U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 03:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,166,556 times

Advertisements

On a different note, remember Bob Barker (The Price is Right)?

He's going to die broke helping animals ~ great guy!

Bob Barker returns to "The Price is Right" for birthday celebration - CBS News

Old 12-12-2013, 07:09 PM

20,317 posts, read 19,298,566 times
Backtracking. It's been almost two years since I did the photos. Don't put them into paper albums unless you can find something that is archival material. Paper pages make photos turn brown. All I did was to sort, organize, get photos OUT of albums. They are in archive safe clear plastic envelopes or sleeves, plunked into metal strong boxes in case of water damage.

It's best to write on the FRONT of the photo in the white border rather than on the back where the ink might react with the paper. For newspaper obits, I photocopied most of them and placed them into safe (archival, acid free) envelopes because newsprint doesn't last. Some photos are now on CD. It's overwhelming to do it all so I did what I could. Everything is labelled, sorted, and placed into safe folders and it's all in metal boxes. Included are the notes my mother typed and some old letters. From my own childhood, not too much, just a few representative photos so that people can see what we looked like. It still fills three big metal boxes.

What sets my mind at ease too, is that it's all in Ancestry if anyway wants the names and how they are related. I will print that out into a book sometime. Ancestry also has a picture of each aunt and uncle and the grandparents and relatives back to as far as photography existed. So that's a backup for anyone who is interested in genealogy and wants to have that as a fun hobby. That's all I can think of but I am SO glad I did the photos. Got that over with. It was very emotional and it made a mess with things all over the place in piles. It's not perfect but it's understandable and it's enough.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:12 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,354,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Yeah, he's always liked animals.

But I haven't liked him since the sexual harassment and wrongful termination lawsuits.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:19 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

But I haven't liked him since the sexual harassment and wrongful termination lawsuits.
That whole debacle was soooo shocking.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:55 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
I dunno if I believed any of it.......

Old 12-13-2013, 07:54 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,482,829 times
Next weekend, I'll be spending a long weekend in Baltimore and also visiting nearby Washington DC to take in a couple of museums. I actually prefer Baltimore because of it's restaurants, nightlife and friendlier people.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,166,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

oops, must've missed all that ~ was just focusing on the saving animals part

Old 12-14-2013, 06:32 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Major Clark, are you going alone??

Baltimore a food destination, who knew? Chef, please tell us the restaurants you plan to go to, I would love to browse the menus.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:32 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,482,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Major Clark, are you going alone??

Baltimore a food destination, who knew? Chef, please tell us the restaurants you plan to go to, I would love to browse the menus.
Ummm ... it's Officer Clark, thank you very much.

Baltimore is a wonderful destination for foodies. Ever hear of Maryland crabcakes, or Maryland she-crab chowder? There are great seafood restaurants, but other types of cuisines as well. I have not found a decent Thai or Chinese restaurant there, however. Baltimore does have - I would argue - the very best Jewish Deli outside of New York City: Attman's Deli on Lombard Street. The kosher corned beef, pastrami, potato knishes, chopped chicken liver, etc. is to die for.

I am going to be staying at an old Victorian turn-of-the-century apartment house that was converted into a hotel. It is in the Mount Vernon neighborhood, Baltimore's "midtown district" just a mere mile uphill from the Inner Harbor. Mount Vernon Place resembles the Place Vendome in Paris with a huge column in the center of the tree-lined square.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:41 PM

9,667 posts, read 11,120,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

When I die everything goes to animals. I can't think of a better way to go broke.

Regarding our previous discussion on survival supplies in the car, I ran across a good deal on "space blankets". I'll append a couple of books as well that I've found useful. The Lundin book is exhaustive; his exposition on body heat and conserving it is unique in the literature. Since the Kindle edition is optimized for large screens I recommend the physical edition. McCann's book deals with survival kits for every situation. You'll never throw away an Altoids tin again.

Amazon.com: Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets (Pack of 10): Health & Personal Care

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Perfect-...ds=john+mccann

http://www.amazon.com/When-All-Hell-...7060514&sr=1-3

I almost forgot. Every car needs a good knife. Here's an excellent knife that sells at a dirt cheap price. The military green is less than the other colors.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement