U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 05:06 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,472,722 times

Advertisements

Originally posted by Umbria

Here I am!!!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 AM

8,155 posts, read 7,738,217 times
You people just aren't chatty enough.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
I'm still here! Good morning, all! I have friends in Colorado - in Boulder and Colorado Springs . . . I know you are all concerned about their situation . . . sending out good thoughts to our friends in those spots on the globe. And Florida got slammed very badly in some spots. I am waiting to hear from friends who had to leave their flooded property.

Hubby is in Charlotte and I am still dealing with repairs at this tiny mountain house. I have been saving up the pennies for two years now to re-do the shake roof, wh/ is a ridiculous proposition. Our HOA will not allow anything but a shake roof, and a tin roof would be so cute on this little round house - plus safer, cheaper to install and to maintain.

This weekend it is going to be warmer than usual up here (heat wave all over the region, it appears) so I am going to powerwash the lower deck . . . very curious how that will go, as there is peeling paint on the railing and I predict it will come off with a good powerwash. Am I being too optimistic? Probably, but we shall see . . .

The longer I spend time by myself here, the more aware I am of how testy hubby gets while here. It is just too small for two people to comfortably live fulltime. We had always intended to add on to the house and retire here, but that seems unlikely at this point. Even adding more living space, wh/ is not inexpensive to accomplish (grade situation on side of mountain) - I just don't know that we would ever be comfortable here. Hubby has mobility issues already and that will only progress.

I love being here and am determined to get the place ship shape and enjoy it . . . I feel irresponsible not making a decision as to whether to hold onto the place or sell it, but hubby said last nite - let's just enjoy it as long as we can and when the time comes, we will be smart enough to know what we need to do.

I sure hope he is right. I have never had a fatalistic attitude about anything in my entire life (neither has he) but we have decided - what will be, will be. This from two folks who have planned out every detail of their lives since college. We thought we would be totally prepared for retirement - have all our ducks in a row - but here we are . . . and we don't! Oh my.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We thought we would be totally prepared for retirement - have all our ducks in a row - but here we are . . . and we don't! Oh my.
You're not the only ones.

I think many of us, myself included, are waiting to hear how the elections will play out and the resultant political issues that will impact seniors/retirees. The housing value thing, too. I've decided to not make any decisions till the New Year (actually, New Year's Eve, my birthday, is when I usually make momentous decisions). It seems right in general to sit tight right now and see how things in the country play out over the next six months. Who knows, we may all be joining Curmudgeon down there in the Ozarks, if he'll consider the influx...

Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 AM

3,759 posts, read 4,274,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You're not the only ones.

I think many of us, myself included, are waiting to hear how the elections will play out and the resultant political issues that will impact seniors/retirees. The housing value thing, too. I've decided to not make any decisions till the New Year (actually, New Year's Eve, my birthday, is when I usually make momentous decisions). It seems right in general to sit tight right now and see how things in the country play out over the next six months. Who knows, we may all be joining Curmudgeon down there in the Ozarks, if he'll consider the influx...
Unless all hell breaks loose and I decide I need to move out of the country, the election results will not influence where and when I decide to move, if ever. I'm certain this economy will continue for at least another 5-10 years, regardless of the election results. I am planning for the worst, but hoping for the best.

But today, I am celebrating what I consider a few days of great news and I have my youngest child by my side to join in the celebration. Best. Day. Ever.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
But today, I am celebrating what I consider a few days of great news and I have my youngest child by my side to join in the celebration. Best. Day. Ever.

Well?????????

Old 06-28-2012, 11:07 AM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I love being here and am determined to get the place ship shape and enjoy it . . . I feel irresponsible not making a decision as to whether to hold onto the place or sell it, but hubby said last nite - let's just enjoy it as long as we can and when the time comes, we will be smart enough to know what we need to do.

I sure hope he is right. I have never had a fatalistic attitude about anything in my entire life (neither has he) but we have decided - what will be, will be. This from two folks who have planned out every detail of their lives since college. We thought we would be totally prepared for retirement - have all our ducks in a row - but here we are . . . and we don't! Oh my.
If it were my house I'd keep it as long as it were practical or as long as you enjoy the house. But I wouldn't spend anything on it except what's necessary as it's virtually impossible to recover that money in a sale.

It's fine to have your ducks in a row; but keep in mind that the vagaries and vicissitudes of life keep adding and subtracting ducks not to mention adding an occasional chicken or sea serpent.

Promoters began to try to sell lots in the Crystal Park area of Colo. Spgs. about 1890. There was nothing for decades and then a housing explosion in time for today's big fire. I consider Colrado Springs a wonderful place and have great memories beginning when I was two years old. The view west from Pikes Peak Avenue as it traverses downtown is the most extraordinary view any city in the world can claim.

This is a history of the city written by really enjoyable writer.

Amazon.com: Newport in the Rockies: The Life & Good Times of Colorado Springs (9780804008990): Marshall Sprague: Books

Here's a history of my favorite railroad. I rode a steam train to the top. Being old does have it's advantages. Put this on your list; do a saved search on ebay. The author truly loved his subject; that makes a very special kind of a book.

http://www.amazon.com/Cog-Railway-Pi...bbot+pikes+pek

Old 06-28-2012, 03:19 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
If it were my house I'd keep it as long as it were practical or as long as you enjoy the house. But I wouldn't spend anything on it except what's necessary as it's virtually impossible to recover that money in a sale.

It's fine to have your ducks in a row; but keep in mind that the vagaries and vicissitudes of life keep adding and subtracting ducks not to mention adding an occasional chicken or sea serpent.

Promoters began to try to sell lots in the Crystal Park area of Colo. Spgs. about 1890. There was nothing for decades and then a housing explosion in time for today's big fire. I consider Colrado Springs a wonderful place and have great memories beginning when I was two years old. The view west from Pikes Peak Avenue as it traverses downtown is the most extraordinary view any city in the world can claim.

This is a history of the city written by really enjoyable writer.

Amazon.com: Newport in the Rockies: The Life & Good Times of Colorado Springs (9780804008990): Marshall Sprague: Books

Here's a history of my favorite railroad. I rode a steam train to the top. Being old does have it's advantages. Put this on your list; do a saved search on ebay. The author truly loved his subject; that makes a very special kind of a book.

Amazon.com: Cog Railway to Pike's Peak [Manitou and Pikes Peak Railway]: Morris W. Abbot: Books
Good advice, Wyoming. Yes, we are taking care of deferred maintenance so the place stays dry and safe - and of course, some things just take physical effort more than $$$, such as gardens . . . and they add so much enjoyment on a daily basis. I like decorating so that has been the "fun" aspect . . . the budget is slim so finding creative solutions -- (such as recycling) -- has been a really enjoyable aspect of my little projects.

Those vicissitudes of life have definitely impacted us in the last decade. We still have goals but we have found no matter how good the plans, we need to be flexible. I would say health concerns have impacted us the most and all we can do is make plans based on reasonable expectations for the future, all the while knowing that life can turn on a dime, as it were.

Love your book recommendations. Railroads fascinate me . . . particularly in re: to westward expansion in this country.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:03 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Default The issue of why this chat thread is no longer a sticky

Sorry if I missed some definitive answer on this, but just now I posted the question in a new thread in the "About the Forum" forum. From the one answer I received so far, it appears that the maximum number of allowable stickies in a forum is two, and when that other sticky was created, one had to be cut loose.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:31 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Go to the bottom of the General Forums page. In terms of the Health Insurance Subforum, it looks to me that with a few exceptions (moderators?) only the current Retiree subscribers are responding to the Medicare posts. It also occurred to me that every time one of us checks out the new subforum, we add to the "success" of the subforum with each click. Something to think about.
yup I have avoided it like as in nada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement