U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 04:29 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Oh no. That's the sort of thing I would do. Example: one time I lived in an apartment building with a laundry room in the basement. We all kept our soap powder and other laundry materials down there. It seemed that my box of Cheer was always empty! I wouldn't be able to do my laundry without going and buying a new box!

So I got determined to discover who was using my soap powder. Result: I bought a box of blue Rit dye and poured it into a new box of Cheer. (which, if you remember, was BLUE.)

Results came in the next day when I could hear the loud mouthed idiot downstairs hollering about his bright blue underwear. They were in the wrong, I had some fun with it, and from then on they bought their own laundry soap.
HA HA HA HA! That was sheer genius!!!

That's good enough for a scene in a play!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:34 AM

[quote=Umbria;31517816]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, at this stage, it ain't worth it. They had told us 5 or so years ago they would be selling their house, so we thought - oh well - end of the situations . . . but they didn't put the house on the market. I spoke with them last Fall and they are still talking about selling the house "soon."

We will be putting the house up for sale in the next few years. I am sure they are fully aware we know what they have been doing all these years . . . they just don't care. Their dogs (3 pitbulls, if you can believe it) bark incessantly (outside all day long) and for the first few years, we kept asking them to please do something to quieten the dogs, as hubby's office is right next to the furor. They never did; they never will.

I did come up with a solution to curb the dogs. Those dogs see me coming and they shut the heck up immediately and run. So at least we don't have the dog barking problem any longer.[/quote]

Inquiring minds want to know what you did

MY neighbor - the one that occasionally steals my Sunday paper - has taken great joy in letting his leaves pilé up until late Nov . The wind blows in my direction so by Nov 3/4 of his leaves are all over the neighborhood and especially my yard. They usually leave for FL late Sept and one year I was out raking and as they were leaving for the winter he stopped his car and said: "Don't work too hard (grin)" - I looked at his yard and it was loaded with leaves and he said "The wind will take care of mine (grin)" and he drove away. He knows what he's doing and he enjoys it - it's a major win for him. On a couple occasions his wife would make comments to the effect that some people will continue to be annoying just to test how long you'll take it. I didn't connect the dots at the time but did later. I think she was telling me that if I didn't confront him, he would continue. I also had the opinion that I would rather avoid a neighbor feud and was always so glad they were leaving that I rake most of them and then blow the rest up close to his house where they wouldn't blow back to mine.

Then ~ one year I was planning a trip to CO to visit an old boss. I had to delay the trip 1 week because my trees were still full of leaves and I didn't want to do what the jerk did. When I left my trees were bare and my yard was cleaned up. When I returned 1 1/2 weeks later, my yard was covered and there were leaves 2' high in front of my garage door. I was royally pissed. Not only was I tired from driving from Co but I had the first auto accident since I was 19. A semi was passing me, hit a deer and somehow threw it into my car. The poor deer bounced off my car back into the semi and then back into my car. This was 1 hr. from home. So, when I drove into my driveway and saw those leaves I saw red. I went in the garage - got the blower and started blowing all those leaves into his yard. He ran outside "What do you think you're doing!!?" "What you should have been doing and this is what you have to look forward to until you start cleaning up your yard". I stared him down - he ran in the house. I kept blowing until all those leaves were back where they belonged. Neighbor feud be dam+++

He now hires someone to come earlier than late Nov but it's still a problem. We have to bag leaves in these recyclable bags - not cheap. His son from Philly was there and while I was outside he stood there looking at me with this grin. I asked if he needed something and he said "I think my dad is afraid of you". We both laughed. That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time.
LOL!!! You go, Umbria! LOVE this story! You were totally justified - especially since he had made such a point of being a jerk about leaving town - and the leaves for you to deal with!

My ex was this same type of guy, but I tried to intervene to make sure his attitude didn't end up pissing off everyone around us but it typically ended with his causing a big drama with me (for paying folks to do what he should have done but wouldn't).

Sounds like your neighbor's wife and son were pleased you got one up with the guy.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:01 AM

OH! My solution with the dogs. I read to take a spray bottle (has to be one that is powerful - has steady spray) and mix 1/2 water and 1/2 ammonia and spray it at the dogs when they charge. These pitbulls had managed to get out of their fencing two times and attack me and my dog in our own yard and with my dog on leash (she is never off leash).

We so much as step out onto our decks, and those dog charge to the fence, which is very "open" - with space between boards. The dogs even grab hold of the wood slats and CHEW them, they get into such a fury!

So I decided to consistently walk outside, and when they charged to the fence, I yelled "NO" in a loud deep voice and then commanded "GET BACK." And as I did that, I approached the fence, spray bottle in hand and when they do not respond, I sprayed them, continuing to say GET BACK. Every time they ran away, I would say STAY.

Doggie psychologists tell us that a dog has to consistently hear the same command ten out of ten times during training. If you are inconsistent - 8 out of 10 or 9 out of 10 - they will "unlearn" the expected behavior. So day after day, sometimes several times a day, I would go outside, spray bottle in hand, and do this same routine over and over.

It took nearly a month, but now, all I have to do is walk outside and yell GET BACK and they get quiet and move away from the fence.

If they weren't pitbulls (well, two are only part pit; the full-blooded pit is the ring leader and the most aggressive) I think just using a spraybottle of water would have worked, but after having them attack us 2 x the year we moved in (they had chewed their way out of the fence gate both times) . . . I decided to go w/ ammonia and water right off the bat. With dogs that aggressive, I figured water in the face would mean absolutely nothing.

PS> I check the neighbor's gate regularly to make sure those beasts are secure. I don't relish another attack. My dog was bitten by them one time, and they bit through my shoes (well, boots) but thank god their owners were in the front yard at their cars and called them off . . . the second time I had a pair of garden shears inches from me, thank god, and knocked the daylights out of one and kicked the other so high, he squealed on the way back to the ground, turned and ran home. Next go round - who knows? My dog is nearly 11 years old, half blind and a cancer patient. I hope those dogs know I mean business.

Oh - and it has helped that my son brings his German Mastiff around . . . he is bigger than a Great Dane and sounds like a hellhound when he barks. He charges the fence when the pits are out and they are scared of him. All he has to do is walk out on the deck and they get very quiet, lol. He is a love bug and harmless but those dogs don't know that.

Last edited by brokensky; 09-23-2013 at 05:10 AM..

Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,072,910 times
Anifan....this is great stuff......you are ready for a reality show I think....you have all the makings of a true heroine.....your neighbors have got to be some of the worst....have they tapped into your water or cable yet?!

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-23-2013 at 06:02 AM..

Old 09-23-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Anifan....this is great stuff......you are ready for a reality show I think....you have all the makings of a true heroine.....your neighbors have got to be some of the worst....have they tapped into your water or cable yet?!

Hee Hee. Well, actually they are nice folks. Just odd. They are not friendly with anyone in the entire neighborhood. In fact, when we moved in, one by one the other neighbors made some type of assertion about the "unfriendly folks" that we live next door to - and how they had never spoken to anyone the entire time they had lived in that house, and that their dogs were annoying and had scared several people after breaking out of their fence (and thus, Animal Control had been called and that had also caused hard feelings) . . . etc etc.

I made it a point to go meet them and they were curt, but I decided - life is too short - so I was persistent. I even sent my son over to clear off their driveway when we had a big storm that first winter . . . and the neighbor was dumbfounded and became much more friendly (waving) after that.

They are just odd folks, I guess. They have horses on a farm somewhere and their daughter spent every weekend at horse shows while growing up-- she is quite the equestrienne. Now, daughter is in college and studying to be a vet, so they are home more often on weekends, but rarely entertain -- seems they go visit with family who live nearby and socialize at their house. So they just aren't around much.

I continue to invite them to our home every time we have a BBQ or a holiday get together. They have never come -- they basically aren't home most weekends. Although they have invited me in to see various renovations -- and although they will accept a beer while we are all standing around outside -- they have never come into my house all these years! We have certainly said - come on in and visit a while -- but they always decline. Their home interior is immaculate and beautifully decorated and well appointed.

They are not unfriendly to us (or hostile) . . . they just aren't involved with anything in the neighborhood.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,472,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
OH! My solution with the dogs. I read to take a spray bottle (has to be one that is powerful - has steady spray) and mix 1/2 water and 1/2 ammonia and spray it at the dogs when they charge. These pitbulls had managed to get out of their fencing two times and attack me and my dog in our own yard and with my dog on leash (she is never off leash).

We so much as step out onto our decks, and those dog charge to the fence, which is very "open" - with space between boards. The dogs even grab hold of the wood slats and CHEW them, they get into such a fury!

It took nearly a month, but now, all I have to do is walk outside and yell GET BACK and they get quiet and move away from the fence.

If they weren't pitbulls (well, two are only part pit; the full-blooded pit is the ring leader and the most aggressive) I think just using a spraybottle of water would have worked, but after having them attack us 2 x the year we moved in (they had chewed their way out of the fence gate both times) . . . I decided to go w/ ammonia and water right off the bat. With dogs that aggressive, I figured water in the face would mean absolutely nothing.

PS> I check the neighbor's gate regularly to make sure those beasts are secure. I don't relish another attack. My dog was bitten by them one time, and they bit through my shoes (well, boots) but thank god their owners were in the front yard at their cars and called them off . . . the second time I had a pair of garden shears inches from me, thank god, and knocked the daylights out of one and kicked the other so high, he squealed on the way back to the ground, turned and ran home. Next go round - who knows? My dog is nearly 11 years old, half blind and a cancer patient. I hope those dogs know I mean business.

Oh - and it has helped that my son brings his German Mastiff around . . . he is bigger than a Great Dane and sounds like a hellhound when he barks. He charges the fence when the pits are out and they are scared of him. All he has to do is walk out on the deck and they get very quiet, lol. He is a love bug and harmless but those dogs don't know that.
Smart girl! I also would have been concerned about those dogs and you handled it beautifully. Wonder why the owners never bothered to do the same - they could be in for some serious liability. Your actions could save your dog's life one day - and you some serious damage. When they are in groups like that the fury can get out of control.

How's your dog with the cancer and are you doing anything special for treatment? I hear this so much now - it makes you wonder if dogs are getting cancer more often or if it was just never diagnosed.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,472,596 times
[quote=anifani821;31518890]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

LOL!!! You go, Umbria! LOVE this story! You were totally justified - especially since he had made such a point of being a jerk about leaving town - and the leaves for you to deal with!

My ex was this same type of guy, but I tried to intervene to make sure his attitude didn't end up pissing off everyone around us but it typically ended with his causing a big drama with me (for paying folks to do what he should have done but wouldn't).

Sounds like your neighbor's wife and son were pleased you got one up with the guy.
This guy is a bully - I've seen him do it to his wife many times and he tried to do it to bully me ONCE. We had 90 MPH straight line winds come through here that caused many trees and other damage. Somehow many of the neighbors ended up in my back yard and as he was looking at my damage (a tree came down - ripped off the electrical connections & broke a basement window) I mentioned that I was glad to have ins to pay for this mess (he is an Ins agent). He tried to start an argument that insurance would not cover the tree removal because the tree would have had to cause damage to the house for that to happen (open your eyes dummy, what do you think did all that damage). He actually walked up to me and tried the in your face intimidation. I let him know that I had talked to my agent and yes, they will pay and aren't I glad I didn't have him for an agent.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:22 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
yikes......I love being a quarter mile away from my neighbors......they are wonderful, though, so it matters not.

The bad doggies sound scary. I admire your courage.

Years ago when the neighbors up the road moved in I awoke one Saturday morning to a clop clop sound on the road in front of the house. I didn't get up until I heard it again going the other way. Peeked through the window to see new neighbors enormous draft horses trucking up the road. They must have smelled our guys because when I got dressed and out they had walked up the back road to our barn. It was really funny, like they were dropping by for breakfast! I let them in the back pasture and threw them some hay.

Sure enough, after an hour or two young John knocks at the door wondering if we'd seen a few horses loose. Thus began the great friendship. I will never forget that day it was just too funny.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Oh no. That's the sort of thing I would do. Example: one time I lived in an apartment building with a laundry room in the basement. We all kept our soap powder and other laundry materials down there. It seemed that my box of Cheer was always empty! I wouldn't be able to do my laundry without going and buying a new box!

So I got determined to discover who was using my soap powder. Result: I bought a box of blue Rit dye and poured it into a new box of Cheer. (which, if you remember, was BLUE.)

Results came in the next day when I could hear the loud mouthed idiot downstairs hollering about his bright blue underwear. They were in the wrong, I had some fun with it, and from then on they bought their own laundry soap.
that's the best story ever!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
yikes......I love being a quarter mile away from my neighbors......they are wonderful, though, so it matters not.

The bad doggies sound scary. I admire your courage.

Years ago when the neighbors up the road moved in I awoke one Saturday morning to a clop clop sound on the road in front of the house. I didn't get up until I heard it again going the other way. Peeked through the window to see new neighbors enormous draft horses trucking up the road. They must have smelled our guys because when I got dressed and out they had walked up the back road to our barn. It was really funny, like they were dropping by for breakfast! I let them in the back pasture and threw them some hay.

Sure enough, after an hour or two young John knocks at the door wondering if we'd seen a few horses loose. Thus began the great friendship. I will never forget that day it was just too funny.
Along the way, I received training as a dog obedience trainer (I used to do obedience training w/ my own dogs - I had a kennel and bred shelties). I am not intimidated by dogs overall . . . and feel pretty confident around them . . . so I had been trained many years ago how to fend off a dog attack. Every situation is different, but the main thing to remember when a dog is coming straight for you is to aim for the dog's chest with your knee. This will take the wind out of the dog, and the force of their speeding body against your knee will knock them back. Of course, if you can get a kick in at the end of that process, all the better, lololol. Also, you want to hold your arm in front of your neck so they grab your arm rather than your neck (gruesome thought!).

Just throwing that out there in case any of you are the victims of a dog attack.

Love your horse story! I could see it in my mind - lovely way to meet your neighbors, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement