Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 09:09 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Guess I will be online here less -- and more time spent doing CEUs.
You will be missed.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It is not a time change. It is the real time. Are you having trouble adjusting to reality now that you're retired?
All time zones are societal impostions. So is the clock. Time zones and are conveniences, not "real time", whatever you think that is.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:09 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I realized it's not just ice and snow, it's the lack of light when you are driving in unlit rural areas. It's harder to see the landmarks and the street signs in the dark. There are few streetlights and no houses or businesses giving off light.

So it's also city vs rural--and in rural it is just plain DARK. There is no artificial light, only the headlights from your car.
Now that I am living rural I do find it somewhat harder to drive at night with no street lighting on the roads (hey, half the roads in this county aren't even paved). Couple that with my aging vision and I do think twice about night driving, especially in bad weather, be it heavy rain or snow and ice.

I've had a couple of 'slide into the shallow ditch' along side the roadway but was able to get back on the pavement under my own steam. Also had one close encounter when the rain changed to sleet/ice as I headed in to town and went sliding out of control. The right hand wheels of my Suburban were just a couple of inches from the edge of an embankment with about a 10' drop and no guard rail. I was shaking so badly that I could not drive and a guy in the truck behind me had to get me turned around so that I could go home, the errands could wait a day. The next edition of our weekly paper had photos and reports of quite a few accidents and incidents from that day, fortunately no serious injuries to people, just crunched vehicles.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:01 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Quote:
Well, I have decided to activate my nursing home administrator's license -- I am working on CEUs . . . need 500 completed by June 2014. I passed my boards back in 1996, so don't have to sit for them again (state and national).

I want to keep my business geared to behavioral health but expand more into cognitive impairment issues as well as grief management. Still exploring all that . . . have been researching possibilities for about two years . . . I think there is a need for services my company can provide but I am also interested in getting back into hands-on management, as is hubby (he has a NHA license, too).

Guess I will be online here less -- and more time spent doing CEUs.
Congrats, ani, that is very exciting. Is this an encore career or are you still working?

Ice, darkness, deer = deeeeeepressing! Yuck, not relishing the thought of the next five months.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
NH Belongs in the Atlantic Time Zone

Something in here made me think of this thread.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Ice, darkness, deer = deeeeeepressing! Yuck, not relishing the thought of the next five months.
It does make you realize an advantage of living in a more urban area when you hit your senior years. Or at least a suburban area with street lights and stores that are fairly nearby.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Standard time is just an hour difference from DST. I really don't see the big deal with ST, especially for retirees. Any event or meeting in the evening in winter is going to take place in the dark, if not in going, then in coming home. Do you want it to be daylight outdoors at 10 p.m. too? If you want more daylight, start the day an hour earlier.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Congrats, ani, that is very exciting. Is this an encore career or are you still working?

Hi CCc! I don't know what to call it . . . just something I have in my skill set and think it is time to use it. The industry (long term care) is facing some challenges and I am interested in finding solutions, both at the regulatory level and with facility operations (program design and management).

Gerontology has always been of interest to me . . . and since I am getting older, seems I can speak from a place of more authority, lololol.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
You will be missed.
(((hugs))) very kind of you, LibraGirl . . . I will be around . . . C-D is a great place to take breaks!!!!

Old 11-08-2013, 03:34 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It does make you realize an advantage of living in a more urban area when you hit your senior years. Or at least a suburban area with street lights and stores that are fairly nearby.
Right on, Cal. We are quickly realizing what my Dad knew years ago. This is not the place to age in place. Morriston FL will still give us the rural feel but Ocala, Dunellon and Gainseville are only twenty minutes away.

Quote:
Hi CCc! I don't know what to call it . . . just something I have in my skill set and think it is time to use it. The industry (long term care) is facing some challenges and I am interested in finding solutions, both at the regulatory level and with facility operations (program design and management).

Gerontology has always been of interest to me . . . and since I am getting older, seems I can speak from a place of more authority, lololol.
Cool. Never too early to prepare. Mom got me an AARP subscription when I was 45 and it was very informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement