U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 05:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Locked myself in the bathroom this morning. Door knob broke. Fortunately found a screw driver in bathroom.
After a "certain age" I think we should carry a cell phone in our pocket at all times. I was once accidentally locked in a basement and that incident taught me a great lesson. I don't even go out in the backyard without my cell. One day the slider to my deck would not open and let me back in. It was winter and I had on no jacket, just went out to air a rug. TG I had the cell to get rescued.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:44 PM

5,284 posts, read 18,074,335 times
I don't wear clothing with many pockets and even if I have a pocket, my cell is big - too big for any pockets I might have....I often miss calls to my cell when I am home because I will carry it from room to room with me but dash to another room or up the stairs for something leaving it behind, and of course that is when someone calls. Too heavy to carry around my neck....men just stick it in their back pant's pocket or shirt pocket....I am pretty much experiencing a pocket deficit.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I don't wear clothing with many pockets and even if I have a pocket, my cell is big - too big for any pockets I might have....I often miss calls to my cell when I am home because I will carry it from room to room with me but dash to another room or up the stairs for something leaving it behind, and of course that is when someone calls. Too heavy to carry around my neck....men just stick it in their back pant's pocket or shirt pocket....I am pretty much experiencing a pocket deficit.
I will only wear pants or a sweater/jacket with pockets. The way I'm losing things these days I figure it's best to keep the cell, my eyeglasses, and keys on my body. I often hook my keys to a belt loop. Even then I sometimes can't find them, lol.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I will only wear pants or a sweater/jacket with pockets. The way I'm losing things these days I figure it's best to keep the cell, my eyeglasses, and keys on my body. I often hook my keys to a belt loop. Even then I sometimes can't find them, lol.
Maybe I need a small backpack

Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 PM

18,852 posts, read 32,041,543 times
This is my friends house, he had a heart attack, and since he was out of the way for a bit, I decided to clean his house out. It needed it, and so I did it. I was afraid if he needed a hospital bed, walker, and wheelchair, or home health aids, it would not work...

He is depressed about it all. But, knows it is for the best. He can't keep up his big house...this was a long time coming.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:50 PM

What a good friend you are Jasper!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:07 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I have a small tool pouch thing that I wear around my waist these days to hold my glasses, that screwdriver, pliers, wall plate and screws and all other misc. things I deal with on a daily basis. I spent a lot of time one day searching for the heating vent screws - I removed all of the vent covers in the entire house to wash and then paint and when it was time to start putting the vent covers back on - no screws (). Lesson learned. My keys stay on a hook by the door - for a fast get away

I also have a small "fanny" pack that stays well hidden under my clothes that holds things when I'm not dealing with house projects.

NEG - You'll be happy to hear that as I have been painting closets I am discarding a great many things.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Jasper, that's so nice of you to do that for your friend. Sad but realistic situation.

Keys. I keep meaning to hide a spare key out in back of the house. I got locked out once in 1968 and once two years ago while we were moving in here and my newly made key didn't work!!!!!!! Twice is two times too much.

But one time I hid a key out and it snowed and froze over it. I couldn't dig with my hands in the frozen snow so I couldn't get the key. I think that time I waded through the snow around to the back door and got in that way. I might not be so lucky next time. hmmmm. Where to hide the spare key and not have it lying two feet down under the snow. I can easily get to the back door here so that's where to hide it. Somewhere near the back door.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

NEG - You'll be happy to hear that as I have been painting closets I am discarding a great many things.
Take your cell into your closets in case you get locked in.
Attached Thumbnails
Chat Thread-vector-cartoon-woman-using-power-drill  

Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Too funny. I like your reaction to your neighbor...some would not be so nice.....makes you wonder what is going through the man's mind.
Well, we are friendly on a distant sort of basis. He and his wife were stand-offish when we first moved here, but I was persistent and we wave back and forth and every so often, have a "catch up" conversation about family, trips, etc.

I think it is more or less a matter of expediency on my neighbor's part. He and his wife are my age, so not like they are elderly and therefore should have an allowance made for their tossing the tree limbs and blowing the leaves on my side of the line, lol.

I have said things in the past - such as - I can't believe how many limbs seem to fall out of my trees - I can't even see where they were once attached - it is weird. And then I cut all of the trees out of that strip except 3 (they were too close, several were volunteers - more or less from neglect from the previous owner who WAS elderly). So we all stood out there and discussed how much more appealing the area looked w/o all the cramped trees . . . and I very pointedly said - "that should take care of all the random limbs we seem to get around those trees after a storm." But nope.

I took a photo to show my son b/c honestly - it has become a joke. I got up to take the dog out (early) and saw this big limb squarely in neighbor's yard, took a photo w/ my iPhone, quietly went on about my business and by 10 am or so - when I ventured back out again . . . the limb had been dragged onto my property! lolololol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement