U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 08:44 AM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
As a child, my worst memories of visiting the "old folks" in their homes were of their stuffy and overheated living rooms. The heat would hit me in the face as soon as the door opened. It felt so "old" to me, lol. And the candy dishes on the coffee table! And here I am at the same age now...maybe that's why I need air and sparseness in my home. I've given away everything that could be a candy dish. But dang, I'm still getting old.
hahahahaha, that's cute. Don't forget to get rid of anything that smells of lavender. That's what reminds me of really old folks. I like lavender now--oh dear.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Yeah, come to think about it, the "old" people in my life as a kid really acted old. They never exercised, never just went out for a walk, always had the TV blaring (in their overheated l.r.'s), always offered candy, and were always kindly. Their homes were always immaculate, nothing out of place.

I am here to defy all that. Sometimes it looks as though a bomb has gone off in my house. It was neater when I was working. I have projects going everywhere, piles of writing to process, artwork to frame, stuff accumulating for the grandkids, and the younger dog racing around and constantly playing loud concertos on his squeaky toy. When the grandkids are old enough to stay, it'll get worse.

The funny thing is, having been such a neat freak all my life, I rather enjoy the chaos. I keep the place very clean, but as for straightening up, I only do that when I know visitors are coming and I quickly round up everything and throw it into the downstairs bedroom and shut the door. (Then the place looks lean and clean and super orderly).

The one thing I think elders of my youth did have in their favor was consistency. They got up and went to bed at the same time, they ate 3 square meals on time without the snacking, they had their "regular" shows on TV to watch. They had no computers or cell phones or anything else to distract them. That saved them, perhaps, despite the lack of exercise. They would be absolutely bewildered by "supplements" and "organic foods" and yoga, etc. They lived from day to day in relative peace and no one made any demands on them. Although today we're so conscious of diet and exercise, I think we have some things to learn from the old folks of yesterday.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:08 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yeah, come to think about it, the "old" people in my life as a kid really acted old. They never exercised, never just went out for a walk, always had the TV blaring (in their overheated l.r.'s), always offered candy, and were always kindly. Their homes were always immaculate, nothing out of place.

I am here to defy all that. Sometimes it looks as though a bomb has gone off in my house. It was neater when I was working. I have projects going everywhere, piles of writing to process, artwork to frame, stuff accumulating for the grandkids, and the younger dog racing around and constantly playing loud concertos on his squeaky toy. When the grandkids are old enough to stay, it'll get worse.

The funny thing is, having been such a neat freak all my life, I rather enjoy the chaos. I keep the place very clean, but as for straightening up, I only do that when I know visitors are coming and I quickly round up everything and throw it into the downstairs bedroom and shut the door. (Then the place looks lean and clean and super orderly).

The one thing I think elders of my youth did have in their favor was consistency. They got up and went to bed at the same time, they ate 3 square meals on time without the snacking, they had their "regular" shows on TV to watch. They had no computers or cell phones or anything else to distract them. That saved them, perhaps, despite the lack of exercise. They would be absolutely bewildered by "supplements" and "organic foods" and yoga, etc. They lived from day to day in relative peace and no one made any demands on them. Although today we're so conscious of diet and exercise, I think we have some things to learn from the old folks of yesterday.
You are in fine fettle today--how old fashioned sounding is that! House looks like a bomb went off! Mine too. I always kept the living room immaculate but living in smaller quarters now, the living room is LIVED in. I also have so many piles of paperwork that there's nowhere to put it all. Medicare books, projects, everything. My mother's living room would have had a newspaper and a few magazines neatly kept in a magazine rack between their two chairs.

We should start a thread on how neat our elders were or how they did things differently--and according to schedule. I know that my mother was So Neat that she would never leave the house with a dish still in the sink. Ever. At her funeral we mentioned that trait in the remembrances that were read out loud.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:52 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Yes, the 'seize the day because you don't know if you will have tomorrow' syndrome.

We are having a lot of that now since my Dad passed unexpectedly last September.

Seize your marathon then!

'Thank you Lord for another day on Planet Earth. Through Jesus I pray.'
-Phil Robertson
Thanks! Actually, it's just a half marathon. I know a guy my age who's doing the whole marathon, and my hat is off to him. It's mind boggling for me, though--just doing the half is more than enough for me. But who knows, maybe by next year I'll be up for it. (Kinda doubt it, though. More likely I'll so pooped after this event that I never want to hear the word "marathon" again. )

Old 11-03-2013, 06:17 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Cal, give it your best shot. You are adding mileage to your years. Mom is 72 and walks a mile a day. You might find it addictive!

Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,100 times
I really don't like this time change. Yesterday just seemed to drag on.

My youngest is getting married in June. They've been living together for six years and engaged for two. I'm excited for her. I told her I would pay for her dress. I don't see my other two children getting married ever. They are in long-term live-in relationships. My son and his girlfriend have been together for 25+yrs and my other daughter and her boyfriend have been together for 8-9 years. My deceased son was married twice. And they were both dumpster fires

Old 11-04-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I really don't like this time change. Yesterday just seemed to drag on.
It's not a time change, it's the real time. Daylight Savings Time is the artificial time, supposedly for the benefit of farmers. I was just telling someone this morning that I hate DST. Now that the time is the real time, I feel much more in sync with reality. I was up early this morning feeling rested. Now the sun will come up and set when it's supposed to.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
I hate this time change. Now it starts getting dark at 4pm here. UGH!

Anyway, as I sit here with my coffee watching all the worker bees scurrying about, I think I'll go trout fishing, then take a nap, then watch cartoons.

I love retirement!

Old 11-04-2013, 11:55 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Yep, hating the early darkness.

Jim, I like your plan. Let us know if you catch yourself some dinner.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I hate this time change. Now it starts getting dark at 4pm here. UGH!

Anyway, as I sit here with my coffee watching all the worker bees scurrying about, I think I'll go trout fishing, then take a nap, then watch cartoons.

I love retirement!
It is not a time change. It is the real time. Are you having trouble adjusting to reality now that you're retired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement