U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM
 
3,438 posts, read 4,792,340 times
Reputation: 5403

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It's not a time change, it's the real time. Daylight Savings Time is the artificial time, supposedly for the benefit of farmers. I was just telling someone this morning that I hate DST. Now that the time is the real time, I feel much more in sync with reality. I was up early this morning feeling rested. Now the sun will come up and set when it's supposed to.
I have to disagree about DST being ..........'for the benefit of the farmers"

I remember when DST first started and the farmers were vehemently opposed to it.
The " city slickers" were the ones who loved it because it gave them more daylight when they got off work.

I recall reading articles by " city slickers" ridiculing the dairy farmers' opposition and stating..." cows can't tell time "

Many jobs on a dairy farm were based on the normal day and moving the clock ahead an hour meant the business places in town.............implement dealers, milk hauler, feed mills, repair shops were all closing an hour earlier.

The farmer had to start baling hay an hour later because of the dew.

Yes, there was heated controversy over DST, but every farmer I knew opposed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 PM
 
10,842 posts, read 8,189,537 times
Reputation: 17127
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It is not a time change. It is the real time.
It is a change - back to standard time. There's no such thing as "real time". Both standard and daylight savings time are consensual clock settings. When we move the setting for any reason, it's a change that affects most people's daily routines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,195 posts, read 12,664,360 times
Reputation: 26568
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It is not a time change. It is the real time. Are you having trouble adjusting to reality now that you're retired?
I've been retired since 2009, so trouble adjusting to NOT being in the middle of total chaos and insanity every single day. Heck no! I love retirement.

I get to do what I want when I...oh look SpongeBob is on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 03:44 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,467,052 times
Reputation: 16359
Default Reality =

Coffee, fishing, roaming the back roads, cartoons and now Sponge Bob - what's not to like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,156,636 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I have to disagree about DST being ..........'for the benefit of the farmers"

I remember when DST first started and the farmers were vehemently opposed to it.
The " city slickers" were the ones who loved it because it gave them more daylight when they got off work.

I recall reading articles by " city slickers" ridiculing the dairy farmers' opposition and stating..." cows can't tell time "

Many jobs on a dairy farm were based on the normal day and moving the clock ahead an hour meant the business places in town.............implement dealers, milk hauler, feed mills, repair shops were all closing an hour earlier.

The farmer had to start baling hay an hour later because of the dew.

Yes, there was heated controversy over DST, but every farmer I knew opposed it.
I guess the "farmer" reason was mythology. It's the reason we were always given by parents and the schools. Thanks for setting me straight. I googled and found this: Daylight saving time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At any rate, I think DST is a stupid idea and something that should be abolished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,156,636 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
It is a change - back to standard time. There's no such thing as "real time". Both standard and daylight savings time are consensual clock settings. When we move the setting for any reason, it's a change that affects most people's daily routines.
Oh thank heavens. I knew there was no such thing as reality.

I did know that, but even so, the consensual usual time is the time I operate best by. I wake up automatically now quite early and want to go to sleep earlier. Must be my personal clock works with this kind of consensual time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,156,636 times
Reputation: 15656
I just started watching the series Mad Men. I'd never known what it was about and was surprised to find out it's about the ad industry in the 1960s. Now I can clearly see why western civilization is so screwed up. I cannot believe we had those values and for so long. I mean, have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,112,942 times
Reputation: 42871
Now that I'm retired, things like daylight savings don't affect me one iota. I wake up when I feel like waking up--doesn't matter to me if a clock says it's 5:00 or 6:00.

In fact I barely notice daylight savings anymore. They mention it in on the news, and I think "Is it that time again? Look how fast the year is passing," but that's about all the attention I give it. I spend maybe 20 minutes walking around the house to make sure the various clocks are updated. That's mildly amusing, I suppose--but most of mine update automatically, so that isn't a big deal anymore, either. I kind of like moving the hands on the one clock that needs manual adjustment, but after 2 seconds that entertainment is over. Although if I was bored I suppose I could milk it for a few more seconds by pondering the passage of time and remembering when we got that clock, I guess. I don't see a need to do DST but at the same time it doesn't bother me. I barely even notice it--got too many other things to think about these days.

Last edited by Caladium; 11-05-2013 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,923,098 times
Reputation: 32336
Default Standard time reflects astronomical reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
It is a change - back to standard time. There's no such thing as "real time". Both standard and daylight savings time are consensual clock settings. When we move the setting for any reason, it's a change that affects most people's daily routines.
While it's true that any clock settings are societally consensual, standard time is far from arbitrary. "Noon" under Standard Time means the time at which the sun is at its highest point in the sky, and that will be true at almost any latitude, very close to either pole being the exception for some parts of the year. Thus the concept of noon under standard time means that there are equal parts of daylight both before noon and after noon. This will not be true right to the second because the orbit of the earth around the sun is not a perfect circle but is elliptical and the earth needs to conserve its angular momentum around the sun. But for everyday purposes it is true.

So the name "standard" makes logical sense, and Daylight Savings Time is correctly seen as a modification of Standard Time.

Now I am moving from scientific fact to my own opinion: In my opinion people who complain about the times changes twice a year need to get a life, unless they are farmers whose lives are actually affected. If that is a problem worthy of complaint, then one's life must be otherwise perfect beyond all imagining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,596,932 times
Reputation: 22437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
While it's true that any clock settings are societally consensual, standard time is far from arbitrary. "Noon" under Standard Time means the time at which the sun is at its highest point in the sky, and that will be true at almost any latitude, very close to either pole being the exception for some parts of the year. Thus the concept of noon under standard time means that there are equal parts of daylight both before noon and after noon. This will not be true right to the second because the orbit of the earth around the sun is not a perfect circle but is elliptical and the earth needs to conserve its angular momentum around the sun. But for everyday purposes it is true.

So the name "standard" makes logical sense, and Daylight Savings Time is correctly seen as a modification of Standard Time.

Now I am moving from scientific fact to my own opinion: In my opinion people who complain about the times changes twice a year need to get a life, unless they are farmers whose lives are actually affected. If that is a problem worthy of complaint, then one's life must be otherwise perfect beyond all imagining.
I never notice time "changes" (w/ the clock) much at all - never have.

Now, what I DID notice was the first time I spent time in Glacier National Park . . . it stayed light til almost midnight! I loved that. Again, doesn't seem to affect when and how I sleep (really bugs my hubby, tho). I love having more light outside that late. How much nicer it would be to walk my dog, or to work a late shift . . . or to run an errand . . .

We had rented a log cabin on the lake, and it had a big picture window next to the bed. I would leave the curtain open and just watch the undulating water, til I fell asleep. I think back to those times so often. Magical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top