U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 10:29 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
This endless, boring snowy day. We can't get out of our front door due to the ice.

Don't forget your hand crank radio. This is the one I have:

CC Solar Observer AM/FM/Weather Windup Emergency Radio - C. Crane Company (800) 522-8863

I love it because it's solar powered and it can do so many things. It even has a built in flashlight. I keep it on the windowsill so it remains charged. If it runs out of steam, you can always hand crank it.
I'll have a look at that one. We've gone through two hand-crank radios with alleged solar charging. Both died untimely early deaths. I'd like to have a good one.

Quote:
I wonder what it's like to live in a climate where we aren't always preparing for something or switching from one season to another. One single climate all year long. A pleasant climate. aaaaaaaah.
Our weather announcers are all a bit eccentric. They need to be ... the weather is booooring (in a most wonderful way).

Old 12-16-2013, 12:54 PM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'll have a look at that one. We've gone through two hand-crank radios with alleged solar charging. Both died untimely early deaths. I'd like to have a good one.
I've never bought one because I read too many bad reviews. I do have a crank flashlight which can be described as anemic at best. I hope that someone will post a link to something with unbiased favorable reviews, ideally Amazon. Some dealers post a myriad of favorable reviews that seem a bit too good to be true. This applies to any product.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:56 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
I got these great flashlights at the big box home improvement store, they are LED and sit in a base which plugs into the wall outlet. They are motion activated (no clunking around in the dark) and when the power is out they come on steadily automatically. They are small, only about six inches long. They go about eight hours on a charge. I have one in each room so no fumbling for a light switch in the dark. They weren't very expensive, either. They made great gifts for my Dad's RV and I got some for Mom, I'm glad I did now that she's all alone.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:57 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

LMAO Clark, sixteen pairs of shoes is minimalist. I recently pared down to about eighty.

Yeah ... but you don't understand ... I'm a guy! Don't you know that Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blahnik do not make shoes for guys???

Old 12-16-2013, 06:11 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Oops! I'm sooooo embarrassed.

Jimmy Choo does make shoes for men ... the styles are just plain weird.

Anyway, I own something like 65 long sleeve shirts, 35 short sleeve shirts, 30 different colored T-shirts, 20 knit polo shirts, and about a dozen sweaters.

I do not own own a single pair of blue jeans anymore. I gave them up when I turned 50. For casual wear I prefer to wear Khakis and chinos. I try to dress "age appropriate" and not the way I dressed when I was 20 and in college.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:25 PM

18,852 posts, read 32,041,543 times
Quote:
It sounds hard to leave a place like that--a place filled with animals, and lots of land and an entire lifestyle. But you have to face up to it and living some place else will be more realistic and easier.
I wanted to quote this..because I work with a lot of seniors, who retire to a rural area, and then...health issues, and they need to live close in town, can't drive any longer...the ideal place to retire is a nightmare for an elderly person with health issues, and transportation limitations.

So, think carefully about that...when retiring.

As for my move, I will be working on putting things away for awhile. It is a lot of stuff. But, when I look at where it all was three months ago, compared to today, it is amazing...I have done a tremendous amount of work...but, I have missed the gym for a few months too...time to get back to my yoga routines.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:48 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Quote:
I wonder what it's like to live in a climate where we aren't always preparing for something or switching from one season to another. One single climate all year long. A pleasant climate. aaaaaaaah.
That description is close to, but not quite what we have in Southern California. We do not really have "one single climate all year long" but the differences are not at all extreme and to be honest there is no real "winter". During our "winter" the record low for a year is likely to be about 29, 30, or 31 degrees Fahrenheit overnight (and that low is damn rare) and in the low 50's during the day. Recently we had three nights in a row of mid-thirties, which is "cold" for us, and then it warmed up some. Today it was in the 80's, but that is "warm" for the "winter".

It doesn't rain during the summer here (at all, or if it does it's considered a freak occurrence); October through April or May pretty much encompasses all the yearly rainfall, with the heaviest months being Dec., Jan., and Feb., so that's another way our climate is not a single one year round.

If I travel back east (to us anything along the Mississippi River or beyond is "back east") during the dry season I have to remember to take an umbrella with me, and it always seems odd.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
ani, don't fret. I tackle one room at a time, one pile at a time. I'm sure you're well organized anyway, it's just a matter of going through and getting ruthless.

I just put together, from three cardboard banker's boxes, "my life" from birth through college in ONE large 3-ring notebook. That is a huge savings on space. I was saving (hoarding?) things I was afraid to let go of (even stuff from h.s., LOL) of personal history items thinking that more is better. It was OVERWHELMING. No one in their right mind in my family would give a rat's a** about my personal mementoes. I'm reducing about 12 boxes of family photos down to 3. Less is more, think of it that way.

(of course now everything that was once in my house is now in my car, LOL)

I went through my kitchen drawers and found:

3 citrus squeezers, 4 cheese slicers, 4 potato mashers, a dozen spatulas, knives I haven't used since the 1970s, whole sets of flatware that if I lived three more lifetimes I would never use, serving dishes enough for an army, etc etc. I'm putting all these things in the playpen (yes, I'm filling my house back up just as fast as I'm emptying it ) and no one gets to leave the Christmas gathering without taking at least one thing.

You can do this. Arm yourself with tubs, boxes, labels, markers, notebooks for the smaller stuff. For the large stuff, I would think about what I would take to a small seaside cottage if I had the good luck of ever moving to one.
Well . . . the personal history stuff . . . I have been chipping away at it for a long time.

It is my furniture and all the collectibles . . . I just can't bear to think about life without these things, yet they are "things." It is just that I tied up so much of my life in decorating and collecting . . . my "nest" was always the most important thing as far as my feeling secure and in an environment where I am functional and productive (if that even makes sense).

Uggghh - that sounds so self-involved.

I just can't bear to see any of it go. A lifetime of very deliberate collecting. I get sick thinking of having to give any of it up, yet that is what I am going to have to do.

Hubby promised me a baby grand 20 years ago and we kept putting it off . . . now I am soooo glad I never got one as I would be devastated to have to give it up.

Yes, that is how morose my thinking has become. All this carefully chosen "stuff."

Old 12-16-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Ani, I feel your pain. Once you get into the groove it goes get easier. Keep in mind stuff owns you at a point, then the light bulb goes off.
That is exactly where I am, CCcgirl. The stuff owns me as much as I own it.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Anifani, I just cleaned out and sold a house my SO had lived in for over 40 years. It takes stages to clean out a house, I learned that. If you don't feel up to it, do you have any friends or family who can help you?

My SO just could not wrap his head around the job, which seemed overwhelming to him. Once he let me do it for him, it was done within a month. Many of you tracked my progress on the chat here. The goal is get rid of stuff. Not make money on a garage sale, unless you have expensive antiques, the rest is just stuff, and garage sales are a lot of work and energy.

Good luck to you. Sending. You positive energy.
I won't make money off my stuff - even the expensive antiques. The only way to do that is through dealers and it is a long process . . . and a hassle (as I am sure you know all about). I tend to donate and take it as a tax write off or give to friends. Yard sales are hell and for me, not worth the hassle.

No, there is no one to help. Oh, I have friends that would chip in as they could but I would never ask anyone to do that. I will have to hire professional help at some point as far as actually packing in boxes.

I think what I am going to do is rent a condo and start moving stuff in over a three month period. That way, I can get hubby settled and then deal with getting things moved out and staging what is left so I can put the house on the market. If he has to have surgery, then he can recuperate undisturbed while the house is being shown.

I have already given a few of the antiques to my son and we will see what else he can accommodate . . . that gives me a lot of pleasure knowing he and his lovely fiancee are enjoying things I have treasured for decades.

I dread it and dread having to pay movers and dread having to pay rent but the situation is not typical and so I just don't know what else to do. Things didn't unfold as we had expected . . . so here we are, lol.

I very much appreciate your good wishes! Somehow, it will work out. I will just have to buck up and do what has to be done, including giving up at least some of my "things."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement