U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-07-2013, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Reputation: 15656

Advertisements

I've seen two films in the last week, Philomena (Judi Dench) and The Book Thief. Although both had some fine moments, I was disappointed in both and wonder how truly great movies get to be great. How a "movie" becomes real art. Part of it has to do, imo, with the camerawork, which in these two films works overtime on "sensitive" moments. That self-consciousness detracts from authenticity and reminds me of why I prefer books. That said, both films are a lot better than most out there. Wondering what others have to say about these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2013, 05:29 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
Reputation: 34695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Correction: New Jerseyans never say "Joisey" ... that would be closer to a Brooklyn accent. If you listen very carefully to natives of either North Jersey (NYC metro) or South Jersey (Philly metro) it actually sounds more like "Jearsey."

My parents were both from Manhattan and college educated so their accent was not the stereotypical "Brooklynese" that we associate with Archie Bunker, Ralph Kramden, or the cast of Car 54 Where Are You. Our New York accents were closer to Rudolph Giuliani, Michael Bloomberg, Phil Silvers, and the late Gilda Radner.

When I was in the Royal Merchant Navy, the Brits could not distinguish my accent only that they knew it was American and not "Southern." Southerners likewise can tell I'm a Yankee from the northeast, but when I tell them I'm from Philly they assume it's where I'm originally from and my parents as well ... they cannot discern the subtle differences.
You're right, of course. I must not be in my accent mode today. You know how sometimes you can really tune in and you can also do a good accent? Other times, not. I think it's the Lon Giland accent that I think of as NY anyway.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2013, 11:51 PM
 
10,849 posts, read 8,193,902 times
Reputation: 17170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
I was on the bus the other day when an obese lady boarded. She glared at us and said, "Isn't anyone going to offer me a seat?" I promptly got up and said, "I would be happy to make a small contribution!"
Lady was rude, no doubt. Were you? Are you willing to keep an open mind on that?
Ted Talk, Peter Attia: What if?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2013, 05:04 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,928,294 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Lady was rude, no doubt. Were you? Are you willing to keep an open mind on that?
Ted Talk, Peter Attia: What if?
Can't you recognize a joke? It never happened. I don't ride the bus. I would never say that in real life anyway. It was just a joke, no more, no less. The disconnect between "courtesy" and the supposed response I made was intentional, was part of the tongue-in-cheek nature of the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2013, 06:14 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
Reputation: 7530
The last movie I saw in a theater was Return of the Jedi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2013, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,113 posts, read 20,232,587 times
Reputation: 23739
Strange occurrence...brought the husband home from the hospital yesterday and after awhile realized he still was sporting his IV catheter.
The nurse was a sweet little girl and overworked as so many hospital RN's are these days and I know she would get in a lot of trouble for having let this slip by her . I really don't want that to happen so I just gave it overnight to make sure the last Heparin shot has worn off and will play 'nurse' as soon as he wakes up.
This is one hospital that isn't going to get a very complimentary review when they send out the survey so other complaints, several to do with understaffing, should cover this since mentioning it specifically would lead back to her.
Then, the other side of my brain says it should be brought up even if it gets her in hot water.
Do you argue with yourself often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2013, 06:38 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
Reputation: 7530
An it harm none, do what ye will.

And yes, I have trouble with life's injustices, big and small.

This could be your nurse in the future, is it really worth a black mark on her record, especially when the pool is shrinking and with that comes less qualified and intelligent people entering the field?

JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2013, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Strange occurrence...brought the husband home from the hospital yesterday and after awhile realized he still was sporting his IV catheter.
The nurse was a sweet little girl and overworked as so many hospital RN's are these days and I know she would get in a lot of trouble for having let this slip by her . I really don't want that to happen so I just gave it overnight to make sure the last Heparin shot has worn off and will play 'nurse' as soon as he wakes up.
This is one hospital that isn't going to get a very complimentary review when they send out the survey so other complaints, several to do with understaffing, should cover this since mentioning it specifically would lead back to her.
Then, the other side of my brain says it should be brought up even if it gets her in hot water.
Do you argue with yourself often?


All the time.

I think you made a very good decision based on very good reasoning. Not many are so understanding. Kudos to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2013, 06:52 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
Reputation: 7530
old_cold, I missed it when you said you were letting it go, sorry.......dummy me. Glad he's out of the hospital, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2013, 06:53 AM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
Reputation: 34695
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
An it harm none, do what ye will.

And yes, I have trouble with life's injustices, big and small.

This could be your nurse in the future, is it really worth a black mark on her record, especially when the pool is shrinking and with that comes less qualified and intelligent people entering the field?

JMHO
I would report it on the survey but I'm skeptical that it will do any good. The hospital is understaffed to save money but I bet the administrators make plenty. Maybe there's a chance that it won't be seen as a mark against the nurse but a mark against the hospital, as it should be. Is there anyone you can go to about the understaffing?
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top