U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 11:32 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times

Advertisements

Good luck at the dentist in_ne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:41 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,609,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I have to go out in this freezing weather due to a dentist appointment. I usually wait until the sun warms things up a little and then I have what? a few hours before it gets dark at 4pm and the darkness makes it really cold again. Twenty degrees.

Ani--your outfit sounds fantastic. I am now inspired to wear my new silver parka out into today's Arctic temperatures.
Uggghhh . . . dental appointment. I have put mine off and need to do that b/f the end of the year.

Shine on silver girl! I have a silver rain coat. The drearier the weather, the more you need to brighten the day with your clothing!!!

Enjoy being FABULOUS and celebrate with your fashion forward silver parka!!!

Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Nice hit on thse vests Ani!!!!!! Ebay rocks!

Zugor your morning temps are what we had and I'm hundreds of miles north of you, so unbeleivable!

Our Florida adventure is approaching. Our broker says the closing will be on the 19th. Then we have 46 days to choose the properties. Yikes, I hate flying this time of year. DH gets hysterical when I fly, he's afraid of planes.
oh no. see if your doc can prescribed some xanax for your hubby to take before the flight. I know someone that this really helps and she is terrified of flying.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:10 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
No, he would freak out. He will be driven to FL. He doesn't have to come to pick out the porperties. Mom is paying for them so she has to like them as our house will be where sahe lives when she can't live alone.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:12 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,205,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Zugor your morning temps are what we had and I'm hundreds of miles north of you, so unbeleivable!
Sometimes I'll check winter temps in Plattsburgh, where I went to college, and find that it's warmer there than here. I thought I was moving to "The South" when I decided to head for VA and the latitude is very close to what the SF Bay Area is but temps sure are not.

On the bright side I no longer have the foster horses and so don't need to shovel snow for 1.5 hours just to get down to the barn to feed them.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Regarding winter dress, I've gotten tired of the bulky stuff (corduroy pants, heavy sweaters, bulky jackets). I bought a Wilson black leather jacket (long). I wore it today at a windy biting 27 degrees and it was warm. My first layer was the cuddledud long underwear top (thin material but warm, and will layer two of them if cold enough) followed by turtleneck then jacket and a mohair scarf. I felt good and felt I look good in this and so even if I freeze my fanny in subzero, I'm only out and about, not going on a hike. Plus it feels so much better than being in stores, etc. in bulky wear. I need a hat that will go with the mohair scarf and also a new pair of black leather gloves. When I lose 10 lb I'll post a pic (which probably means never ).

Old 11-13-2013, 05:05 PM

20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Regarding winter dress, I've gotten tired of the bulky stuff (corduroy pants, heavy sweaters, bulky jackets). I bought a Wilson black leather jacket (long). I wore it today at a windy biting 27 degrees and it was warm. My first layer was the cuddledud long underwear top (thin material but warm, and will layer two of them if cold enough) followed by turtleneck then jacket and a mohair scarf. I felt good and felt I look good in this and so even if I freeze my fanny in subzero, I'm only out and about, not going on a hike. Plus it feels so much better than being in stores, etc. in bulky wear. I need a hat that will go with the mohair scarf and also a new pair of black leather gloves. When I lose 10 lb I'll post a pic (which probably means never ).
Well, it sounds like fun to face the weather in your new clothes. We want to see the pictures!!!!!

I'm too lazy for layers. My new down parka felt light as a feather--and that's what it is! Now to dig down in the cedar chest for the rest of the stuff to go with it. There was ICE today and the watering can in the backyard was filled with ice yet the roses live on.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I started wearing a long black leather coat when I moved to the midwest. No one wore the east coast "all weather coats" that I was used to as an alternative to a camel hair coat or a ski jacket. So for dressy wear, I got used to that look and have continued it.

For daily wear, tho, I prefer a parka or the down filled jacket. When in the mountains, no one wears leather, but here in Charlotte, it is not rare. When I head back to Kansas City, It is standard. Interesting how different regions lean towards different materials, colors, etc.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,118,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We want to see the pictures!!!!!
Me to! The more photos on this forum, the merrier. Always interested in seeing what other posters are interested in or working on. And if the shots let us see what we all look like--all the better!

I's especially love to see photos from Stealth Rabbit. After years of hearing about these compounds you build, you've got me intrigued about what these places look like. I'd really love to see some photos. Zugor, I'd love to see your dogs! CCGirl, I love your attitude, would be interested to see shots of the things you do, too. Etc. Etc.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,118,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Uggghhh . . . dental appointment. I have put mine off and need to do that b/f the end of the year.
Remember, be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement