U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 07:42 PM

1,959 posts, read 1,029,782 times

Advertisements

the medicare supplement insurance thread (can't remember the name) has been moved. Does that mean we have a new moderator?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:02 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
the medicare supplement insurance thread (can't remember the name) has been moved. Does that mean we have a new moderator?
No. It means that "a" moderator decided to move it, one of the moderators. This forum is team moderated now and any moderator can step in and do things. Since we are team moderated, it is up to us to hit the report button up top if something is amiss--more important than before when we had a regular mod reading the posts.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:19 PM

18,852 posts, read 32,041,543 times
Ah, the energy of the young. Amazing. My daughter is 30 years younger than me, and just keeps going!

I have heard of women my age, having babies! Crazy! My age, I think they are nice to play with, for a brief period of time. Back to their mamas!

Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Has anyone here heard of Plaid Friday? I just found out about it through my local bookseller. Begun in Oakland, it's starting to catch on nationally. It's a counter to Black Friday (coming our way this week) when everyone rushes to the big box stores in a stampede (I remember several incidents in which big box store employees or customers got trampled and at least one died).

Anyway, Plaid Friday celebrates local businesses, which typically contribute 51% back to the community in contrast to big box stores' typical 13.5% (within the market that hosts the store). When I found that out I started to pay attention. My bookseller is having nationally known authors by the hour, and hot cider and donuts in an open house. Small "Main Street" shops have great things to offer. Many artisans are opening their studios for sales, and on a lesser level, church holiday craft fairs where you can get handknit scarves and hats and all manner of handmade things are in full swing. Local honey and maple syrup and cheese operations too.

I love to shop local and will again avoid the stampede. I also love the idea of contributing to the community during a season in which it's impossible not to be materialistic. Another thing is that some shops and churches have collections for food for the local food pantry. Here is Oakland's site

Oakland Grown: locally owned businesses and artists in Oakland, CA

Old 11-25-2013, 07:32 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Not sure what the path will be, but this is heading to the Northeast from across the country

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/deadly-p...ard-northeast/

Those traveling or with relatives traveling may want to carry some emergency gear.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Your link is good newenglandgirl.

We are watching it, a friend has travel plans from NY to TX on Wednesday so we are praying for safe passage.

Haven't heard of plaid Friday. I don't participate in Black Friday, never have. Spare me the insanity.

I go into 'town' on Saturdays, a 32 mile trek to procure supplies for the week. That's it, done. Friday is chiroprator day. We don't get out much and we like it that way.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:15 PM

2,907 posts, read 4,630,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Has anyone here heard of Plaid Friday? I just found out about it through my local bookseller. Begun in Oakland, it's starting to catch on nationally. It's a counter to Black Friday (coming our way this week) when everyone rushes to the big box stores in a stampede (I remember several incidents in which big box store employees or customers got trampled and at least one died).
Have not heard of Plaid Friday...I guess it hasn't made it to my part of the East Coast yet. A number of the small/independent businesses in my area are promoting "Small Business Saturday". I fully intend to try to support as many of the smaller businesses this holiday season as I can. We darn near lost my favorite independent bookstore last year, even though I had been a loyal customer. Don't want to see something like that happen to any of my favorite little stores.

Small Business Saturday | November 30, 2013 | SBA.gov

I will not be participating in the Black Friday circus. There is NOTHING that I need so badly that I will subject myself to the crowds-of-crazies on that particular day.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:58 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Have not heard of Plaid Friday...I guess it hasn't made it to my part of the East Coast yet. A number of the small/independent businesses in my area are promoting "Small Business Saturday". I fully intend to try to support as many of the smaller businesses this holiday season as I can. We darn near lost my favorite independent bookstore last year, even though I had been a loyal customer. Don't want to see something like that happen to any of my favorite little stores.
I guess some people just like to pay more. For my part, I'll take the businesses that treat me right, that is, give me the best value.

I don't think I've been in a physical bookstore for six or seven years. But I'm sure that I've bought at least a thousand books in that time, both new and used. I would have likely spent almost twice as much for the same books at small stores and not that much less at the big physical stores.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:49 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Where NEG lives there is a small city that used to have the most wonderful shopping discount day. I used to live there, grew up not too far away, and as long as you picked up a shopping bag you could fill it with whatever you wanted and get a discount.

They had amazing shops and it was a lot more fun than driving all the way to a mall, trying to find a place to park, and fighting the crowds. I used to go the night before and pick out the things I wanted and then, on the big day, I'd get there just as the shops opened and STRIKE! heh heh. The atmosphere was jovial and you knew you were supporting the local shop owners.

One time I held the door open for someone who was dressed in a strange costume and Lo! and Behold! He was followed by a troupe of carolers dressed in festive outfits! As a reward for holding the door, they all assembled there and sang--to me. (blush). It was just plain fun and non stressful Christmas shopping there.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Wow that's a def Kodak moment. What a great memory to have.

Christmas Eve DH cleans up nicely. It is the one day of the year he takes me shopping. We go to K Mart and look at the DVD's, but gifts for my adopted Mom (they like candy) and he picks out a cold six pack. Then we're off to our jeweler, whom we have known for 22 years. He and his wife and their four kids will be there. They give us a glass of wine and we watch the happy people come and go in the store. I will pick out a Pandora charm for my BFF, one for my sterling bracelet and one for my gold one. A merry day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement