U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 09:25 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Sometimes I'll check winter temps in Plattsburgh, where I went to college, and find that it's warmer there than here. I thought I was moving to "The South" when I decided to head for VA and the latitude is very close to what the SF Bay Area is but temps sure are not.

On the bright side I no longer have the foster horses and so don't need to shovel snow for 1.5 hours just to get down to the barn to feed them.
LOL that will be me in a few weeks, shoveling a path to the barn.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Me to! The more photos on this forum, the merrier. Always interested in seeing what other posters are interested in or working on. And if the shots let us see what we all look like--all the better!

I's especially love to see photos from Stealth Rabbit. After years of hearing about these compounds you build, you've got me intrigued about what these places look like. I'd really love to see some photos. Zugor, I'd love to see your dogs! CCGirl, I love your attitude, would be interested to see shots of the things you do, too. Etc. Etc.
LOL Stealth post pics of the oil consuming diesel!

Cal, shots of the things I do? Vodka.......kidding. I am at work waiting for the phone to ring peddling my used car parts. Of course with so many people with no job to drive to needless to say since '08 things have been rather lackluster shall we put it....

Old 11-14-2013, 12:33 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Cal, shots of the things I do? Vodka.......kidding.
LOL good one.

Now that I think about it, though.... hmmmm, you might be onto something. If you made a fancy foo foo drink and took a photo of yourself toasting the forum, that would be kinda cool. You'd have to put an umbrella in the drink, of course. And name the drink after us. Now the only question is, what ingredients would go into a Retirement Forum Special? Or, a CCCGirl?

Old 11-14-2013, 12:49 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Speaking about photos, here are some shots from my last day doing my circuit before the Half Marathon. Now I switch over to the gym for a few months. I love being outdoors and like the route, but it's getting too chilly to do it every day now.

Don't know if I'm ready for Saturday or not, but I'm ready to find out--and that's half the battle. Next time you guys hear from me, I promise to be sore sore sore But hopefully also psyched--and hopefully not too sore to type. I'll just be happy if I can finish the course.

The good news is it'll be 65 degrees, the bad news is they're predicting rain showers. But don't worry, no matter how much it rains I'll still take a shower afterwards. And then sit in a hot tub for an hour or two.

These trees look great but don't let them fool ya--just next to them there are plenty that are now bare. And these ones are about to go... one strong breeze and those leaves will be scattered all over the ground. See ya next year, autumn leaves. You were fun while you lasted.

Last edited by Caladium; 11-14-2013 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: said it was tomorrow, not Saturday, I'm a woman ahead of her time LOL

Old 11-14-2013, 01:12 PM

OMG Cal, beautiful!!!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2013, 08:00 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Very nice photos. I especially like the one in the center, of fallen leaves. That's just how they look and you can almost hear the swooshing sound as you walk though them.

We stopped in at our local thrift store yesterday for fun--I should take a photo of the inside because it's not a dump, it's more like an antique shop. But I have never seen a 73 year old "boy" get so excited about finding an unopened model airplane kit. It's a WWII bomber. Twenty four hours later and he's got it all assembled except for the windows and decals and some painting. I'm glad he's having so much fun and I'm glad he spent $8.00 rather than the $80 that he says it should have been!

Old 11-15-2013, 11:05 AM

in_ne you should have taken photos of your boy, oh the joy! Carpe diem!

Old 11-15-2013, 05:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Just spent the entire afternoon at car dealerships. I was hoping to delay this a few years but apparently not. Are we allowed to ask for opinions on different makes and models?

I am down to a choice between three compact SUVs: Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, and Subaru Forester or Outback. I do not like the high rear view windows and general low visibility through the side windows of the Honda or Toyota.

The rear and side visibility (something I think is important to have as we age) is great in the Subarus, but these are known to have a head gasket problem, which the dealer claims has been "fixed."

My main concerns in these choices are safety, rear and side visibility, and long life. I've loved my Corolla (but no longer want a sedan) and am so inclined to go with the Rav4 except for that rear window whose design and dimensions (and rear-mounted tire partially obstructing the rear window) are not preferred.

If we can't discuss this here, I welcome a DM with your thoughts/recommendations ~ I may have to make a decision within a few days. Thanks ~

Old 11-15-2013, 05:46 PM

Must you go new? Certified pre owned would be the proper, frugal New England way.

Easiest way is Google 2014 Forester problems. Or look for a Forester forum. Is the Highlander too large?

Whatever you do do NOT get the Forester with the turbo engine. Huge mistake.

I looked at my salvage database, used engines are cammanding fairly high prices. Not a lot of them out there and 2011 to 2013 fits the same.

You can also try consumer complaints dot com and ripoff report dot com for issues.

Test drive the Forester carefully, they are twitchy-

('09-'13) just brought a 2013 forester.. - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

(me=professional parts manager 25 yrs DH=mater auto tech 45 yrs) car stuff, ask away

Old 11-15-2013, 05:48 PM

2,021 posts, read 2,736,091 times
Newenglandgirl, we have a 2010 Subaru Forester and a 2002 Subaru Outback H6 VDC. The head gasket problems are not on the 6-cylinder engines, and we have had no problems with our Outback. We looked at the Honda CRV but the safety ratings are not as good as the Forester. The Forester handles beautifully--nimble, fun, and great in snow. I had to drive home in the middle of a heavy snowfall from the Portland airport on an unplowed I-295 and had NO problems. It has great visibility and it is easy to get in/out of. I love driving both of our Subarus.

You might also consider the Mazda CX-5 with Skyactiv. It seems to be an excellent small crossover vehicle. I have been doing extensive research on car buying for a friend and for our son, so feel free to ask more questions.

Last edited by Fern435; 11-15-2013 at 06:00 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 06:05 PM

Thank you Fern!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement