, you and earlyretirement are absolutely right. Beach photos are what we need today--the best tonic for the sadness that was yesterday. So here are two from me. Your photo convinced me to put aside the unpacking and head over to Jamestown Beach. It's a small beach--usually I go to Yorktown Beach but I'm still learning the area, and besides, today I wanted something cozy. So although not as magnificent as where you were, it was peaceful to just sit there, looking for dolphins and listening to the water lapping the sand.

As long as I was there today, I tried a little tai chi. I feel a little weird doing it in front of other people, but it was kind of liberating, too. The funniest thing was my husband saw this bird watching me. Then the bird started doing a few leg movements himself. I stood on one leg, and then he stood on one leg. Never made the connection before, but I wonder if a lot of tai chi came from watching shore birds?

Our "surf" is much gentler here along the river, but we're close enough to where it meets the ocean that we still have the salty sea air and sometimes I've seen dolphins. Works for me.

This bird watched me doing tai chi and then started doing some similar movements himself!

Old 09-17-2013, 01:18 PM

20,317 posts, read 19,304,785 times
Neg was in MAINE! Sounds like she's got her dilemma back: Move to paradise/coast of Maine or stay where she is close to twin grandbabies.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:01 PM

30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Quote:
Sounds awesome

Old 09-17-2013, 04:10 PM

30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Default Beach

Chat Thread-image.jpg

Old 09-17-2013, 04:36 PM

Oh Tuborg, that's my favorite beach yet! Can I come visit? That sand looks so smooth and soft. I can just see myself plopping down to build a sand castle. Or maybe running in and out of the surf!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement