Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 10:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Agree. One Thread that was moved, someone who wasn't taught manners, made a smart aleck remark;
for myself, Post on Woman Retiring alone. May come here too!
I hate to see this forum become inactive due to all the threads with very valuable info being moved to other "more topic specific" forums. It has been so helpful having the info in one place for reference.

So my info for the day . . . I need to have a tree removed and it has turned into a really big deal and although I feared it would be more expensive, still - $500 isn't something to sneeze at . . .

One of the aspects of getting older that has hit me the last 3 years is not being able to physically do many of the things I (and my husband) did for ourselves in the past, such as all the yard upkeep. It has really made me think about such unforeseen (but really - pretty predictable) deterrents to home ownership. We know we are going to have to replace various appliances, roof, etc along the way . . . but such things as tree removal, replacing a heat pump, etc. can really mess up the budget.

It was only a few years ago, b/f my husband's health went into a decline, that he was creating pergolas, decks, benches, screens, etc - as that was always something he enjoyed. And I was pruning even large trees, helping build rock walls, etc.

We just can't do those things any longer - I have injured my shoulder and the rehab is not really improving my situation - guess that is something I will have to always be aware of - that my shoulder is never going to be like it was b/f the injury.

It is frustrating not to be able to do the things we once could - especially when those things were enjoyable and something we had a good time planning for and executing together.

So that is my thought for today. Home ownership is a blessing and a real pain in the behind sometimes. Lately, renting (with a landlord who has to worry about that roof replacement!) is starting to seem more feasible to me and I have never even considered that. I always felt that security as one got older meant having a home - especially one that is paid for. Now I am starting to wonder if that is always the best thing to do.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So my info for the day . . . I need to have a tree removed and it has turned into a really big deal and although I feared it would be more expensive, still - $500 isn't something to sneeze at . . .
I once had to have three dead trees removed. I was given a price over a thousand. So I ran an ad in the paper.

Free firewood. You chop it down.

I must have gotten fifty calls. Needless to say, the trees were soon gone.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:46 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

So that is my thought for today. Home ownership is a blessing and a real pain in the behind sometimes. Lately, renting (with a landlord who has to worry about that roof replacement!) is starting to seem more feasible to me and I have never even considered that. I always felt that security as one got older meant having a home - especially one that is paid for. Now I am starting to wonder if that is always the best thing to do.
It's always a bummer when we have to spend big $$ for something like tree removal - in the end, what do you have to show for it? Unlike something new for the house (deck, flooring etc...).

The renting vs owning issue has been debated and debated and it gets down to each person's circumstances. Best to put pen to paper and do the math, allowing for yearly rent increases, trees, roofs etc... This house is nearly paid for and when I buy the next one - I'm hoping I can pay cash. I have no doubt I will be ahead of the game even with the usual maintenance issues. I will be lord & master of my domain (better stay out of an HOA).

OK - my air conditioning went kapputz - I knew this would happen since it was old when I moved in here 18 years ago. I rarely used it - only about 1 week of really hot sticky weather - but this summer we are on week 3 of the stuff (we've had about 2 days of normal temps).

But I agree with the decreased energy levels. As much as I like putzin outside, I have a hugh yard and the energy is gone when I finish to come inside and look around at what needs to be done. My next abode will be smaller and will have a much smaller yard.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I once had to have three dead trees removed. I was given a price over a thousand. So I ran an ad in the paper.

Where were you when I had to have 3 taken down several years ago!!!! Can't remember what I paid but it was $800-$1000.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

That was such a great solution!

Sadly, this oak was hit by lightning 2 years ago. We thought it was going to make it but it should have been removed last year. It has rotted so quickly - and the arborist said it was not due to any disease. I find it really amazing that a tree could be hit by lightning and go into this dramatic a demise over such a short period. Thank goodness it is not a huge tree. The rot is so bad that pieces of the tree have fallen off over the winter, and there are no limbs left! The last piece hit my deck this past week and I said - that's it - we can no longer ignore it . . . if it fell, it would likely hit the side of that deck, but more worrisome is . . . we grill on that deck! I had not realized what a risk we had put ourselves in by not removing the tree sooner.

We had a really large tree damaged by a freak tornado 7 years ago. We had to get a crane in to remove it. The bill was $2200. That was a very bitter pill to swallow. I tried to make a deal w/ the guys to take the wood and shave some cost off the tree removal but they weren't interested. I ended up giving the wood away! Now, I am going to put a wood stove in this house -- hopefully, this Fall. Wish this rotten tree could be the beginnings of my wood pile.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
It's always a bummer when we have to spend big $$ for something like tree removal - in the end, what do you have to show for it? Unlike something new for the house (deck, flooring etc...).

The renting vs owning issue has been debated and debated and it gets down to each person's circumstances. Best to put pen to paper and do the math, allowing for yearly rent increases, trees, roofs etc... This house is nearly paid for and when I buy the next one - I'm hoping I can pay cash. I have no doubt I will be ahead of the game even with the usual maintenance issues. I will be lord & master of my domain (better stay out of an HOA).

OK - my air conditioning went kapputz - I knew this would happen since it was old when I moved in here 18 years ago. I rarely used it - only about 1 week of really hot sticky weather - but this summer we are on week 3 of the stuff (we've had about 2 days of normal temps).

But I agree with the decreased energy levels. As much as I like putzin outside, I have a hugh yard and the energy is gone when I finish to come inside and look around at what needs to be done. My next abode will be smaller and will have a much smaller yard.
Yes, this is such an individual decision . . . rent or own outright. I don't know that I will ever be happy not owning my home -- I need that feeling of security.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
Anifan1821,

An 1.22 acre of land our home rests, as my late DH so much enjoyed taking care of it for 18 years, mostly field grass, two ditches, he realized he would rather be doing something else. We traveled to Franklin, NC, 2008, fell in love with it as well as the people in NC. Note: We attended a fair in Sylva, while I went to a car, my husband was sitting on a hay bale,his cane by his side, a local gentleman came by, started talking to my husband like an old friend! My husband was
so happy about this experience.

We were planning to visit Hendersonville, NC, look into purchasing a condo after possibly renting for a while. Make
sure it would be our last move. DH (Darling Husband), during his last months on Earth, he talked about moving to NC.

Am thinking of moving, looking into a move to NC, though do not know about driving on icy, mountain roads; possibly
Eastern TN, Knoxville area? Others say why not stay here-Olympic Peninsula, WA. The weather is ideal though grey
days can get to you 9/10 months of the year. Moved from near Sacramento, so know what heat is like-90's-100's for
4 months, it would cool off in the evening.

Know about HOA, though am seriously praying about a condo. Husband died February, 2012, reality is settling in, just do
not know what to do. One day at a time.

42nd anniversary this would of been for us. Not to be a downer, just wish we could have relocated first. God is good.
Our last words to each other "I Love You."

Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
In my town there is a charming white brick bungalow with the front door surrounded by red roses. The entire front yard has been planted in either lavender or lilac colored heather (don't know which). It's a perennial and never needs cutting and it looks gorgeous. I'm also a big fan of ground cover instead of grass; plant individual ivy or pachysandra six or more inches apart and it spreads rapidly. Never have to mow again, and the root system retains water and prevents soil erosion. Worth every penny.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Anifan1821,

Husband died February, 2012, reality is settling in, just do not know what to do. One day at a time.

42nd anniversary this would of been for us. Not to be a downer, just wish we could have relocated first. God is good.
So sorry for your loss. Seriously suggest you wait a few more months before you make a decision about moving. Consider what would occupy your time, hobbies, friends, family, organizations, etc. Consider renting before buying so you are sure you made the right choice.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Anifan1821,

An 1.22 acre of land our home rests, as my late DH so much enjoyed taking care of it for 18 years, mostly field grass, two ditches, he realized he would rather be doing something else. We traveled to Franklin, NC, 2008, fell in love with it as well as the people in NC. Note: We attended a fair in Sylva, while I went to a car, my husband was sitting on a hay bale,his cane by his side, a local gentleman came by, started talking to my husband like an old friend! My husband was
so happy about this experience.

We were planning to visit Hendersonville, NC, look into purchasing a condo after possibly renting for a while. Make
sure it would be our last move. DH (Darling Husband), during his last months on Earth, he talked about moving to NC.

Am thinking of moving, looking into a move to NC, though do not know about driving on icy, mountain roads; possibly
Eastern TN, Knoxville area? Others say why not stay here-Olympic Peninsula, WA. The weather is ideal though grey
days can get to you 9/10 months of the year. Moved from near Sacramento, so know what heat is like-90's-100's for
4 months, it would cool off in the evening.

Know about HOA, though am seriously praying about a condo. Husband died February, 2012, reality is settling in, just do
not know what to do. One day at a time.

Awwwww . . . loved your story about Franklin, NC. Wonderful folks in western NC -- I agree.

My hubby is from St. Louis originally and spent most of his life in the Kansas City region. The day I knew he loved Boone, he relayed a similar story.

I ran into the local grocery store (this was 20 years or so ago) and he was sitting outside on a bench in front of the store. He said as he sat there, folks would come by and ask how he was doing . . . a couple stopped and asked about a recommendation on a restaurant . . . an older gentleman came by and talked and then introduced himself and shook hubby's hand . . . another gentleman offered him a newspaper to read while he was sitting there . . . DH said - "I felt like I was the Mayor of Boone!" lol.

I am so sorry to hear about your husband's passing. You must have been very close and I can only imagine what a void you have felt, not having him physically beside you any longer.

You asked me a question and I will give you my thoughts . . . Although I have not lost a spouse, I have friends (and a sister) who have - and one of the things they all told me in the years after their husband's death was - they either wished they had taken more time to make decisions (as a new widow), or they were glad they did take a lot of time b/f making any major changes.

I would suggest that you consider taking a trip to any place you are considering moving and see how it feels being there alone. Part of the magic may have well been because you were sharing special moments with your husband. You may not feel that same warmth and "this is home" certainty returning by yourself. But the reality is - you are going to need to build your life on your own now, so you do need to be sure wherever you choose to move - that it makes YOU feel totally at home.

I would not be in a hurry to make a change, but would spend my coming months researching and possibly taking some trips to see what "vibe" you pick up from any area you are thinking about.

Take your time! It's a big country out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement