U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 06:44 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,721,902 times

Advertisements

After reading all the posts here about the weather you are getting, I feel blessed this year, SO FAR. It has been what we call an open winter but that could change anytime. Today it is a heavy mist falling and the 3" of snow we got several days is almost gone. Temperature at the moment is about 38 and isn't supposed to drop through out the day. I know it has been a real hardship out in Colorado and many other mid western states. Hope it improves soon for all of you.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:59 AM

2,614 posts, read 1,260,435 times
I'm just sitting here drinking my second cup of coffee. The fireplace (and central heating) is going, the ground is covered with a layer of freezing rain, sleet, and now snow (This all started yesterday about 11 a.m.) It's a whopping 17 degrees right now with a low expected tonight of around 1 degree. This is unusual weather for us here in SW Oklahoma.

It's been a LONG time since it's been this cold this early in the season. I'm so thankful I don't have to get out to go to work in this stuff. I'm also glad all schools in the area are closed and my working friends can stay home today.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:06 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,400,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
After reading all the posts here about the weather you are getting, I feel blessed this year, SO FAR. It has been what we call an open winter but that could change anytime. Today it is a heavy mist falling and the 3" of snow we got several days is almost gone. Temperature at the moment is about 38 and isn't supposed to drop through out the day. I know it has been a real hardship out in Colorado and many other mid western states. Hope it improves soon for all of you.
Yes here in Southern New England we've had it easy so far, mild temps and a few stretches without the wood stove on at all (the house is well insulated). So weird considering the huge Oct 30 blizzard with power outages two years ago. The weather seems to be more and more uncharacteristic. I wouldn't mind the entire winter being this way, somewhere between 35 and 65 degrees. More likely a Nor'easter will slam us pretty soon.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Three other gents: there's Professor Robert (50's, teaches at Drexel University, living here for 9 years after divorcing his crazy wife, very dapper, went to Harvard), Chef Joe (59 ... same as me, executive chef, part Italian part Portuguese, part Chinese - just learned he was adopted, has a son and a daughter in their 30's), Handyman Rod (45, lives here part-time between work projects, besides being a carpenter/painter/also light electrician and plumbing he loves decorating and doing window treatments) ... and finally there is Officer Clark (me).
Have you room for an Italian-French nana (good for spirited conversations)?

Old 12-06-2013, 01:03 PM

22,634 posts, read 12,679,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Have you room for an Italian-French nana (good for spirited conversations)?
I don't know, negirl, when Officer Clark gets off duty he likes to tear off his hot polyester uniform and walk around the house - Victorian elegance notwithstanding - in his undershirt and boxers ... not a pretty site I assure you!

Old 12-06-2013, 02:00 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,583,835 times
Quote:
Three other gents: there's Professor Robert (50's, teaches at Drexel University, living here for 9 years after divorcing his crazy wife, very dapper, went to Harvard), Chef Joe (59 ... same as me, executive chef, part Italian part Portuguese, part Chinese - just learned he was adopted, has a son and a daughter in their 30's), Handyman Rod (45, lives here part-time between work projects, besides being a carpenter/painter/also light electrician and plumbing he loves decorating and doing window treatments) ... and finally there is Officer Clark (me).
It sounds like a wonderful arrangement. Two chefs, a teach and a handyman who decorates! Are you former military Clark? what discipline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Sounds like an interesting bunch - you've got it all covered.
IMO would be the makings of a great movie or sitcom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Went up to The Burgs yesterday for a bit of needed shopping and on the way home heard a report from Appalachian Electric Power about their plans for possible outages on Sunday due to ice storm. I made a mental check list of things to get done in advance while we have one more day of warm weather here.

The main chore is to fill the garden cart a few times in order to get more firewood up to the 8 ft racks on the front porch since they are both about half empty already. I'll also get a couple of loads of laundry done, bring in the Coleman stove and a couple of canisters to run it and make sure that the Kindle is fully charged up.

About 11:30 pm the power went out here and for much of Floyd, Roanoke and Franklin counties - guess it was a sneak preview of what we might have in a couple of days. Power came back on about 5:45 this morning.

So odd to have temps here be much warmer than back in my old stompin' grounds of Oakland for a few days.
Yes, bracing for the 2 to 5 inches of snow we are expecting here, too. Prep up and good luck!

Quote:
I don't know, negirl, when Officer Clark gets off duty he likes to tear off his hot polyester uniform and walk around the house - Victorian elegance notwithstanding - in his undershirt and boxers ... not a pretty site I assure you!
LOL we could be there in a matter of hours, draw the shades Clark!

innewengland, ne_girl, our snow was almost completely gone thanks to the warm, dense fog last night with the warmer temps.

Lucky me, we picked up Big Mommas ride from the shop and all week long feared not being able to drive her up the hill to her winter resting place on the hill behind the barn. I didn't even have to floor it. She is parked on her tarp with her car cover bungeed on tight. Laying down for a long winters' rest.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Are you former military Clark? what discipline?
Not really. Quasi-military ... 3 1/2 years in the Royal Merchant Navy of the UK (here in the US it would be the "Merchant Marine").

Old 12-06-2013, 03:59 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,583,835 times
O, my, waaay cool. How long have you been stateside?

It's still nice out, our snow is not until after midnight. Here's hoping you're all warm and safe.

Reports of widespread outages in Colorado, might be the reason Jim has not posted, they could last a week or more. There is a semi interesting thread on the latest blast of weather.

Last edited by CCc girl; 12-06-2013 at 04:53 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I brought up 3 boys. Nothing fazes me.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
O, my, waaay cool. How long have you been stateside?
Ummm ... I'm American. I was actually born in New York City. I have a New York accent, something that Philly people can detect even though the Philly and New Jersey accents are not much different. (Philly people do say "wooder" for "water" and our football team is the "Iggles" not the "Eagles.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I brought up 3 boys. Nothing fazes me.
Oh my. Visions of dirty socks lying around and sticky bedsheets come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement