U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 09:49 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times

Advertisements

Whenever I'm on the road I always have my shoe bag with three alternatives in it. Emergency-having to walk, adjust for climate/season; Hottie for when I'm in town, and Practical, in case my feet get tired or it's summer and it could get hot meaning sandals.

I always bring a jacket that matches my outfit along with the raincoat in the truck. As the weather worsens these will go from denim to wool.

Saturday is hunter/gatherer day when I go 'to town' for supplies. It's a 32 mile 45 minute ride. It goes over the Mountain Road on which there is a three or so mile stretch of no cell service.

Yet another reason we are bailing to Florida. I don't want to be doing it in my 70s. Being 45 minutes away from anything is not a good plan as I age. Folks up here do it, though. My neighbors up the road are in their eighties, but they do have one son who is 55 that is there 24/7. The other sons come up weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 11:26 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,609,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Having an emergency kit in your vehicles is no more hoarding than keeping fire extinguishers, smoke and gas alarms, security systems, basic tools, spare keys, first aid supplies, extra blankets, and all the other emergency supplies you might need in your house. Find a way to safely stow that stuff in your new chariot; just make sure it's secure. Tom Mix died in a minor traffic accident while sitting in the back seat of a car. A sudden stop caused a suitcase on the rear ledge behind him to zoom forward breaking his neck.

Don't worry if they tell you you're a goofy old lady who should know that nothing ever goes wrong. They probably wouldn't use their seatbelts if they weren't afraid of a ticket.

When a man in Washington reported his wife missing on a winter night after she didn't return from a short trip police investigated and soon came to the conclusion that her husband had murdered her and hidden the car and her body. They dropped the search. Several days later she was found in her car next to the highway. She'd gone off the road but had not been visible in any way to passing motorists. Miraculously, she was alive. When I read of this I bought two emergency beacons for each vehicle, one that plugs into the cigarette socket that's visible for over a mile and a second one powered by a D-cell with a clip to attach it to clothing or a pack. Even if the beacons weren't directly visible people would see the refections and light scatter.

Safety is like love and money. You can never have too much of any of them.
You just reminded me . . . I used to have a very nice first aid kit and didn't put a new one in this car. I need to do that. As for the beacons - that is very impressive and I really really like that idea, especially since there are so many places here that someone wouldn't find me for days (no cell reception in many areas where I travel) if I went down a mountainside. Since I HAVE gone over a mountain years ago, I do think of such things. This is a great idea.

I also think that is an excellent tip about having things secured. I have a net that is part of the equipment for my vehicle, so the runners that the net attaches to are permanent and sturdy. That is why I secure my emergency items so they won't fly around, even if the car rolls. When I had my accident back in the 70s, my car rolled 5 times. I was in a VW bug and, being a student, had a box of books in the back seat. Those books flew everywhere and did, indeed, hit me in the head (one or several of them - who knows). I was very very lucky to walk out of that alive. I cringe to think what would have happened if a crow bar had been unsecured in that back seat.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:29 AM

CCc: great idea about the extra wiper blade and some kind of knife. Going to add that to my stash, as well.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:12 PM

Ani, my Mom got t-boned in her yellow 1973 Beetle while working at the U of Miami. She didn't roll it but she still has to see the chiropractor every week. Small world.

The knife you will need to cut off your seat belt in case you roll or the airbags blow and the seat belt tensioners lock up.

Another thing to consider would be a small fire extinguisher and a glass hammer in case you need to break out a window.

I got a nice kit at Ace Harware a few years ago that had these in it along with a safety triangle, flares, etc.

We plan to add a handgun when we get to FL.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Ani, my Mom got t-boned in her yellow 1973 Beetle while working at the U of Miami. She didn't roll it but she still has to see the chiropractor every week. Small world.

The knife you will need to cut off your seat belt in case you roll or the airbags blow and the seat belt tensioners lock up.

Another thing to consider would be a small fire extinguisher and a glass hammer in case you need to break out a window.

I got a nice kit at Ace Harware a few years ago that had these in it along with a safety triangle, flares, etc.

We plan to add a handgun when we get to FL.
Ah, the mention of having to break out a window . . . I have this small device attached to the visor of both our cars . . . I have since seen others that are more like a hammer. I have no idea how well mine works as I have never tried it out!!!

Swiss+Tech ST81562 BodyGard Platinum Series XL 7-in-1 Auto Emergency Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive

Good idea about the fire extinguisher, too.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:47 PM

But, of course, do I have an extinguisher? No. Not even in the house or the barn. DOH!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:21 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,351,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Reading all these post makes me extra glad I live in Arizona!
Ah, but we desert dwellers fill our vehicle spaces with water. Lots and lots of water

Old 11-20-2013, 08:03 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Having an emergency kit in your vehicles is no more hoarding than keeping fire extinguishers, smoke and gas alarms, security systems, basic tools, spare keys, first aid supplies, extra blankets, and all the other emergency supplies you might need in your house. Find a way to safely stow that stuff in your new chariot; just make sure it's secure. Tom Mix died in a minor traffic accident while sitting in the back seat of a car. A sudden stop caused a suitcase on the rear ledge behind him to zoom forward breaking his neck.

Don't worry if they tell you you're a goofy old lady who should know that nothing ever goes wrong. They probably wouldn't use their seatbelts if they weren't afraid of a ticket.

When a man in Washington reported his wife missing on a winter night after she didn't return from a short trip police investigated and soon came to the conclusion that her husband had murdered her and hidden the car and her body. They dropped the search. Several days later she was found in her car next to the highway. She'd gone off the road but had not been visible in any way to passing motorists. Miraculously, she was alive. When I read of this I bought two emergency beacons for each vehicle, one that plugs into the cigarette socket that's visible for over a mile and a second one powered by a D-cell with a clip to attach it to clothing or a pack. Even if the beacons weren't directly visible people would see the refections and light scatter.

Safety is like love and money. You can never have too much of any of them.
Several friends have called me really nuts because of my emergency gear, which I learned to pack when I worked for the American Red Cross. I am a natural at putting together survival gear.

The old man now says I need to dispense of all that I took out of my Corolla and is now sitting in the l.r. in boxes. It just never occurred to me when buying the Subaru that there's no place for this gear unless I get a Thule and roof rack. I need the way-back for the dog carrier, and the back seats for the infant carriers.

Somehow I've misplaced my mini-axe that I was sure was in my Corolla trunk. I must find that, it's a great tool to have along with rope and tarps, etc. Now you're all probably convinced I'm a serial killer, or certifiably insane, lol. Laugh all you want, I will be the one prepared for anything.

One year I gave each of my kids a Red Cross first aid kit for Christmas presents, and two got a fire escape ladder for their residences. This year they get fire extinguishers and head lamps. As you can see, I'm not a romantic about gifts.

Never thought of the beacons. Where do you get them and how much cost?

Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Ah, the mention of having to break out a window . . . I have this small device attached to the visor of both our cars . . . I have since seen others that are more like a hammer. I have no idea how well mine works as I have never tried it out!!!

Swiss+Tech ST81562 BodyGard Platinum Series XL 7-in-1 Auto Emergency Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive

Good idea about the fire extinguisher, too.
Thank you, ani! I love tools like this and will order for everyone soon.

Maybe we ought to have a "survival skills thread for seniors," lol. It's one subject I'm passionate about. Should I start one?

Old 11-20-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Tic Tacs count! lol

List of items in my car: downfilled blanket, set of jumper cables, set of tire chains, carpet brush, de-icing brush/scraper, doggie seat cover (waterproof), flashlight (heavy duty), basket with wheels, plastic rain poncho, Altoids, iPhone charger.

In the next two weeks, I will be looking for sandbags (to place over back tire wells) as my Audi is a "crossover" and I like to have the extra weight in the cargo section for weight/traction on slick roads.

I have been in situations where I needed all of those items.

I have used the sandbags when my car has slid off the road . . . slit them to add friction to the ice surface.
Does the Audi have all-wheel drive? (I don't know the diff between all-wheel and four-wheel, but this is the first time I've had either. The Forester has all-wheel.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement