U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 11:50 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Ani that restaurant sounds magical.

My Dad was a flagger in the SCCA back in the 70s. He was at Watkins Glen during the famed bus burning in the bog.
On a winter's night, with the lights on the plaza reflecting off the snow . . . yes, it is quite magical!

Oh my goodness! I bet your Dad has been in on some epic moments over the years! I have only raced on tracks in NC, SC, GA -- and of course, rallies on scenic back roads . . . I should have known my son would also have the "bug" -- his father and I met through a sports car group, lol. It was one thing we enjoyed sharing and in the end, it was not a very good basis for a longterm relationship!!!!

Old 11-26-2013, 11:58 AM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
On a winter's night, with the lights on the plaza reflecting off the snow . . . yes, it is quite magical!

Oh my goodness! I bet your Dad has been in on some epic moments over the years! I have only raced on tracks in NC, SC, GA -- and of course, rallies on scenic back roads . . . I should have known my son would also have the "bug" -- his father and I met through a sports car group, lol. It was one thing we enjoyed sharing and in the end, it was not a very good basis for a longterm relationship!!!!
Your post brought up a very nice memory for me, talking about the lights reflecting off the snow. When I lived in No. Idaho we didn't have electricity etc. where we lived so had to use lamps and I had a red railroad lamp hanging on the front porch that was lit every night. One night I was walking up the driveway, coming home from work, and saw my little house in the distance. Those warm and inviting lights were soooo pretty and the snow was really clean and beautiful. I just stood there staring at it till I got so cold I had to move. lol I still see it in my mind and even though it was dark it was easy to see. I think it would've made a great Christmas card.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Your post brought up a very nice memory for me, talking about the lights reflecting off the snow. When I lived in No. Idaho we didn't have electricity etc. where we lived so had to use lamps and I had a red railroad lamp hanging on the front porch that was lit every night. One night I was walking up the driveway, coming home from work, and saw my little house in the distance. Those warm and inviting lights were soooo pretty and the snow was really clean and beautiful. I just stood there staring at it till I got so cold I had to move. lol I still see it in my mind and even though it was dark it was easy to see. I think it would've made a great Christmas card.
That is a beautiful memory, AZ! I can see that it would be a wonderful Christmas card!

There is something about snow . . . the world changes form.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:28 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Snowing here now!

Ani, I still have his denim jacket with a patch sewn on it for every track he flagged at. A lot of the tracks are extinct.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Attachment 121536
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Snow in November and December in New England is always magical, and your memory makes me appreciate it the way a child does when s/he first sees snow. I have no idea where Idaho is, lol, but it sounds like a place that would have that kind of magic deep in winter. I wonder if you might write a poem about this, as the images are evocative.

PS: Couldn't resist looking up Idaho, found it on the map, and this winter image:
Attached Thumbnails
Chat Thread-onlinetodayski121311.jpg  

Last edited by RiverBird; 11-26-2013 at 03:55 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 04:12 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
That is a beautiful memory to keep.

This morning there was a little bit of snow on the ground here but it was soon gone.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Snowing here now!

Ani, I still have his denim jacket with a patch sewn on it for every track he flagged at. A lot of the tracks are extinct.
We are waiting for the snow (I am back in Charlotte - the mountains will have a bona fide snowstorm!) The snow here will most likely be only for a few hours, so the meteorologists are saying. I just pray it isn't an ice storm.

Your jacket is quite a memento!!! I wish I had created something like that. I took it for granted that there would always be another memory and never stopped to think that one day, it would just be over.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is a beautiful memory, AZ! I can see that it would be a wonderful Christmas card!

There is something about snow . . . the world changes form.
Yeah, snow can cover a multitude of 'sins'. lol When I moved to Fairbanks, AK the end of April one year there was still plenty of snow around and I thought it was so pretty! Well, when all that pretty stuff melted I was amazed at all the JUNK it covered up. I love snow...to look at.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Attachment 121536

Snow in November and December in New England is always magical, and your memory makes me appreciate it the way a child does when s/he first sees snow. I have no idea where Idaho is, lol, but it sounds like a place that would have that kind of magic deep in winter. I wonder if you might write a poem about this, as the images are evocative.

PS: Couldn't resist looking up Idaho, found it on the map, and this winter image:
That pic could be the road to my house up there. lol We lived 50 miles from Canada up in the Panhandle. So much snow we couldn't drive in and out to our place from Halloween to Easter and that pic shows what we did a LOT of in the winter. Going to town was an all day trip. Sometimes we took the 4 wheeler and sled if we had to haul a bunch of stuff up there. The chained up vehicles were parked a mile or two away. It was an adventure, to be sure, but I don't wanna do it again. lol

My poetic skills are nil but the images in my head are intact.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That is a beautiful memory to keep.

This morning there was a little bit of snow on the ground here but it was soon gone.
Now that's the kind of snow I like! lol We got some snow out of this last storm! The very top of the mountain is white and I think the ski lifts in Flagstaff are open now. It'll be gone in a couple of days and, in fact, is probably mostly gone now. I haven't been outside to look today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement