U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-06-2013, 05:05 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Reputation: 34750

Advertisements

Okay. Today I was out with friends and it got dark early. First we were in one friend's new apartment and she was raving about how much sunlight it got! About 4pm it started to get dim and she started moaning about how she hated it getting dark early and the loss of light.

Then I had to drive the other friend home (his car is dead). It's not bad at all driving on a two lane state highway but he lives up toward New Hampshire in a condo in the woods. I realized it's not just ice and snow, it's the lack of light when you are driving in unlit rural areas. It's harder to see the landmarks and the street signs in the dark. There are few streetlights and no houses or businesses giving off light.

So it's also city vs rural--and in rural it is just plain DARK. There is no artificial light, only the headlights from your car.

I don't want to live in the south but if I didn't have so much to do around here I would take off right about now for a more southern area and not come back until the light returns.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.

 
Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
We have so many deer now - the population in suburban areas is NOT controlled here in NC, wh/ still perplexes me . . . in Kansas, they relocate deer from suburban areas plus they have special hunting laws (can't remember what, exactly, but anyway - they are proactive about having dozens of deer dashing out in front of cars).

Here, it turns dark and my oh my . . . it is getting where I am not even surprised to see deer IN THE FRONT YARD after dark. Ordinarily, they are always in the back yard, down near the creek (unless they sneak up to much on plants around the deck). The last few years, during the winter, we see them in groups just walking down the street in our neighborhood at night! It is nuts! They cause accidents!

I have always been conscious of deer darting out in front of my car when driving in the mountains, but for it to be this bad here inside the city limits . . .crazy (and worrisome when driving).
 
Old 11-06-2013, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We have so many deer now - the population in suburban areas is NOT controlled here in NC, wh/ still perplexes me . . . in Kansas, they relocate deer from suburban areas plus they have special hunting laws (can't remember what, exactly, but anyway - they are proactive about having dozens of deer dashing out in front of cars).

Here, it turns dark and my oh my . . . it is getting where I am not even surprised to see deer IN THE FRONT YARD after dark. Ordinarily, they are always in the back yard, down near the creek (unless they sneak up to much on plants around the deck). The last few years, during the winter, we see them in groups just walking down the street in our neighborhood at night! It is nuts! They cause accidents!

I have always been conscious of deer darting out in front of my car when driving in the mountains, but for it to be this bad here inside the city limits . . .crazy (and worrisome when driving).
Perhaps you can introduce a few mountain lions (also called pumas in some parts of the country) into your neighborhood. Their principal prey is deer. They have been known to also take care of large dogs. Do you have coyotes? They are good for stray cats.
 
Old 11-06-2013, 06:23 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Perhaps you can introduce a few mountain lions (also called pumas in some parts of the country) into your neighborhood. Their principal prey is deer. They have been known to also take care of large dogs. Do you have coyotes? They are good for stray cats.
We have a terrible problem with coyotes attacking livestock as well as our pets! They have actually lightened up on laws re: killing coyotes in the city limits b/c we have had so many attacks!

That is the problem . . . the deer have no real natural predators in the suburbs (well, cars!!!) But the deer total the cars so seems they are not the only victims in most of their head-ons.

I encourage cats b/c they kill snakes and keep the vermin down. Since I am in a heavily wooded area, we have so many squirrels and they chew up the eaves on houses! They get into our roofs!!! So the cats discourage squirrels from coming around houses . . .

I have motion activated flood lights and I think that helps at times with the deer. I don't want anything to happen to the deer, but I don't want them causing wrecks, either.
 
Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We have a terrible problem with coyotes attacking livestock as well as our pets! They have actually lightened up on laws re: killing coyotes in the city limits b/c we have had so many attacks!

That is the problem . . . the deer have no real natural predators in the suburbs (well, cars!!!) But the deer total the cars so seems they are not the only victims in most of their head-ons.

I encourage cats b/c they kill snakes and keep the vermin down. Since I am in a heavily wooded area, we have so many squirrels and they chew up the eaves on houses! They get into our roofs!!! So the cats discourage squirrels from coming around houses . . .

I have motion activated flood lights and I think that helps at times with the deer. I don't want anything to happen to the deer, but I don't want them causing wrecks, either.
Good rational, objective analysis, Ani. I was being tongue-in-cheek about introducing mountain lions, which are not compatible with close-by human habitation anyway for a number of reasons, the foremost perhaps being the danger to children who might be hiking/playing in the woods. Mountain lions tend to shy away from humans, but if they are hungry and if the deer are near to humans, the mountain lions will come. I am probably one of the rare people to have seen a mountain lion in the wild.
 
Old 11-06-2013, 07:21 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Good rational, objective analysis, Ani. I was being tongue-in-cheek about introducing mountain lions, which are not compatible with close-by human habitation anyway for a number of reasons, the foremost perhaps being the danger to children who might be hiking/playing in the woods. Mountain lions tend to shy away from humans, but if they are hungry and if the deer are near to humans, the mountain lions will come. I am probably one of the rare people to have seen a mountain lion in the wild.
Well, I knew you were being at least a bit facetious, lol . . . but you know me . . . I did think it was worth talking about. We are truly having some awful things happen here with coyotes - in the 'burbs!!! Who knew!!!

I have never seen a mountain lion in the wild. I have seen the small "bobcats" we have here in NC. I have always wondered how folks who live in areas where mountain lions roam are able to hike and run knowing there are predators in those hills. That would make me sooooo nervous.

We have never spotted any coyotes right here in my particular neighborhood, but several miles from here, animals have been grabbed!

I wish someone would explain to me why we need to be concerned about coyotes, who are all over the country and causing problems. I do not get it. It isn't as though they are endangered or that they are helpful to have in suburban communities.
 
Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Well, I have decided to activate my nursing home administrator's license -- I am working on CEUs . . . need 500 completed by June 2014. I passed my boards back in 1996, so don't have to sit for them again (state and national).

I want to keep my business geared to behavioral health but expand more into cognitive impairment issues as well as grief management. Still exploring all that . . . have been researching possibilities for about two years . . . I think there is a need for services my company can provide but I am also interested in getting back into hands-on management, as is hubby (he has a NHA license, too).

Guess I will be online here less -- and more time spent doing CEUs.
 
Old 11-06-2013, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Reputation: 42872
Ani, we'll miss you all the time, that's for sure. But what exciting news! Hope it goes smoothly. I think you would do very well in that field. And, good to know you'll still come around from time to time. City data is the perfect 5 minute break when things get a little too busy. Oddly sometimes I have more time for city-data on busy days than on the slow days.
 
Old 11-06-2013, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We have never spotted any coyotes right here in my particular neighborhood, but several miles from here, animals have been grabbed!

I wish someone would explain to me why we need to be concerned about coyotes, who are all over the country and causing problems. I do not get it. It isn't as though they are endangered or that they are helpful to have in suburban communities.
I don't know anything about your local area and its animal control policies, but I know enough about coyotes to offer the following thought:

Even if your local wildlife officials were to trap/poison/shoot coyotes in a fairly large suburban area, the reduction or elimination would only be temporary. They would be back in six months, having moved in from other areas. Besides coyotes are so smart and adaptable that it's just about impossible to eliminate them entirely from an area anyway. Unlike mountain lions, which reproduce slowly and have a natural aversion for being in proximity to humans, coyotes have adapted marvelously well to living in close proximity to human habitation. There is not a whole lot we can do about it, other than reduce the food supply which we offer them near our homes: cover garbage cans securely and bring pets inside at night. (I believe outdoor cats are at risk even during the day time, though).
 
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Reputation: 42872
We haven't spotted any deer in the new neighborhood yet, but at my old house we saw them 5-6 times a week. We'd see 'em in the back yard, in the side yards, in the front lawn, even walking right down the street in broad daylight. We had Brazen Bambis up in northern VA. How I lived there all those years without hitting one is a miracle.

The funniest thing about the deer is how much they loved the golf course, especially the driving range. And they love having golf balls hit at them. The first time I saw it, I thought "Oh you cruel, cruel golfers! You're going to hit that poor innocent little deer!" And my face probably looked like this:

But it turns out deer seem to have this uncanny ability to watch balls flying right at them and then step aside at the last minute. I've never seen one get hit. In fact, the deer seem to dig it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top