U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-23-2013, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Florida
20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Reputation: 23757

Advertisements

Fa La La Umbria. If memory serves me right and you are the one that put on a picture of your fall decorations, I'd love to see one for this season. You (if it was you It was wonderfully tasteful.

Unnecessary guilt but felt it anyway today and know I'll have to fight it it more times over the next month.
I realize now that it was a mistake to drop a large donation in the first Salvation Army pot yesterday.
Now, as I pass by all the others, I feel like they're thinking I'm ignoring them and being stingy.
Next year, I'll portion it out so I can drop some in each one.

 
Old 11-23-2013, 05:04 PM
 
Location: SoCal
6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Reputation: 5882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
...
What was I thinking moving here? We should have moved to San Diego, no matter how much it costs....
See whether this helps you get over not being in San Diego.

A few posts back you talked about people seeing cars go over embankments in metro areas. San Diego is the exception, because we're all canyoons and mesas. It happens maybe every other year that a car goes over, and its a few or even several days before it's seen.
 
Old 11-23-2013, 05:18 PM
 
Location: SoCal
6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Reputation: 5882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
What we do to amuse ourselves must vary enormously. I don't mean our main hobbies and activities, but little things. Do any of the rest of you notice when your seat belts lock when you generate enough lateral g-forces when cornering? It's not hard to do.
...
Maybe I should have made a poll about this, but I fear no one else would be interested. So I'm just asking - who has noticed any of the above? Are we all little old ladies (and gentlemen) from Pasadena? Or do I have any fellow retirement posters who actually enjoy driving - I mean REAL driving?
Yes, in our Mazda 3 when DH decides to take a corner at speed. I HATE it because it usually dislodges me in my seat, and because the !@#$%* seat belt is locked, I can't put myself back into place!
 
Old 11-23-2013, 07:18 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
My post had so many typos, I'm glad you still got the message
Typos don't count on forums, chat, emails, etc unless for business use!

My rule, anyway.
 
Old 11-23-2013, 07:28 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
What we do to amuse ourselves must vary enormously. I don't mean our main hobbies and activities, but little things. Do any of the rest of you notice when your seat belts lock when you generate enough lateral g-forces when cornering? It's not hard to do.

But the other day I had a unique experience. I have a turbo-charged Mazda Speed3, and I noticed the seat belts lock when I was accelerating hard in a straight line! Although I have had the car for 6 years, it was the first time I noticed that. It must have happened before without my noticing, I would imagine.

Most of the rest of you probably don't have cars which would accelerate hard enough in a straight line to lock the belts, but cornering will do it in the pokiest of cars. In my old 1993 Ford Escort - probably the slowest car on the road (getting up to 90 seems to take all day and that seems to be its top speed!) I frequently lock the belts by cornering.

Maybe I should have made a poll about this, but I fear no one else would be interested. So I'm just asking - who has noticed any of the above? Are we all little old ladies (and gentlemen) from Pasadena? Or do I have any fellow retirement posters who actually enjoy driving - I mean REAL driving?
Oh yeah. I have an Audi Quattro with Tiptronic . . . love to drive and used to race when I was into 911s and Sports Car Club of America (SCCA). Son and I still do rallies with various clubs (and by ourselves on several back roads here in the mountains, lol) . . . And yes, the seat belt drives me bananas in any car when it locks like that.

I love to drive. I am thinking about driving back to Kansas City for Christmas. That's about 1000 miles and I like to start out early in the morning and do it in one day (traffic and weather conditions must be decent to allow that kind of driving).

However, this time of year . . . Opryland has the most beautiful Christmas displays. So it would be fun to drive to Nashville, stay over at Opryland, have breakfast, then head on to KCMO.

I miss sitting outside at my favorite restaurant with the heaters blazing and the snow falling . . . it sounds crazy but I loved it.
 
Old 11-23-2013, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh yeah. I have an Audi Quattro with Tiptronic . . . love to drive and used to race when I was into 911s and Sports Car Club of America (SCCA). Son and I still do rallies with various clubs (and by ourselves on several back roads here in the mountains, lol) . . . And yes, the seat belt drives me bananas in any car when it locks like that.

I love to drive. I am thinking about driving back to Kansas City for Christmas. That's about 1000 miles and I like to start out early in the morning and do it in one day (traffic and weather conditions must be decent to allow that kind of driving).

However, this time of year . . . Opryland has the most beautiful Christmas displays. So it would be fun to drive to Nashville, stay over at Opryland, have breakfast, then head on to KCMO.

I miss sitting outside at my favorite restaurant with the heaters blazing and the snow falling . . . it sounds crazy but I loved it.
Doesn't sound crazy to me. You never cease to amaze.
 
Old 11-23-2013, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Fa La La Umbria. If memory serves me right and you are the one that put on a picture of your fall decorations, I'd love to see one for this season. You (if it was you It was wonderfully tasteful.

Unnecessary guilt but felt it anyway today and know I'll have to fight it it more times over the next month.
I realize now that it was a mistake to drop a large donation in the first Salvation Army pot yesterday.
Now, as I pass by all the others, I feel like they're thinking I'm ignoring them and being stingy.
Next year, I'll portion it out so I can drop some in each one.
That was Cattknap. I'm not good at pics but will post one when I'm done.
 
Old 11-24-2013, 02:49 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Reputation: 23757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
That was Cattknap. I'm not good at pics but will post one when I'm done.
Another bit of proof of CRS.
But will look forward to yours too
 
Old 11-24-2013, 11:19 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Doesn't sound crazy to me. You never cease to amaze.
I don't know about the "amaze" part, Escort. I think my family and close friends would say I am pretty pedantic, a creature of routine . . . and tenacious as all get out when I make my mind up that I want to accomplish something. The one thing about my personality that keeps me from being utterly boring is that I am enthralled with whatever feels/appears magical . . . from decor to food to venues to music, and so forth. I collect and catalog magical moments and do my best to recreate them.
 
Old 11-24-2013, 04:24 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
Ani that restaurant sounds magical.

My Dad was a flagger in the SCCA back in the 70s. He was at Watkins Glen during the famed bus burning in the bog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top