U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 08:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,166,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I also think about getting in an accident when the weather is freezing - a nice heavy blanket in the back seat isn't a bad idea.
I carry several, with a bag of warm clothes and my emergency equipment. I include the wind-up flashlights as flashlight batteries often go dead when carried around in the car in winter. Don;t forget the nonperishable snacks, water, first aid kit, and rubber boots. And dried pet food if you have a pet. Cell phone charger for the car too.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:33 PM

30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I also think about getting in an accident when the weather is freezing - a nice heavy blanket in the back seat isn't a bad idea.
Always carry one in the winter.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM

14,017 posts, read 17,933,764 times
All this semantic hair-splitting about senior issues as opposed to retirement issues is wasted ink. We might as well talk about how many angels can stand on the head of a pin. This forum has always worked well as home for both senior and retirement issues. So what if some people retired at 40? They can read and post to the financial issues which concern them and ignore the rest. And so what if somebody is still working at 85? That person can read and post to issues relating to age (insofar as it's possible to separate them from retirement) and ignore the rest. And there is a lot of overlap. Social Security can be taken while still working, for example. Medicare kicks in at age 65 and some are still working at that age but many are retiring concurrently for another example. How would we sort those two topics? I'm happy for the moderators that they don't have to.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:03 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,815,947 times
Default My old people rant.

Today, I went into town and, naturally, got behind some old gray-head doing 20 mph in a 40 zone for block after block after block. Traffic was backed up behind him about 10 deep. Later, it was another one going 12 mph in a 35 zone and perpetually hitting his brakes. Finally, he just stopped in the middle of the street and decided to make an un-signaled left turn. After I got clear of him, I found another one, this time a woman, traveling happily along on the 2-lane state highway at the blistering speed of 38 mph, with appropriate slow-downs for the numerous curves.

That's the norm around here as we have a large senior population. It's so bad that I do my business at a small, rural post office in the next state rather than get into that crowd of old folks who clog the streets around the in-town PO. It takes some of them 10 minutes to back out of a parking space (back up and stop, back up and stop) and I got behind a little old lady the other day going up the street at 8 mph....8 MPH! I can walk faster than that! The area around the hospital and doctor's offices are even worse! And the freeway? Forget about it, unless you just WANT to merge into 70 mph traffic at 45!

Let me be clear. I AM an old folk myself (age: 62), but for the love of God, if you're too scared or too blind to maintain AT LEAST the posted speed limit, please stay home.

Surely, there aren't any CDer's among that crowd of street-cloggers, is there?

Last edited by stillkit; 11-03-2011 at 12:15 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 12:16 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,771,093 times
Good luck with that. We have it here in our rural area where our country lanes rise, fall, dip and curve throughout the Ozarks and are two lanes wide - one in each direction. I'm 65 and I can drive throughout them rarely, if ever, having to use the breaks and easily maintain the posted speed limit. But I also know the roads.

Many "senior" drivers are uncertain, afraid of narrow bridges, nervous about the many curves so they tend to go well below the speed limit, drive with one foot on the brake and there's nowhere to pass them, nor do they seem to realize they're slowing down a line of traffic and pull over to let the braver and more experienced of us hill country drivers past.

That being said, I just take it in stride and don't let it bother me. What the heck. I'm retired, I don't have to get anywhere fast, allow extra driving time for the few appointments we may have and simply sit back and enjoy the bounteous scenery. It's not worth getting apoplexy and high blood pressure over.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:22 PM

880 posts, read 1,770,953 times
If it wasn't for old people you would be buying Russian war bonds get a life .We all have one thing in common we all get old.One day that will be you going 20 in a 40 zone.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:24 PM

570 posts, read 1,155,047 times
I've learned to not let it bother me; taking a couple extra minutes to get where I'm going isn't the end of the world. And someday I will be a little old 'gray-hair', too

10,890 posts, read 15,086,293 times
My Father drove like that, well under the speed limit, at age 87.

Last year, I was headed to my Uncle's house. He is age 88. We passed each other right at his driveway. I quickly turned around and tried to catch him. Around the corner was a 4 way stop with a red light. He must have got the green, because I caught the red. It was a short light but he was moving so fast, I lost him.

Here are some things that can be aggravating when done by other drivers.
1. They have a turn signal on, but never turn.
2. They try to enter 60-65 mile per hour traffic, on an interstate highway, when they are only going 40-45. Accident waiting to happen. The smoothest merging, is for you to be going very near the same speed as the traffic flow.
3. People who slow down at a green light.
4. People who won't turn right, on a red light, when the law allows it.

Some of the above is "fear."
If you are afraid of the speed limit, and driving too fearfully, you may be the very one who causes, or is, in a wreck.

This is for drivers, of all ages.

I do see older persons, retired, do drive slower. Some of it can be their not exactly perfect vision. As well as slow reaction times, if they need to stop at faster speeds, etc.

I once got a severe warning on an Interstate because I was going 60 and everyone else was going 70-75. The cop said I was not going fast enough to keep the traffic flow, nice and smooth. I was towing a trailer full of expensive plants and the rear was loaded down and close to the pavement. I avoided a ticket, but he said I was going too slow, but I had a reason. I think most interstates have a minimum of 45mph.

Around town, there is no reason to be "scared" of the posted speed limit.
There's a degree of safety already figured into it.

10,586 posts, read 10,887,781 times
Up this way there have been a lot of serious accidents of late - Mostly old ladies and men being run down in parking lots. The drivers also happen to be very old people - You would think they would put their pride and lust for convienence on hold...Once you start to feel the mind fading as you slowly adjust to leaving this world...You had better hang up the car keys...YES old people are fully aware of ONE thing - that the brain and nervous system start to wither...With that bit of fleeting knowledge the responsible thing to do would be to stop parting in activities that demand skill and concentration...

The odd thing about this phenomena is that these "old people" are the same ones who in their youth were arrogant - proud and self centred...They know that if the brain is scrambbled and they might just hit the gas instead of the break....Knowing does not help much - because they are what they are - young or old - selfish! I am 61 years old and I am taking my chances some days crossing the street - because I realize that my perception is slightly off...as for driving..I believe it would be wise NOT to drive if you sense the senses that day are not 100%.... Old people KNOW when they are dithering...and should act responsibly.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:37 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 15,045,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

Today, I went into town and, naturally, got behind some old gray-head doing 20 mph in a 40 zone for block after block after block. Traffic was backed up behind him about 10 deep. Later, it was another one going 12 mph in a 35 zone and perpetually hitting his brakes. Finally, he just stopped in the middle of the street and decided to make an un-signaled left turn. After I got clear of him, I found another one, this time a woman, traveling happily along on the 2-lane state highway at the blistering speed of 38 mph, with appropriate slow-downs for the numerous curves.

That's the norm around here as we have a large senior population. It's so bad that I do my business at a small, rural post office in the next state rather than get into that crowd of old folks who clog the streets around the in-town PO. It takes some of them 10 minutes to back out of a parking space (back up and stop, back up and stop) and I got behind a little old lady the other day going up the street at 8 mph....8 MPH! I can walk faster than that! The area around the hospital and doctor's offices are even worse! And the freeway? Forget about it, unless you just WANT to merge into 70 mph traffic at 45!

Let me be clear. I AM an old folk myself (age: 62), but for the love of God, if you're too scared or too blind to maintain AT LEAST the posted speed limit, please stay home.

Surely, there aren't any CDer's among that crowd of street-cloggers, is there?
I don't consider myself a street clogger but I do stop at the red light before proceeding when turning right on red. Sometimes the jerks behind me honk because they are A holes.
Other wise I am 68 and drive a 400HP car with a six speed manual trans. I can and do go fast on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement