U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 08:17 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

Red gloves and hat sound oh-so-chic with a silver down parka!!!

I hope I don't hate myself for choosing raspberry - with the down - i fear I may look like Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird) in that HAM outfit she wore to the school play . . . but I AM SURE WARM IN IT!!! lolololol

Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Red gloves and hat sound oh-so-chic with a silver down parka!!!

I hope I don't hate myself for choosing raspberry - with the down - i fear I may look like Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird) in that HAM outfit she wore to the school play . . . but I AM SURE WARM IN IT!!! lolololol
Oh you lucky! The raspberry will be beautiful. In looking at down jackets, I started last spring at the Outlets and fell in love with a raspberry jacket. It was the wrong size and you know how it is at the Outlets, they'll only have one left. So finally I found the exact jacket on ebay but I had to get silver.

When it comes right down to it, it's the warmth that matters the most. I wonder what colors will go with it for hat and gloves?

Old 11-13-2013, 05:08 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm glad I didn't move South for the purpose of warmer winters. Yours isn't a whole lot worse than New England. And to think I was ready to put up with insufferable summers with the thought that my winters would be so much warmer!
If you live in the NC mountains, you don't get insufferable summers. That's why people in Florida and the "flatlands" of the Carolinas spend their summers in the NC mountains. And since you'd be much further south, your sensitivity to daylight savings time wouldn't be such an issue.

Last edited by Caladium; 11-13-2013 at 05:50 AM..

Old 11-13-2013, 05:20 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Quote:
It's really cold and windy today. No more lightweight jackets. I found my cuddledud longjohns and am keeping them on till spring. I also hauled out the hats, gloves, boots et al and found my emergency equipment for power outages. My favorite item is the headlamp, it actually saved us from insanity during the 2011 Oct. blizzard when we had no power for 10 days. These headlamps with a stretchy head strap have LED lights with several settings. They're only about 10 bucks. I give them every year as gifts to the kids ("enough, already" ). Having a tripod multiple flashlight, stored food and water, etc. is good in the north. I also keep supplies and sleeping bags in the car trunk. I hope I never have to go to a shelter due to an emergency, but if I do it will be a-la Chevy Chase.
I remember that one, my stepssister in CT had no power for a week and no generator. They finally got one. You should consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We have had a smattering of snow here in Charlotte this evening . . . temps have plunged and will be in the 20s tonight. Crazy, since we had temps in the mid-70s on Sunday!!!!!

I finally got myself a new winter coat -- I compromised on style. I wanted a ski jacket, but when it came to practicality -- I needed a longer coat. So I bought a downfilled coat that hits mid-thigh and has a hood. I tried it out this evening when I took my sweet old girl for walkies. I am very pleased.

I don't mind cold weather -- as long as I have warm clothing.
It sounds lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Look at your thread in Health and Wellness, there are a lot of suggestions for you now.

I'm feeling chilly sitting here and this morning I realized that I didn't get ALL my winter clothing out. I bought (over the summer, on sale) a thigh length down parka and it's silver. So why didn't I get my GRAY gloves and hat out? Not red.
Yeah, I know, I am following a lot of them, and I am greatful but srill miserable and nobody has had this so I'm screwed, I know it's going to be months and I'm sick of being sick.

I'm holding off on the heavy woolen coats and snowsuits. No need to usher winter in early IMO.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
It was 17 degrees at 7 this morning when I let the dogs out for a really quick pee and they raced right in again, even the big black dog with the fairly heavy coat. I guess his old bones don't like the cold any more than I do. The critters have all been fed and are back to napping in various locations.

Forecast shows a warming trend with temps near 60 for the weekend. That will be good because Petsmart is having one of it's National Adoption weekends and we will be taking foster dogs to it. With decent weather there should be more folks out and about and that means a greater chance of getting some applications on our current group. Sure would be nice to find homes for the two treeing walker hounds that have been with us for a bit, as well as the boxer/beagle mix that I have had since the spring.

A raspberry colored coat sounds yummy and I think that a red hat and gloves make a great compliment to a silver coat.

I've been fortunate that the longest power outage that I've experienced here was about 14 hours and most of that was overnight. But with an all electric house it means one must have plenty of water set aside since the well won't pump, as well as alternative means of heating - fireplace and kerosene heaters and cooking - Coleman camp stove.

May we all have a mild winter with plenty of good books to read when the weather is bad.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:49 AM

8,322 posts, read 12,075,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I've just seen the "S" word from the forecasters about tomorrows weather.

They are saying only a 20 to 30 percent chance but still as far as I am concerned it is much too early for that stuff to start.

Yeah, that arctic cold front is even affecting the weather down here. Our high yesterday was 86, but it's only going to hit a "chilly" 76 today. The low tonight is forecasted to only be 69. Brrrrr.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:54 AM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
I'm glad I didn't move South for the purpose of warmer winters. Yours isn't a whole lot worse than New England. And to think I was ready to put up with insufferable summers with the thought that my winters would be so much warmer! But you don't get the heavy snow. That's a plus. The old blower is sitting like the little engine that could in our garage right now, just waiting for her chance at serious work.
Gads, reading all these posts makes me feel cold! lol Just one more reason to love where I live even if it does get HOT in the summer. Pretty much makes it worth the winters here. It WILL get cold, eventually, but not so bad I can't get by with a jacket. I DO need a new one though and have been promising myself a new one for a long time. Maybe this year...

Right now it's in the mid 70s to 80 during the day and around 45 at night. I don't run the heat at night and it only takes a few minutes to get the chill off in the morning. I hope we do have a colder winter than we did last year if only because it makes my flowers bloom better in the spring. Or seems that way anyway. No snow here but we do get some 'fallout' from the mountain...a 'dusting' that's gone before noon usually. It's so pretty to look at but no shoveling. BTDT plenty in my life though so I DO know what I'm missing. lol

Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Oh you lucky! The raspberry will be beautiful. In looking at down jackets, I started last spring at the Outlets and fell in love with a raspberry jacket. It was the wrong size and you know how it is at the Outlets, they'll only have one left. So finally I found the exact jacket on ebay but I had to get silver.

When it comes right down to it, it's the warmth that matters the most. I wonder what colors will go with it for hat and gloves?
I am putting black with it . . . but I got this AWESOME pashmina that has many different shades of pinks in it - the raspberry plus fuschia, coral, other pink shades . . . and it gives things a totally different look! Plus, it feels fresh and contemporary and when you are old and fat, there is a lot to be said about anything that livens things up (and stays away from the dreaded MATRONLY or DOWDY look!!!) I am looking for hot pink/fuschia gloves to put with the pashmina - how's that for saucy???

I got 3 down vests from Ebay this year!!! All were "new with tags." The least expensive was a Land's End vest for $8.00 (green). The most expensive was a Talbots rose colored vest for $15.99. The other is a purple LL Bean - for $10.00. CAN YOU EVEN BELIEVE THAT???? I got all 3 for less than one would cost and all are new, in pristine condition - still had all the tags!!!

I have been using them for a few weeks in the early mornings to take the dog for walkies and to run to the store. I also bought thermal undies in white, black and pink, and will wear that under long sleeve shirts w/ the down vests.

I feel so festive . . .

Old 11-13-2013, 09:41 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Nice hit on thse vests Ani!!!!!! Ebay rocks!

Zugor your morning temps are what we had and I'm hundreds of miles north of you, so unbeleivable!

Our Florida adventure is approaching. Our broker says the closing will be on the 19th. Then we have 46 days to choose the properties. Yikes, I hate flying this time of year. DH gets hysterical when I fly, he's afraid of planes.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:55 AM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
I have to go out in this freezing weather due to a dentist appointment. I usually wait until the sun warms things up a little and then I have what? a few hours before it gets dark at 4pm and the darkness makes it really cold again. Twenty degrees.

Ani--your outfit sounds fantastic. I am now inspired to wear my new silver parka out into today's Arctic temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement