U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 07:17 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

I can pack quickly! Let me know where to go and when to head there, lol!!!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:18 AM

Happy 4th of July, everyone! :-)

Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I can't get my dog to come out from under the bed. Last night she had a total breakdown. I had to wrap her in a quilt and but a cold pack on her head. The Fourth is not all it's cracked up to be (for dogs anyway).

Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I can't get my dog to come out from under the bed. Last night she had a total breakdown. I had to wrap her in a quilt and but a cold pack on her head. The Fourth is not all it's cracked up to be (for dogs anyway).
No, it sure isn't. The loud noises can be very dangerous for pets as well as wildlife.

We had a rather unique experience several years ago. On the 5th of July, we had animal control show up at our house in suburban Charlotte - with a newborn fawn!

The night before, folks had been celebrating very LOUDLY for hours, and we had experienced some really horrific loud sounds from the country club that backs up to our neighborhood. There is green space in between the club property and ours - and many deer roam the area. A deer had given birth and abandoned the baby, frightened by the commotion.

Seven or so years ago I had gotten our backyard certified as a natural wildlife habitat (large area and goes down to a creek, heavy thicket, native plants, etc).

To my surprise, the animal control folks were aware that we had our area certified and so they wanted to put the fawn in one of the thickets in hopes the mother would return.

We were having a BBQ that evening and were all sitting outside enjoying our wine and about 5 pm, we spotted a deer coming through the woods. Sure enough, it was Bambi's Mom!!!!

I still get goose bumps remembering our experience in the aftermath of July 4th festivities.

All that noise can be quite harmful to our furkids as well as the wildlife that live around us.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:57 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
No, it sure isn't. The loud noises can be very dangerous for pets as well as wildlife.

We had a rather unique experience several years ago. On the 5th of July, we had animal control show up at our house in suburban Charlotte - with a newborn fawn!

The night before, folks had been celebrating very LOUDLY for hours, and we had experienced some really horrific loud sounds from the country club that backs up to our neighborhood. There is green space in between the club property and ours - and many deer roam the area. A deer had given birth and abandoned the baby, frightened by the commotion.

Seven or so years ago I had gotten our backyard certified as a natural wildlife habitat (large area and goes down to a creek, heavy thicket, native plants, etc).

To my surprise, the animal control folks were aware that we had our area certified and so they wanted to put the fawn in one of the thickets in hopes the mother would return.

We were having a BBQ that evening and were all sitting outside enjoying our wine and about 5 pm, we spotted a deer coming through the woods. Sure enough, it was Bambi's Mom!!!!

I still get goose bumps remembering our experience in the aftermath of July 4th festivities.

All that noise can be quite harmful to our furkids as well as the wildlife that live around us.
Love that story! TG he found that little baby and knew where to bring it

Old 07-04-2012, 08:09 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
I have 2 dogs - 1 is unaffected by noise but the other one gets so scared. I put their beds in the lower level near an inside wall (very insulated) and turn on a radio - low with soft music. It works. Occasional treats also help. Good luck with your little pooch - it's hard to see them so scared.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 AM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
And to you as well and to everyone else who knows what it means.

Quote:
If you can find a place consider taking them into the country where they won't hear anything. I've done it regularly when I've lived in noisy places. So far this year I've not heard a single sound of fireworks.

Quote:

Thank you for that wonderful story to begin my day.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:21 PM

606 posts, read 563,893 times
Wonderful stories remind me of my neighbor who boards her horse during the 4th as he too gets spooked. Four houses
on each side on the lane, each about on 1.25 acre. The horse now resides the the converted rv garage turned barn.
Beautful black horse the owner has shown in shows. Judges remark when he enters the ring, he just puffs up?, holds
his head high and says "Look at me!" His nickname is Stats, cannot remember his full name.

Friend and I enjoyed bluegrass music as we enjoyed b-b-q (she had b-b-q chicken, I pulled pork-think of NC!) at the
senior center. The bluegrass sounded so good, think of the Southeast. In spite of the heat, am I being called there?
Also, heard from a dear friend I met in Western NC, so----

Happy 4th Y'All ! Stay safe.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:34 PM

We should keep this thread going strong! We can discuss things here - such as movie reviews, food, travel, etc.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:28 PM

606 posts, read 563,893 times
Quote:
We should keep this thread going strong! We can discuss things here - such as movie reviews, food, travel, etc.
Agree. One Thread that was moved, someone who wasn't taught manners, made a smart aleck remark;
for myself, Post on Woman Retiring alone. May come here too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement